Mander Organ Builders Forum

Pastorale In F Bwv 590/mad Rush

Peter Clark

Well known is the curious conclusion to the first section of the Pastorale - although clearly rooted in F major the piece finishes with an A minor cadence. Philip Glass's Mad Rush, similarly rooted in F, also ends on a chord of A minor. Coincidence?

Peter

Well known is the curious conclusion to the first section of the Pastorale - although clearly rooted in F major the piece finishes with an A minor cadence. Philip Glass's Mad Rush, similarly rooted in F, also ends on a chord of A minor. Coincidence?

Peter

=============================

In one of Reger's organ-works, there is a similar metamorphisis, transmorphisis; or whatever it is that they call neo-plagiarism.

In that, not only do you hear almost a direct copy of the Bach A Minor Prelude & Fugue (you know the one without my digging out the BWV number), and throughout the work, you just know that Reger followed the structure of the Bach, and possibly had the copy open as he wrote his own work.

I think it would be interesting if Glass wrote some sort of musical Labyrinth based on that of Bach.

Then we would be able to ask, "Anyone heard the Glass "Harmonica?"

MM

=============================

In one of Reger's organ-works, there is a similar metamorphisis, transmorphisis; or whatever it is that they call neo-plagiarism.

In that, not only do you hear almost a direct copy of the Bach A Minor Prelude & Fugue (you know the one without my digging out the BWV number), and throughout the work, you just know that Reger followed the structure of the Bach, and possibly had the copy open as he wrote his own work.

I think it would be interesting if Glass wrote some sort of musical Labyrinth based on that of Bach.

Then we would be able to ask, "Anyone heard the Glass "Harmonica?"

MM

In Reger's short Chorale Prelude on Lobe den Herren there is at one point a remarkable resemblance to Bach's first piece from the 18, Komm heileger Geist and though Reger's is much smaller in scale of course one figure does seem to suggest again that Reger had a copy of his predecessor's piece before him as he wrote....

P