Mander Organ Builders Forum

Bits Of Metal Rattling

mwl1

Two of the organs I play seem to have small bits of metal adrift in one of their Open Diapason pipes. They rattle in an irksome fashion when the note is played.

Remember me - the organist from Scarthingwell with no tuner!! So is there an easy way to put this right?

Two of the organs I play seem to have small bits of metal adrift in one of their Open Diapason pipes. They rattle in an irksome fashion when the note is played.

Remember me - the organist from Scarthingwell with no tuner!! So is there an easy way to put this right?

Yes. Wedge the note down, then find which of the display pipes it is. By holding the pipe firmly at the foot you'll ascertain whether it is this pipe which is rattling, or something else. Assuming it is, check gingerly (look if you can) that any cloth tape securing it up is still there, so it won't fall out - more likely it'll be hooked over a pin, and it's this point that is rattling. In which case, just rock or twist the pipe gently and slighly until it stops.

Do not put your hand in or attempt to alter the position of the upper or lower lips or the languid (flat bit inside), btw.

Guest Geoff McMahon

It is almost certainly the tuning tongue which is a regular source of rattles, particularly in zinc pipes. Move it very slightly without altering the tuning and it should be OK.

John Pike Mander