Mander Organ Builders Forum

Oxford Trip Prelims

David Coram

Just to get a rough idea of numbers, responses please for who'd be up for a Saturday in Oxford sometime in October, and an indication of the time you'd be able to get there.

If there are enough then a Friday night stopover with a recital by someone might also be a possibility, so an indication of this seperately would be good. Because the Aubertin would be the main interest, the suggestion would be splitting into two groups - one half would spend the whole AM period there, while the other half goes round 3 or 4 other interesting organs in walking distance, then vice versa after lunch.

Just to stress, after a concerned PM arrived - this is entirely hypothetical, and purely to see what we might be dealing with in terms of numbers BEFORE making any approach to busy colleges to find out whether it's even possible or not!

It may well be that in the end half a dozen people spend an hour there and then go to the pub, but the number of people in attendance at Marlborough was quite a surprise to me (and others). Oxford colleges on Saturday lunchtimes are busy places and we need to be reasonably certain of our facts.

Guest Cynic
Just to get a rough idea of numbers, responses please for who'd be up for a Saturday in Oxford sometime in October,

I'd be sorry to miss this, but October (and Saturdays in particular) is not a terribly good month for me.

Why did we particularly think of October? I ask because I think you would find colleges etc. much more likely to be flexible in September i.e. before term is under way.

I'd be pleased to come, pending availability, on a Saturday in either Sept or October.

When I was an undergraduate I arranged a trip for my old Organists Assoc. on a Saturday during term time which included visits to Christ Church, Queens and a couple of other colleges that seemed to work out ok.

Yes, I'd be up for this - September Saturdays look easier than October Saturdays, except the first one...

It's a splendid idea, almost like we've become an Organists' Association but without the endless (timeless?) committee meetings!

...almost like we've become an Organists' Association but without the endless (timeless?) committee meetings!

Ah! Well, I was coming to that. Thank you for mentioning it. Any volunteers to head up the Tie and Neckwear Sub-Committee - it would be nice to get a special commemorative one, perhaps with a nice organ pipe motif, in time for this visit. Be warned - whoever takes up this post will have the thorny problem of deciding on colour...

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

Just wondered David, if you received the Aubertin pictures I sent to your Email address. If not, I shall re-send somehow.

N

Morning. Yes, but there won't be an organ.

Evening. (Well, technically, it is now morning.)

I suspected that this may be the case.

However, October (or even September) is a long way off. Does anyone fancy organising something, somewhere, a little sooner?