Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recitals

Peter Clark

Would it be a good idea for forum members to advertise here recitals they are giving in the near future so that others in their area (or even beyond) could come along to offer support and maybe even raise a glass or two afterwards? Just a thought.....

Peter

============================

HALIFAX PARISH CHURCH, JUNE 23RD AT 12.00..........YOUR TRULY.

PROGRAMME:-

Lied to the Flowers - Flor Peeters (Belgium) (FLOWER FESTIVAL IN PROGRESS)

Preludium in G (BWV568) - Bach (Germany)

A short keyboard work from Poland - Jan of Lublin c.1520 (Poland)

Toccata - Georgi Mushel (Russia/Uzbekistan)

Fugue in A minor - Bohuslav Cernohorsky (Czech Rep)

Suite in A (transc. Harvery Grace) - Franticek Tuma (Czech Rep)

Preludium - Zoltan Kodaly (Hungary)

Sonata on the 94th Psalm - Reubke (Germany)

It's a nice programme with lots of nice tunes; at least until the Reubke!

I shall be pushing the old Harrison pneumatic-action very hard, so lots of crossed fingers and votive candles would be appreciated.

MM

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cynic

HALIFAX PARISH CHURCH, JUNE 23RD AT 12.00..........YOUR TRULY.

PROGRAMME:-

Lied to the Flowers - Flor Peeters (Belgium) (FLOWER FESTIVAL IN PROGRESS)

Preludium in G (BWV568) - Bach (Germany)

A short keyboard work from Poland - Jan of Lublin c.1520 (Poland)

Toccata - Georgi Mushel (Russia/Uzbekistan)

Fugue in A minor - Bohuslav Cernohorsky (Czech Rep)

Suite in A (transc. Harvery Grace) - Franticek Tuma (Czech Rep)

Preludium - Zoltan Kodaly (Hungary)

Sonata on the 94th Psalm - Reubke (Germany)

It's a nice programme with lots of nice tunes; at least until the Reubke!

I shall be pushing the old Harrison pneumatic-action very hard, so lots of crossed fingers and votive candles would be appreciated.

MM

I didn't know Harve[r]y Grace had done a version of the Tuma. Mine is by C.H.Trevor.

Sorry! :)

Friday 13th July - 7.30pm - Romsey Abbey

Video screen with multiple console shots and also cameras inside showing the action!

Programme -

Adagio in E - Frank Bridge

Trio super 'Allein Gott in Hoh sei Ehr' (Clavierubung III) - J S Bach

Choral no 1 in E major - Franck

Variations on 'Greensleves' - David Briggs

Capriol Suite - Peter Warlock

(Possibly) improvisation on theme/style suggested by audience

Fughetta super 'Allein Gott in Hoh sei Ehr' (Clavierubung III) - J S Bach

Drinks and nibbles afterwards included in £6 (£5) entry.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

2 upcoming events:-

Sat 22nd September 6:30 pm at Heaton (bradford) Baptist Church (BD9 5PX). Celebration recital by Andrew Teague (Bradford Cathedral) following the restoration of the c.1820 chamber organ.

Sat.15th & Sun 16th Sept. Victorian Reed Organ Museum, Saltaire - I will be playing demonstration recitals each day - around 12:00 & 2:00 each day.

Hope to see some of you at one or other (or both) events.

Every Blessing

Tony

Guest Patrick Coleman

Saint Michael's Abertillery

3.00 p.m. next Sunday 9th September

Paul Derrett (alias Cynic)

Sinfonia to Cantata no.29 - J.S.Bach arr.Dupre

Variations on 'My young life has an end' - Jan Peterzoon Sweelinck

A Maggot - Thomas Arne

Scherzo from 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' - Felix Mendelssohn

Pomp and Circumstance March no.4 in G - Edward Elgar

Verset on 'The Silver Wheat' - Richard Francis

Suite Gothique - Leon Boellmann

The recital is preceded by a Hog Roast at 1.00 p.m. with live Jazz music.

Some tickets for this are available from me.

The recital is free - but generous donations appreciated toward the organ fund (where all proceeds from the Hog Roast will also go)

Further details (including an up-to-date spec) and directions on the parish website: www.tillerychurches.com

Friday 4th May - 7.30pm - Romsey Abbey

Daniel Trocme Latter

Mendelssohn, Stanford, Franck, Howells, JSB St Anne P&F

Video screen will be up. All will be extremely good if anyone's local.

