Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recitals

Peter Clark

Rather than being encouraged to attend recitals at a venue which a particular organ builder favours (this does not seem ethical to me)

please check www.organrecitals.com which is unbiased and includes all concert venues in the UK where many of the organs would have been restored by any of the major organ builders.

Colin Richell.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than being encouraged to attend recitals at a venue which a particular organ builder favours (this does not seem ethical to me)

please check www.organrecitals.com which is unbiased and includes all concert venues in the UK where many of the organs would have been restored by any of the major organ builders.

Colin Richell.

Thank you for this little piece of Morality instruction (as usual).

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I would like to draw your attention to a couple of recitals coming up at Saffron Walden Parish Church.

Saturday 19th July at 7.30

David Cook (Assistant organist Saffron Walden Parish Church)

Big Screen.

Saturday 6th September at 7.30

Keith Hearnshaw (Concert Organist)

Big Screen.

Lovely church - the largest in Essex.

4 manual instrument HNB/Wells

http://www.stmaryssaffronwalden.org/index.htm

Peter

Apologies if this appears to be biased.........

Colin Richell.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Why is it perfectly ethical to advertise a recital that (a) you are giving, (b a friend of yours is giving, c)a player for whom you have great regard is giving, (d) is taking place at a venue with which you have some association, (e) is being given on an instrument that you rate very highly; but it is not ethical to advertise a recital that (f) is to be given on an instrument which your company maintains?

Please enlighten us all.

Because there are designated sites for all recitals in the Uk who do a fine job, and I would suspect that most contributors or readers of this thread would be aware of. them. The recitals mentioned are included in Stephen Smith's organrecitals.com.

He works very hard for this site, so I do not see the reason for duplication.

So, is the said organ builder going to inundate the Mander site with recitals held in all the venues where they maintain the organ, and if not how fair is that ?

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to how many other organ builders contribute to the Mander site in the same way ?

All the other events included under "recitals" have been submitted by individuals, I believe.

Colin Richell.

Guest Cynic
Because there are designated sites for all recitals in the Uk who do a fine job, and I would suspect that most contributors or readers of this thread would be aware of. them. The recitals mentioned are included in Stephen Smith's organrecitals.com.

So, is the said organ builder going to inundate the Mander site with recitals held in all the venues where they maintain the organ, and if not how fair is that ?

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to how many other organ builders contribute to the Mander site in the same way ?

All the other events included under "recitals" have been submitted by individuals, I believe.

Colin Richell.

This seems like a personal attack, and not the first of its kind in these columns.

Am I mistaken?

Colin Richell.

Nope,

I am an organ builder. I look after the organs in Saffron Walden Parish Church and I am happy to promote the organ recital series. The fact that I am personally involved here.... because I live here and sing in the choir is immaterial.

I am hoping that people will come and support the recital series and enjoy the instrument. This is what we all......... well most want.

Mr Richell. Stop wingeing and bickering about what it plainly an Alexandra Palace issue and move on

Peter De Vile Organ Builder

Saffron Walden

Perhaps I am being naive but, surely, we are all here to support and help each other? Organ recitals are notoriously badly attended (with a few exceptions by famous concert artists) and they need all the publicity they can get. I cannot see why recitals should not be advertised both on the organrecitals.com website and on this Board, especially if by doing so the size of the audience is increased. I look at this site daily but I rarely look at the other one more than (probably) once every two or three weeks. My choice. See Psalm 133 (Anglican numbering) verse 1.

Malcolm Kemp

I have just thought of another recital and evensong that I can highly recommend to all.

The final evensong of the term at St. John's Cambridge is on Sunday 6th July and is preceeded by the half-hour recital given by the Senior Organ Scholar Leon Charles, who leaves to become an assistant at Westminster Abbey.

the recital is at 6.00 and is:

J.S. Bach: Toccata & Fugue in D minor (BWV 565)

Percy Grainger: Handel in the Strand (arr. Stockmeier)

Boëllmann: Suite Gothique

1. Introduction – Choral

2. Menuet Gothique

3. Prière à Notre-Dame

4. Toccata

Evensong is:

Responses and Preces: Radcliffe

Psalm 32

Parry (Great Service)

Parry: Hear my words, ye people

Hymns 388(i), 252

Voluntaries: Elgar Nimrod

Rossini (arr. Lemare)

Overture to “William Tell”

Peter

I cannot see why recitals should not be advertised both on the organrecitals.com website and on this Board..... I look at this site daily but I rarely look at the other one more than (probably) once every two or three weeks.

Malcolm Kemp

Couldn't agree more - I visit daily too, but seldom visit the organrecitals site, so from my perspective, I am more likely to attend a recital having heard about it here than anywhere else.

