Mander Organ Builders Forum

Worcester Cathedral Nave Organ

Guest Roffensis

Guest Roffensis

Following the recent removal of the organ at Worcester, with all the "hoo haa" that has caused, it occurs to me to pose a few questions, poignant, and well meant.

1) Am I correct in thinking Nicholsons have the pipework of the old instrument?

2) Is it Nicholsons who are to build the nave organ?

3) Is this instrument to be along French lines?

4) Do we accept that there are many out there who have been very against the old organ being outed?

5) Do we accept that the old organ was particularly at ease with the French repertoire?

6) Would it not be a good compromise to actually re use the old organ pipework for the nave organ therefore?

7) Why go the expense of new pipework when the old organ did in fact sound well indeed, it was it's position, and trying to do too much "accross" the building, that was part of its considered shortcomings?

8) The soundboards etc doubtless needed restoration, but is it not so that the organ could be given a new lease of life in the cathedral still?

These are serious questions that I feel should be addressed properly, regardless of those who had little praise for the job, it did have its very many admirers, and it is, and will be missed. Politically and musically, this move could pay very great dividends both in terms of financial outlay, and also in terms of actually listening to those who did love the old organ.

Worcester is getting its new organ, but does that necessarily mean the old has to be scrapped? I cannot see why. Furthermore, it could possibly (? time lag?) be used still with the transept organ in just the way it was, as the new Tickell organ will be. Either way, even with a new Pedal.....That to me spells out an incredibly versatile cathedral for music, and the best of both worlds.

I hope we can keep this discussion sensible, and that there will be serious thought about it.

Richard.

Guest Roffensis
I am sorry but I think this thread has the potential going round in circles just as the Ally Pally threads have done.

Boring.

Really.

R

In the briefest possible terms:

Worcester Cathedral has submitted its plans in very great detail to the Cathedrals' Fabric Commission for England (CFCE) and the scheme has been agreed with them. Their membership includes organ advisers of national standing and the Cathedral has had to put its case in a number of documents, the longest of which exceeded 90 pages.

The CFCE has agreed to the plans for the Quire and Transept sections of the overall plan. It has agreed with the concept of the Nave organ and its proposed location, but we are still negotiating the case design and, because this latter is so critical to the final specification of the instrument, its ultimate content.

While these negotiations are taking place, neither I nor the Cathedral is prepared to discuss the matter. I can assure you, however, that I will be the first to share these details with members of this discussion group once the scheme of the Nave instrument is settled.

I am sure that members of the group will understand that, whilst there is much strong feeling about the merits and shortcomings of the old instrument in our cathedral, it is most important that we as a Cathedral, including Chapter, music staff and our worshipping congregations, take time to get these details sorted in an orderly way which will be to the best possible musical outcome for the future.

I shall not contribute again to this thread and hope that you will all have the good grace to accept our position. I am more than happy to continue to post information and progress for the Quire organ in the meantime and hope that it will be of interest to members.

In the meantime, if you wish to contribute to the fundraising for our new instruments, please telephone the Cathedral (01905 28854) and ask to speak to the Appeal Office who will be delighted to accept your financial contributions.

Adrian Lucas

Master of the Choristers and Organist.

Guest Roffensis

I shall not contribute again to this thread and hope that you will all have the good grace to accept our position. I am more than happy to continue to post information and progress for the Quire organ in the meantime and hope that it will be of interest to members.

In the meantime, if you wish to contribute to the fundraising for our new instruments, please telephone the Cathedral (01905 28854) and ask to speak to the Appeal Office who will be delighted to accept your financial contributions.

Adrian Lucas

Master of the Choristers and Organist.

I agree with Mr. Lucas, a case of wait and see. Thank you Mr. Lucas for taking the time to reply to my query, it is very kind of you, I very much appreciate it.

Richard

"...I can assure you, however, that I will be the first to share these details with members of this discussion group.........."

That is greatly appreciated by me and I am sure everyone else who has not only learned a great deal from the recent thread you started, photos and all, but also from the brief and appropriate answers regarding this thread. Thanks for the time you have given so far!

Richard Harrison