David

This seemed to die out pretty quickly but in the hopes of getting it going again:

Friday 7th September at 8pm

The Collegiate Church of St. Peter in Ruthin

4th Anniversary Recital given by Huw Williams (St. Paul's Cathedral).

And the church's own video screen WILL be in use!

specification and details of the organ at http://www.willis-organs.com/ruthin_general.html

David Wyld.

This seemed to die out pretty quickly but in the hopes of getting it going again:

Friday 7th September at 8pm

The Collegiate Church of St. Peter in Ruthin

4th Anniversary Recital given by Huw Williams (St. Paul's Cathedral).

And the church's own video screen WILL be in use!

specification and details of the organ at http://www.willis-organs.com/ruthin_general.html

David Wyld.

What's he playing? (And please resist the temptation to answer 'the organ')

Am I right in thinking it's only a fiver to get in too? :blink:

What's he playing? (And please resist the temptation to answer 'the organ')

Am I right in thinking it's only a fiver to get in too? :blink:

A fiver in.

Here are the pieces but can't remember the running order:-

Prelude & Fugue in B Maj - Dupré

Tu Es Petra - Mulet

In Paradisum - Mulet

Moto Ostinato - Eben

Fugue in A flat min - Brahms

Variations on Nun Komm der Heiden Heiland - Anton Heiller

Prelude in G (BWV 568)- Bach

Pièce Héroïque - Franck

Processional - Mathias

DW

There is an inaugauration concert at St Dominic's Priory Hampstead, of the 1859 Bryceson organ, by Martin Stacey on Saturday 15th September at 7-30pm.

The first half will include Liseta Da Silva, a Bach Flute Sonata and Parfita, and the second half will include the ELGAR Sonata on the 1883 Willis.

All welcome- enquiries 0208357 7913 Chiplands@Aol.com.

Colin Richell

Guest Patrick Coleman
Saint Michael's Abertillery

3.00 p.m. next Sunday 9th September

Paul Derrett (alias Cynic)

Sinfonia to Cantata no.29 - J.S.Bach arr.Dupre

Variations on 'My young life has an end' - Jan Peterzoon Sweelinck

A Maggot - Thomas Arne

Scherzo from 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' - Felix Mendelssohn

Pomp and Circumstance March no.4 in G - Edward Elgar

Verset on 'The Silver Wheat' - Richard Francis

Suite Gothique - Leon Boellmann

The recital is preceded by a Hog Roast at 1.00 p.m. with live Jazz music.

Some tickets for this are available from me.

The recital is free - but generous donations appreciated toward the organ fund (where all proceeds from the Hog Roast will also go)

Further details (including an up-to-date spec) and directions on the parish website: www.tillerychurches.com

This was a splendid recital, with Paul's virtuoso playing making the 'old lady' really lift her skirts! The pig and jam beforehand were likewise splendid :)

This was a splendid recital, with Paul's virtuoso playing making the 'old lady' really lift her skirts! The pig and jam beforehand were likewise splendid :unsure:

In case this puts anyone off, or leads to demands for a stewards' enquiry, I should clarify for the benefit of readers that the old lady referred to by Revd.C is the Vowles organ at St.Michael's not an uninhibited/inebriated individual parishioner! Further: 'pig and jam' were not served in the same course, but yes it was a fun afternoon.

Hi,

I went to the lunchtime recital in Bristol Cathedral yesterday (18th September). The recitalist was the new sub-organist, David Bednall.

The program was this:

1. Suite Médévale en forme de Messe Basse (Jean Langlais, 1907 - 1991)

i. Prélude (Entrée)

ii. Tiento (Offertoire)

iii. Improvisation (Elévation)

iv. Méditation (Communion)

v. Acclamations (sur le texte des Acclamations Carolingiennes)

2. Cathédrales (Louis Vierne, 1870 - 1937)

"Pièces de Fantasie IV

3. Te Deum (Naji Hakim, 1955 -)

The first piece was quite a mix. Sadly I missed the first movement (I arrived late as I had trouble parking). Movements 2, 3 and 4 were quiet and included plenty of use of the strings. I have nothing against the use of those strings but he was using another stop as well (I don't know which one) which gave quite an odd sound to the music. On the other hand, the Acclamations were played loudly so as to sound almost apocalyptic with plenty of reeds. The organ sounded in fine form there.

The Vierne was a nice piece. Also quite a bit of volume on this one but not as loud as the Acclamations from the Langlais.

