Mander Organ Builders Forum

Staff Appraisals

nfortin

Surely the in the event of a work to rule, the penultimate chord of ‘Solus ad Victimam’ should be the one omitted on the grounds of either (i) too many notes per hand, or (ii) to many tonalities for single chord.

=============================#

This would surely be covered by "Health and safety legislation" if there were risk of injury?

I'm not quite sure if a tone-cluster wouldn't qualify as "psychologically damaging" to those brought up and trained in diatonic harmony.

MM

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

=============================#

This would surely be covered by "Health and safety legislation" if there were risk of injury?

I'm not quite sure if a tone-cluster wouldn't qualify as "psychologically damaging" to those brought up and trained in diatonic harmony.

MM

I went to the doctor with an ear problem the other week. After peering through the otoscope, she pronounced that I had a traumatised ear canal. The thought occurred to me that I must have been listening to too much 20th century organ music.

Guest Barry Williams
Under the terms of the Competition Act 1998 which came into force in 2000, neither the ISM - nor any other professional body in any discipline, e.g. architects - may now recommend fees; this applies to the RSCM as well.

It is permissible, however, to publish the results of a survey of fees (independently conducted) charged by members, and the ISM Information Sheet link which you mention is indeed a survey of fees charged by ISM members working as professional organists in places of worship between September 2004 and September 2005. As you'll see at the link, the survey was carried out by the Statistical Services Centre at Reading University; associations which hitherto recommended fees are not allowed to conduct these surveys.

I would be interested to know exactly which section (or sections) of the Competition Act applies in the way that has been described in the first paragraph above.

The RSCM recommends a scale of fees, but this is available to members only.

Barry Williams

Under the terms of the Competition Act 1998 which came into force in 2000, neither the ISM - nor any other professional body in any discipline, e.g. architects - may now recommend fees; this applies to the RSCM as well.

It is permissible, however, to publish the results of a survey of fees (independently conducted) charged by members, and the ISM Information Sheet link which you mention is indeed a survey of fees charged by ISM members working as professional organists in places of worship between September 2004 and September 2005. As you'll see at the link, the survey was carried out by the Statistical Services Centre at Reading University; associations which hitherto recommended fees are not allowed to conduct these surveys.

===========================

Nonsense!

You simply turn it into a mathematical puzzle and distribute it as such.

If a cathedral organist (A) receives a fee of £100 for a wedding, and large town-parish organist (B ) receives £60, how much would village organist (C ) receive, if he were to be paid 66.66% of organist (C's ) fee, or 40% of (A's ) fee?

How much would each receive, if the fee for a funeral was only 66.66% of that received for a wedding?

:rolleyes:

MM

I went to the doctor with an ear problem the other week. After peering through the otoscope, she pronounced that I had a traumatised ear canal. The thought occurred to me that I must have been listening to too much 20th century organ music.

==========================

Consider yourself lucky, with those dreadfully hard organ benches.

There's nothing worse than a touch of the "Farmer Giles" and a doctor's periscope.

MM

===========================

Nonsense!

You simply turn it into a mathematical puzzle and distribute it as such.

If a cathedral organist (A) receives a fee of £100 for a wedding, and large town-parish organist (B ) receives £60, how much would village organist (C ) receive, if he were to be paid 66.66% of organist (C's ) fee, or 40% of (A's ) fee?

How much would each receive, if the fee for a funeral was only 66.66% of that received for a wedding?

:D

MM

You been at the communion wine again? :rolleyes: