Mander Organ Builders Forum

Did Ralph Downes Die A Disappointed Man?

MusingMuso

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
Well, I agree, in principle. However, I am still faintly surprised* when I peruse a proposed specification which reads something like this:

PEDAL ORGAN

Open Diapason 16

Bourdon 16

Principal 8

Flute 8

Super Octave 4

Trombone 16

Trumpet 8

Great to Pedal

Swell to Pedal

GREAT ORGAN

Bourdon 16

Open Diapason 8

Stopped Diapason 8

Principal 4

Nason Flute 4

Nazard 2 2/3

Fifteenth 2

Tierce 1 3/5

Furniture (19-22-26-29) IV

Trumpet 8

Cremona 8

Swell to Great

SWELL ORGAN

Open Diapason 8

Rohr Flute 8

Viola da Gamba 8

Voix Célestes (TC) 8

Gemshorn 4

Open Flute 4

Flageolet 2

Mixture (15-19-22-26) IV

Bassoon 16

Hautboy 8

Cornopean 8

Tremulant

Mechanical action.

My surprise stems, not simply from the un-imaginative predictability, rather from the subsequent copy, which invariably reads: "Consultant: (insert favourite name) ". I fail to understand why someone would pay a third party for designing the above 'instrument' - it took me no longer than the time needed to type the text into this box. I realise that an 'Aubertin' organ (or similar) is not suitable for every church - but surely we can introduce a little more individuality than this?

* Perhaps 'bemused' is a more apposite word.

But what if this was "right" for the liturgy / repertoire requirements of a church? I have a wide repertoire, and enjoy accompanying the liturgy and would be very happy with this spec... Might even go so far as to dirch the Tierce in favour of a Gamba..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what if this was "right" for the liturgy / repertoire requirements of a church? I have a wide repertoire, and enjoy accompanying the liturgy and would be very happy with this spec... Might even go so far as to dirch the Tierce in favour of a Gamba..

A valid point. I also agree about the Tierce - although I would probably just ditch it :blink: . I have a Gamba on my own GO and use it in every service.

However, I still would not wish to pay a third party for drawing-up such a scheme. I am not convinced that appointing a consultant to oversee a rebuild or a restoration is always either necessary or beneficial. A case in point is the re-commissioning of the organ at Christchurch Priory which took place about eight years ago.