Furthermore, I too have no problem with Henry Willis advertising recitals on organs that he is proud of either by association or otherwise.

Happy days now on this thread or is it "here we go again"???

I'm sure if Mr Mander disagreed he would lock the thread!!!!!

Best wishes

Richard

I have just thought of another recital and evensong that I can highly recommend to all.

J.S. Bach: Toccata & Fugue in D minor (BWV 565)

Percy Grainger: Handel in the Strand (arr. Stockmeier)

Boëllmann: Suite Gothique

1. Introduction – Choral

2. Menuet Gothique

3. Prière à Notre-Dame

4. Toccata

Evensong is:

Voluntaries: Elgar Nimrod

Rossini (arr. Lemare)

Overture to “William Tell”

Whilst the recital looks worth attending, I'm not sure I want my supplications to the Almighty to be ended with references to the Lone Ranger, and I'm a fan of transcriptions!

This seems like a personal attack, and not the first of its kind in these columns.

Am I mistaken?

No, I think you've hit the nail firmly on the head.

Mr Richell. Stop wingeing and bickering about what it plainly an Alexandra Palace issue and move on

Hear, hear!

See Psalm 133 (Anglican numbering) verse 1.

Chance would be a fine thing....

.....or is it "here we go again"???

Yes, and isn't it boring.

Colin Richell.

Enough.

I cannot decide whether the smell of sour grapes has been absorbed by that of the spilt milk - or vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Perhaps I am being naive but, surely, we are all here to support and help each other? Organ recitals are notoriously badly attended (with a few exceptions by famous concert artists)

I am pleased to report that Cynic had a good 400 people here yesterday.

B

• 3 weeks later...

There will be a celebration concert on Saturday 13th September 2-30pm at Bloomsbury Central Baptist Church, 235 Shaftesbury Avenue, WC2 recognising Philip Luke's 25th anniversary as Church Organist.

There will be a varied programme of choral,instrumental and organ works.

Philip will be performing on the reconstructed organ by B C Shepherd and Sons in collaboration with J H Males.

www.bloomsbury.org.uk.

Colin Richell.

Hi

Just a note of my now annual demonstration recitals on various reed organs in the Victorian Reed Organ Museum, Victoria Hall, Saltaire, W. Yorkshire during the Saltaire Festival.

I'll be playing various reed organs from Mustels downwards, and repertoire will include Cesar Frank and Karg-Elart (all being well) along with some lighter fare.

Sat 20th & Sunday 21st September - museum open 11:00 am - 2:00 pm, recitals shortly after 11:00 and at 1:00, about 45 minutes each time (and more or less that same programme).

Hope that I may see some of you there.

Every Blessing

Tony

Guest Patrick Coleman

Just a note of a forthcoming recital this Tuesday by our very own Cynic on the splendid instrument at Saint Michael's Abertillery.

The programme can be found here.

Specification and history of the organ can be found here and here.

Wine and Cheese available from 7.00 p.m.!!

I've been asked by one or two members about Olivier Latry's programme for his recital at St. Peter's Collegiate Church in Ruthin next Saturday so here it is in case others are interested:

Johann-Sebastian BACH (1685 – 1750): Prélude et fugue en Sol Majeur BWV 541

César FRANCK (1822 – 1890): 2ème Choral, en Si mineur

Jehan ALAIN (1911 – 1940): Deuxième Fantaisie

Olivier MESSIAEN (1908 – 1992): L'apparition du Christ ressuscité à Marie-Madeleine (from: «Livre du Saint-Sacrement»)

Thierry ESCAICH (né en 1965): 2° Evocation

Olivier LATRY (né en 1962) : Improvisation

Other details at:

http://www.organrecitals.com/1/recitals0.php?venue=spccr

DW B)

I've been asked by one or two members about Olivier Latry's programme for his recital at St. Peter's Collegiate Church in Ruthin next Saturday so here it is in case others are interested:

Johann-Sebastian BACH (1685 – 1750): Prélude et fugue en Sol Majeur BWV 541

César FRANCK (1822 – 1890): 2ème Choral, en Si mineur

Jehan ALAIN (1911 – 1940): Deuxième Fantaisie

Olivier MESSIAEN (1908 – 1992): L'apparition du Christ ressuscité à Marie-Madeleine (from: «Livre du Saint-Sacrement»)

Thierry ESCAICH (né en 1965): 2° Evocation

Olivier LATRY (né en 1962) : Improvisation

Other details at:

http://www.organrecitals.com/1/recitals0.php?venue=spccr

DW B)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!

I can't believe I said that (thanks for noticing!!)

It's on FRIDAY!

DW :huh: