Mander Organ Builders Forum

Does Your Church/cathedral Do Anything Special For Mothering Sunday

Guest Lee Blick

Guest Lee Blick

What does your church do? Do you have special anthems or music? Do you get your little ones to perform something?

What does your church do? Do you have special anthems or music? Do you get your little ones to perform something?

It is also Latare Sunday,the 4th of Lent and this year it follows St Patrick's Day so we've a bit pf a problem. Usually I bend the rules a bit and stick in a Marian hymn (Many Immaculate to Bach's wonderful harmonisations) but as Mothering Sunday is not strictly a liturgical festival we tend to stick with the theme of the day. But there'll be a "big" voluntary - the middle section of the Fantasia in G - following the inevitable Hail Glorious St Patrick. (Well we did O Great St David a couple of weeks ago so fair's fair!)

What one might call a liturgical fresh fruit salad.

Peter

We have a special "all age" eucharist in the morning to which the local guide, brownie & cub packs are invited. There will be posies.

(I hate the whole concept of special "all age" services, surely every service should be open to people of all ages so to label occasional services in this way is to send out a clear message that we don't think our usual services are suitable for everyone. In my experience "all age worship" means "wet and watered down kiddies service" anyway so it doesn't pass the ronseal test.)

In previous years we've used settings of the magnificat instead of a more usual anthem, especially those that feature a treble/sop solo like Stanford in G or Dyson in F. This year I've put down the Carter "Mary's Magnificat" from NCAB.

As a father I've always found the whole concept of the occasion difficult to accept. I really think its an outdated anachcronism that should be scrapped. What my two chorister daughters will make of it all, bearing in mind that they've been abandoned by their mother who's run off with a bit of rough, I really don't know.

We revert to lent 4 for evensong.

Guest Barry Oakley

We have a special "all age" eucharist in the morning to which the local guide, brownie & cub packs are invited. There will be posies.

(I hate the whole concept of special "all age" services, surely every service should be open to people of all ages so to label occasional services in this way is to send out a clear message that we don't think our usual services are suitable for everyone. In my experience "all age worship" means "wet and watered down kiddies service" anyway so it doesn't pass the ronseal test.)

It irks me to. I hate to see the expression "Family Communion" or "Family Eucharist". Surely all services are for all age groups.

We have the usual delights of our vicar and 'family services' - normally lets hit the lowest common denominator. Unfortunatly the bloke doesn't have a built in sense of embarassment.

Hence Shine Jesus Shine, for the beauty of the earth (every family service :lol:) and all things bed and breakfast.

The boys are singing brother James air because it was always the favourite of the Choirmasters now desceased Mother, and the organ voluntary is one of my own mothers favourites, the original (Herbert Chappell) songs of praise music (when it was still an organ solo.)

Oh well, Ebdon responses at Evensong are somewhat more appropriate

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
But there'll be a "big" voluntary - the middle section of the Fantasia in G

Peter

I presume ending on a G major chord instead of the interrrupted cadence? Does anyone else play this as a "stand alone"? I'm having to do so later today as I've been asked to play a coffin out to it.

I presume ending on a G major chord instead of the interrrupted cadence? Does anyone else play this as a "stand alone"? I'm having to do so later today as I've been asked to play a coffin out to it.

Yes, I do, quite often. I don't like the final section ; doesn't feel particularly Bach-y to me.