Mander Organ Builders Forum

Waxy O'connor's, Glasgow

James Goldrick

It was in the Cygnet restaurant. The organ was removed c1980 to Ventnor on the Isle of Wight (into a private basement theatre below a jewellers' shop) when its owners relocated. It was sold some years ago now and I believe resides in Australia.

When in Worcester the organ (a Compton ex Pavilion, Reading for those who might actually want to know) somehow acquired the nickname "The Countess" and Nigel Ogden did actually compose "The Countess of Worcester Waltz" for it, although I've only ever heard it once, and suspect that not even Nigel now has a copy!

And the Mitsukoshi store in Tokyo which has a three manual Wurlitzer. Apparently because of the temperature/humidity all the ivories are attached to the keys with tiny brass screws rather than glue.

I was a student in Worcester from 1976 - 1980 and remember attending an event in the restaurant to mark some degree of restoration or refurbishment of the instrument. There was a celebrity reopening which may when have been Nigel Ogden but I can't honestly remember. It seems sad that the instrument was moved so soon after this event and even sadder that its now in Australia.

Guest Lee Blick

It would be nice to go somewhere where the publican is an organist and there is an organ in the bar. Perhaps when the RCO does finally get to move into their 50,000 square foot paradise they could put one in the members bar.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

It's a long time ago, maybe twenty years, but I have a vague recollection that I once went into the 'Star Inn' at Harome in North Yorkshire and that there was an organ in there - or have I imagined it?