Mander Organ Builders Forum

Westminster Cathedral

James Goldrick

Could someone please explain to me the details of the organs of Westminster Cathedral?

The NPOR details are very confusing to one who is not familiar with the building and I am not exactly clear on how many organs are actually in the building. (I visited it for the first time last Christmas for High Mass followed by Messiaen's Nativite - Definitely the highlight of the trip)

If someone could detail the position and function of each organ and console, it would be of great help.

Also, is the West End console still tubular pneumatic, as per NPOR?

Thanks

JG

Very briefly as I am just about to leave my computer, two organs - big Willis on the West End gallery with an attached 4 manual console. At tuther end of the building a smaller organ in what looks like two wardrobes on the North and South side of the Apse (I think it is by Lewis). Next to that, an even bigger 4 manual (WIllis?) console which can control both the West end instrument and the smaller east end instrument.

I will leave it up to others to add stuff such as action / layout etc..... I can see why you might be confused if you dont know the place and you have looked it up on NPOR!

Finally, if you stand half way up the nave when the West End organ is playing - it is the most wonderful sound....but then again, I love Willis organs!

Best wishes

Richard

Next to that, an even bigger 4 manual (WIllis?) console which can control both the West end instrument and the smaller east end instrument.

Hasn't this been replaced by something much smaller now?

AJJ

Hasn't this been replaced by something much smaller now?

AJJ

Yes, a two manual. I think with tabs, if I remember correctly... I got to play it a few years ago, it still plays part but no longer all of the west end Willis. It does include the Tuba! The delay is massive, we had great fun playing fanfares and then listening to them with folded arms!!