Mander Organ Builders Forum

Hymns....

Peter Clark

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,2030848,00.html

An encouraging piece of writing (in the sense that it might get people thinking/talkng) or a lament for times past?

Peter

================================

As someone who "can write a bit," I find myself wanting to hurl bricks at TV screens or fire rubber bullets at clergymen. (I gave up the Kalachnikov for Lent).

There is a massive difference from words and music which have "popular appeal," and words and music which are either sentimental and weak, or just sensational.

It is the difference between a TV programme like "Eastenders," which pretends to be about "life" but is actually sensational, false and not remotely edifying.

Compare it to the new programme "Skins," which IS about life, and is one of the best written dramas I have ever watched, and yet it has immediate popular appeal.

I have always argued that the problem is not about what is "modern" or "ancient," or even about what is "popular" or "elitist."

The problem is exculsively concerned with what is patently bad, and whilst there have always been poor quality hymns, the best still have outstanding popular appeal.

The one thing I NEVER want to see is some sort of "retro" movement in church music; just because it happens to be old and traditional. Equally, I have been disgusted by so-called "modern" church music; almost none of which is any better than "Eastender's at prayer."

But of course, it all starts with words doesn't it?

If we are merely trying to put new wine in old bottles, what can we expect? Maturity?

Perhaps if they gave us the words, we could give them the music.

MM

Greatly encouraging, and deserving of wide distribution.

(It is not so long ago that I had cause to fetch a so-called hymn book from downstairs just before the start of a service. It was 'Mission "Praise"', and I made a point of using tongs to carry it.) At least if one chooses all the music for services one has the chance to bias the eventual scheme towards quality - especially if the final arbiter (under Canon B20) is inclined to be too busy to alter what has already conveniently been chosen for him or her.

Guest Lee Blick
Compare it to the new programme "Skins," which IS about life, and is one of the best written dramas I have ever watched,

Sorry, but that so called 'drama' is full of stereotypes, ridiculous storylines and poor acting. It has to be one of the worst programmes C4 has commsioned in recent years. I guess your judgement has been clouded by the titilation of the young things who are the focus of the show. :wacko:

Both shows have one thing in common, it is generally poor quality, lowest common denominator popular entertainment. How you can describe it as anything other than that defeats me.

There can be little doubt that their quality would be improved if the congregation picked one or two.

You reckon? Not in my neck of the woods it wouldn't! :angry:

(I gave up the Kalachnikov for Lent).

Ah well, the RCO will sleep easy tonight....

Sorry, but that so called 'drama' is full of stereotypes, ridiculous storylines and poor acting. It has to be one of the worst programmes C4 has commsioned in recent years. I guess your judgement has been clouded by the titilation of the young things who are the focus of the show. :wacko:

=======================

I was referring to the writing principally. As for ridiculous storylines, they don't come much dafter than "The taming of the shrew." Just think "restoration comedy," and you'll get the idea.

MM