Mander Organ Builders Forum

Cheltenham

nfortin

Further to David Coram's ongoing thread re. a possible Oxford trip, I would be prepared to put together a day in my home town of Cheltenham if there was sufficient interest.

With no guarantees at this stage as to which venues would agree to a visit, there are a number of interesting organs in the town including:-

4M Hill in All Saints', known locally as "The Holst Church"

4M Hunter in Christchurch

3M Rushworth & D. in the Town Hall

3M Tickell in the Ladies' College

3M H&H in Cheltenham College

2M Blank (I think - Cynic will correct if necessary!) in St. Gregory's RC.)

I'd also ask anyone attending to be at least prepared to hear the Wyvern toaster in my own church of St. Mary's, Charlton Kings. If you're happy not to compare it with a top-quality pipe organ, but judge it for what it is, I think you'll be impressed.

It might be possible to include (the 4m Jones-Walker-Willis-everyone and his dog but very fine) organ in Tewkesbury Abbey too.

Anyone interested?

Further to David Coram's ongoing thread re. a possible Oxford trip, I would be prepared to put together a day in my home town of Cheltenham if there was sufficient interest.

With no guarantees at this stage as to which venues would agree to a visit, there are a number of interesting organs in the town including:-

I'd also ask anyone attending to be at least prepared to hear the Wyvern toaster in my own church of St. Mary's, Charlton Kings. If you're happy not to compare it with a top-quality pipe organ, but judge it for what it is, I think you'll be impressed.

It might be possible to include (the 4m Jones-Walker-Willis-everyone and his dog but very fine) organ in Tewkesbury Abbey too.

Anyone interested?

In principle, yes - depending on whether you may be willing and able to arrange this event either at half-term, or possibly at the beginning of the summer holiday. However, I realise that these times may not be suitable for everyone here.

Thank you for the offer though, Neil. Please keep me informed of any further developments regarding this possibility.

B)

Guest Cynic

Anyone interested?

When I saw this topic go up on the board, I assumed that it was to talk about organist/director of music posts (that few people want) because of recent threads! I agree that there are some very interesting organs, but it's not a trip I would be likely to make myself having played all the above (save the toaster!) to my heart's content at one time or another. Mind you, this will leave more playing time for everyone else.

The Blank organ at St.Gregory's is a superb and unusual musical instrument, that would definitely be worth a visit; next obligatory one should be Cheltenham College - the large three-decker there is not particularly special in itself but it's just wonderful in the (very handsome) chapel. Incidentally, though everyone keeps calling this an H&H, it's 90% Norman and Beard from the early days of the 20th century.

You have missed one: the 3-decker Hunter at SS.Philip and James, Leckhampton is splendid and in completely original condition.

The brand-new Tickell in Cheltenham Ladies College is certainly worth a visit, however this has to be viewed as a triumph over adversity. The acoustic is dreadful and however fine the instrument is (and it's superbly made and voiced) the situation is virtually a no-hoper IMHO. Strangely, none of us had expected this.... we always put the faliure of the previous organ down to its curious position (tucked under the stage and speaking through a 2' high grille).

Yes, interested, dates permitting. Parents-in-law live within yards of St. Mary's Charlton Kings, so if the date coincides with a visit, I will definitely join the throng!

You have missed one: the 3-decker Hunter at SS.Philip and James, Leckhampton is splendid and in completely original condition.

It wasn't supposed to be a complete list. Its a long time since I played "Pip & Jim" but I don't recall being particularly excited by it. There are further 3M instruments at St. Matthew's (Willis), St. Luke's (Brindly & Foster), Holy Apostles (Nicholsons), Holy Trinity (A J Price), St. Peter's Leckhampton (HNB), St. Stephen's (Monk / HNB), Dean Close School (unrecognisable Hill, altered & extended by Percy Daniels), and The University Chapel (formerly St. Paul's College, A J Price / Walker). Not bad for a town of this size.

• 6 months later...

Such a shame I joined this forum so late! I'm a Cheltenham boy in exile in the north and would love to have done a crawl in Chelters! I played the organ in St Stephen's for a while when Father Gott was the incumbent - I remember him striding up the nave with a roll up in his mouth puffing like the Flying Scotsman in full glory! Not even the incense could mask that tobacco. Would love to hear the beauty installed in Pricess Hall of the Ladies College - anyone have opinions on that organ?

Actually I haven't yet got round to organising anything, perhaps I'll look for a date in the spring.

The Dean Close organ is up to Daniel's usual quality shall we say. St. Stephen's I know less well, but have played, my memory of it is that its actually very gentle and not a shrieking organ at all.

St Stephen's does have a gentle quality, but in the 80's when I played it, the reeds all needed re regulating. I remember the Violone on the pedal used to buzz quite loudly in its bottom octave! The Swell Celeste is/was probably one of the most restful I've ever come across, being reminiscent of a Father Willis Vox Angelica but of only one rank.