The Te Deum was superb. First time I have heard Hakim's arrangement of this piece anywhere but I sure can't wait to hear it again. Again plenty of reeds and plenty of volume!

Overall score: 4.5 out of 5. Pity about the registration in the 2nd, 3rd & 4th movements of the Langlais else it would have been 5 out of 5. The preformance was very well received by the audience who had gathered.

Dave

Did anyone manage to attend the recital on the 1859 Bryceson organ, by Martin Stacey, last Saturday at St Dominic's Priory , as I was unable to ?

If so, how did it go, and I hope that there was a good attendance ?

Colin Richell.

There was a very good attendance Colin. About 100 plus. It was good to see Jennifer Bate and Richard Hills at the event.

It all went very well. The Bryceson organ was heard by itself, and also accompanied a recorder played expertly by Martin Stacey's talented wife. What with the use of the Fr Willis as well, the concert went on for nearly 2 hours.

The Bryceson is to feature for at least one piece, in further recitals.

As usual the evening finished at the local pub.

Alan

Thanks for that Alan. obviously my publicity skills worked. It is good to hear of an attendance of over 100, when some large venues in London can barely attract 20 people.and do not attract emminent organists in the audience.

I await details of further recitals, and I am now convinced that my donation to an organ which does have a future, was warranted.

Colin Richell.

Hi all,

Please can I take this opportunity to draw attention to the next recital in Bristol Cathedral's lunchtime series? Details as follows:

The Date: Tuesday 25th September 2007

The Time: 1:15pm, lasting about 40-45 minutes

The Organist: Paul Walton (Assistant Organist, Bristol Cathedral)

I've heard him play nuerous times and I think this will certainly be one not to miss.

Dave

• 1 month later...

May I mention a recital with a difference to be held next Saturday evening 27th October 2007 at 7pm in Birmingham?

A Congolese Charity Organ Concert at St Christopher’s Church, Sparkhill

The organist will shortly be taking up a new role as a Public Health Doctor for the Swiss humanitarian relief organisation Medair in the Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly known as Zaire), a country that is just emerging from one of the bloodiest conflicts in African history. During the concert, which includes organ music with Congolese connotations, some former Medair workers with experience of DRC will describe the ongoing relief program there.

The program includes the First Organ Sonata by Guilmant, which was dedicated to and first played in the presence of Belgian Prince Leopold II. It was Leopold who invited Henry Stanley (no relative of John Stanley whose Voluntary in G major is heard tonight) to explore the Congo, leading ultimately to appallingly brutal colonial repression. Cesar Franck, whose final composition, the Third Chorale is also being played, must count as Belgium ’s greatest organ composer.

David Pitches originally studied medicine at Kings College London, where he was an Organ Scholar. In Birmingham he played at Christ Church, Sparkbrook, until the roof was destroyed in the 2005 tornado. He subsequently purchased a 3-manual Johannus digital organ which he has loaned to St Christopher’s whilst he is abroad and which he will demonstrate tonight.

Admission is free; there will be an opportunity to contribute to Medair. The church is situated at the junction of College Road , Woodlands Road and Springfield Road in Sparkhill, Birmingham B13 9NY, map reference http://tinyurl.com/358bcq

On Saturday 28 October, Philip Tordoff will be giving Halifax Parish Church's 1,000th recital at 7.30. Admission will be at 1971 prices (3/-, concessions 2/-). Another attraction is that a specially-brewed Snetzler Ale will be available. I am told it is excellent.

The organ is being tuned and fettled in anticipation of this milestone, so if you want to hear the instrument at its best, this is your chance.

Actually, it is only the 1,000th recital since 1971. There were certainly some recitals before that, including one given by Marcel Dupre in the late 40's, and a mini-recital by Bairstow during the dedication service in 1929.

On Saturday 28 October, Philip Tordoff will be giving Halifax Parish Church's 1,000th recital at 7.30. Admission will be at 1971 prices (3/-, concessions 2/-). Another attraction is that a specially-brewed Snetzler Ale will be available. I am told it is excellent.

The organ is being tuned and fettled in anticipation of this milestone, so if you want to hear the instrument at its best, this is your chance.

Actually, it is only the 1,000th recital since 1971. There were certainly some recitals before that, including one given by Marcel Dupre in the late 40's, and a mini-recital by Bairstow during the dedication service in 1929.

Three shillings and two shillings?

I think they need to review the prices!

;)

MM