Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recitals

Peter Clark

This Wednesday (23rd June), Clive Driskill-Smith plays at Christchurch Priory in Dorset. Doors open at 7 for 7.30pm.

The programme is:

Flourish for an Occasion - WILLIAM HARRIS (1883-1973)

Choral No 2 - CESAR FRANCK (1822-1890)

Organ Concerto Op 4 No 5 in F - G. F. HANDEL (1685-1759)

Larghetto in F# minor - S. S. WESLEY (1810-1876)

Tuba Tune - NORMAN COCKER (1889-1953)

Fantasia in F Minor K.608 - W. A. MOZART (1756-1791)

Salamanca - GUY BOVET (b.1942)

Variations sur un Noël - MARCEL DUPRE (1886-1971)

The annual evening concert series at Christchurch is excellent and deserves to be better known. Forthcoming recitals in this year's series include Margaret Phillips, Thomas Heywood, Carleton Etherington and Hugh Morris. The ticket price (£6) is modest, and the setting is inspirational. All the recitals use the (mobile) nave console. There is ample parking, and a good collection of pubs and restaurants for post- (or pre-) concert imbibing...

More information about the venue at http://www.christchurchpriory.org/.

My wife and I went to see Clive's recital at Christchurch (Priory) and enjoyed it enormously. A good, non-frivolous, programme played to an extremely high standard. A most musical and technically superb evening. Organ playing of the first order!

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I would mention what an enjoyable evening was had, at St Giles, in Pontefract last night. ( enjoyable and Pontefract in the same sentence too :D ) A staggering performance was given by a local ex Wakefield lad, by the name of John Scott, riveting stuff indeed

Peter

.... enjoyable and Pontefract in the same sentence too...

Now then, now then, Young Peter. Some of us are proud of our origin! :D

(I was actually born at the medical centre within the grounds of Frickley Colliery, close to my grandparent's home, which had in its address, "Near Pontefract". The mine has long disappeared, but the brass band was still going last time I visited.)

Guest Hector5

For those of you in France at the end of July, I shall be playing a recital at Meursault (see details below) in aid of their organ restoration. They have been very kind and awarded me honorary life membership of The Association of Friends of the Organ of the Church of St Nicholas at Meursault for helping them move the restoration along a notch or two. It is hoped that it will be restored by Formintelli, even possibly at the end of the year. If you are able, do come as it's an amazing instrument. I have a key, so could arrange for interested parties to come and try the organ. PM me privately if you're interested. The website is still a work in progress, although the English side has recently been updated, and I hope to have it completed by the 31st July. The revised address is www.meursaultorgue.com. Details of the recital are as follows:

M E U R S A U L T

Église Saint Nicolas

En accompagnement du

Festival Musical de Bach à Bacchus

et en coopération avec

l’Agence de Tourisme de Meursault,

les Amis de l’Orgue de l’Église Saint Nicolas de Meursault*

v o u s i n v i t e n t

au

RÉCITAL D’ORGUE

par

P A U L I S O M

Consultant des Orgues du Diocèse de Rochester, Angleterre,

Samedi 31 Juillet 2010 à 20h30

sur le précieux Mutin & Cavallé-Coll orgue de l’église.

Œuvres par :

Johann Sebastian Bach, Augustin Barié, Denis Bédard, André Fleury, Alexandre Guilmant, Gustav Hägg,

Samuel Rousseau, Charles-Marie Widor.

Le récital est donné en faveur de la restauration de cet orgue important et votre générosité sera beaucoup appréciée.

*Association régie par la loi du 1er juillet 1901

Derby Cathedral currently have recitals going on Wednesday evenings, 7.45pm. £5 each except one in August which is £10.

Programmes http://www.concert-diary.com/?f_Venue=Derby+Cathedral

In particular, Francis Jackson is doing one on the 21st July - so I will be heading down for a chance to hear him, given the constant good reports about his recitals. He's doing a couple of Willan preludes, BWV 544, Peeters Aria, His No. 6, a couple of bits of Bairstow and Carillon de Westminster which seems to be his standard finisher and one of my favourites.

The week after also looks promising, with Daniel Hyde doing Guilmant 1 and Durufle Choral on Veni Creator amongst other things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

Not a conventional recital - Saturday 14th August, Haton Baptist Church, Bradford. Words and Music to raise funds for the current crisis in Pakistan.

Among other things, I shall be playing some Cesar Frank on Harmonium in honour of the centenary of his death. Also possibly some Karg-Elart (if I can get it up to scratch in time!). The church's chamber organ will be heard in S.S. Wesley's Choral Song.

The Harmonium will (hopefully) be an early Debain from the Saltaire collection (thanks to Phil Fluke).

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

Not a conventional recital - Saturday 14th August, Haton Baptist Church, Bradford. Words and Music to raise funds for the current crisis in Pakistan.

Among other things, I shall be playing some Cesar Frank on Harmonium in honour of the centenary of his death. Also possibly some Karg-Elart (if I can get it up to scratch in time!). The church's chamber organ will be heard in S.S. Wesley's Choral Song.

The Harmonium will (hopefully) be an early Debain from the Saltaire collection (thanks to Phil Fluke).

Prompted by your example, Tony, I'm organising a similarly unconventional concert in St Michael's Church, Highgate, London N6 at 8pm on Sunday, August 15 also in aid of Pakistan Floods Appeal. I will play a couple of organ pieces but there'll be Poulenc on the flute, Faure on the cello, Sondheim, Mozart and Purcell songs and much more.

Best wishes,

Michael

Francis Jackson is doing a recital in York Minster this Saturday. He has known this organ from the 1930s, and possibly before!

His programme can be found at this interesting link, which I found yesterday: http://organrecitalobserver.blogspot.com/

Regards

We just got back from this enjoyable recital. I can't believe that the 'grand old man' is still performing so well at 92 years old.

There was an impressively large audience. Did anyone else from here go?

Yes I made this, and it was inspiring. Frankly, I wish/dream/hope/pray (not in that order, mind) to be able to climb the stairs up to that or any console, let alone play a big recital, at well over 90 years of age.

I thoroughly enjoyed the music, and to be fair, despite the couple of mis-fired pistons in the final piece (Carillon de Westminster, Vierne), it was the usual inspirational and touching performance from FJ. Year on year, this is a special recital, not least as he must have known the organ since 1929 when he became a chorister at York. Great also to hear the JSW fascinating fact that last night was FJs 55th recital in the annual series.

Did anyone else make it?

Prompted by your example, Tony, I'm organising a similarly unconventional concert in St Michael's Church, Highgate, London N6 at 8pm on Sunday, August 15 also in aid of Pakistan Floods Appeal. I will play a couple of organ pieces but there'll be Poulenc on the flute, Faure on the cello, Sondheim, Mozart and Purcell songs and much more.

We raised over £1000 this evening plus GiftAid. Huge thanks to all the performers and all the generous donors.

We raised over £1000 this evening plus GiftAid. Huge thanks to all the performers and all the generous donors.

Hi

We had a rather disappointing turnout, but still raised over £300 plus some gift aided contributions - not bad for such a small church.

Every Blessing

Tony

Just like to mention, the talented young organ ambassador, Keith Hearnshaw, will be delighting those attend Bridlington Priory series, a week on Sat.

And I have even managed to take a friend, albeit kicking and screaming, and who is prefering the "sticking of needles in her eye", (she is an organ recital virgin :D and although its costing me dinner and a night stay over, and the stick of "Brid rock, I am sure she will enjoy it, watching the large video screen

Peter

Just like to mention, the talented young organ ambassador, Keith Hearnshaw, will be delighting those attend Bridlington Priory series, a week on Sat.

And I have even managed to take a friend, albeit kicking and screaming, and who is prefering the "sticking of needles in her eye", (she is an organ recital virgin :lol: and although its costing me dinner and a night stay over, and the stick of "Brid rock, I am sure she will enjoy it, watching the large video screen

Peter

==========================

Let's get this right. You're taking a lady friend to Bridlington, wining & dining with her, staying in a hotel and she is going to lose her virginity while watching a video.

This is how rumours begin. :D

MM

==========================

Let's get this right. You're taking a lady friend to Bridlington, wining & dining with her, staying in a hotel and she is going to lose her virginity while watching a video.

This is how rumours begin. :blink:

MM

:P an "organ recital virgin", even her twin sons were gobsmacked when said she was going, but thats what "friends" do??, no doubt she will get her own back :rolleyes: make me go shopping in Foster Square, on sunday, now THATS a fate worse than hearing/feeling a 32@ Contra Tuba

:P an "organ recital virgin", even her twin sons were gobsmacked when said she was going, but thats what "friends" do??, no doubt she will get her own back :rolleyes: make me go shopping in Foster Square, on sunday, now THATS a fate worse than hearing/feeling a 32@ Contra Tuba

==================

Ah yes! I know that word, and hear it all the time.

Who is your...erm..."friend?"

As Dame Edna said, "Why can't they call him what he really is? His flatmate!"

:blink:

MM

==================

Ah yes! I know that word, and hear it all the time.

Who is your...erm..."friend?"

As Dame Edna said, "Why can't they call him what he really is? His flatmate!"

:blink:

MM

She is a lady who I have known for a while now, and she is very straight forward and knows what she likes, music wise, and is coming with me, because I asked her too. The only organ music she has heard before, was in a "wedding" situation, and was not very impressed. And Keiths proggrame is very "light". and there is my favourite Bach, BWV542, so will be an entertaining evening, even had my dad invite himself down from Durham, but he can pay for the stop over himself :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend is Heritage Open Weekend, when a number of municipal buildings and works are open to the public.

I have been informed that there is to be a rare opportunity to hear the City Hall organ in Newcastle upon Tyne this weekend, on both Saturday and Sunday.

The City Hall organ was built by Harrison & Harrison in 1928, and has been little altered since then. The Newcastle instrument was one of the last great town hall organs built during the early part of the 20th century, and is of national importance. It also has some very loud Orchestral Trumpets, operating on some 20" of wind pressure!

The organ is not in the best of repair, (there is an ongoing project to restore it), but it still makes a magnificent sound in the right hands.

There is no programme as such, but I believe there will be several organists from local associations who will be playing a selection of pieces - ciphers permitting!

Times are from 12.15 to 1.45 on both days. Admission is free, but pre-booking with the Box Office is advised. (Call 0191-261-2606 or use the online booking form.)

There are also tours of the hall backstage, with free refreshments provided.

See the City Hall Website for more information.

My local paper informs me that a refurbished church organ will burst into life this weekend after months of hard work to raise money for the homeless.

The organ, which is 100 years old sits at the heart of St Marys Church, in Lansdowne Road, Tottenham N17 and will be delivering light hearted music pieces from film and theatre in a concert from three organists this coming Sunday.

The concert commences at 2-30pm and tickets are £5, all proceeds to Haringey Churches Winter night shelter scheme.

On November 10th Simon Williams Director of The Royal College of Organists will perform.

Colin Richell.