Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recitals

Peter Clark

David Briggs, Worcester Cathedral

Saturday 3rd October, 6.30pm

Dedication of Organ 1st Anniversary Recital, £15 on the door

Programme:

JS Bach, trans. Briggs 2009: Orchestra Suite No 3 in D major

(i Overture. ii Air. iii Gavotte. iv Bouree. v Gigue)

Dukas, trans. Briggs 1996: The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Elgar, trans. Briggs 2009: Symphony No 1 in A flat, Opus 55

(i Andante, Nobilmente e semplice. ii Allegro molto. iii Adagio. iv Lento - Allegro.)

See you all there - large-screen projection (with pedal-cam) as usual!

So, who is going tonight? :lol:

Perhaps we should have kept our badges from earlier in the year... :unsure:

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Stephen Grahl is giving a recital on the GDB at New College, Oxford, after Evensong (so at 7 p.m.) this coming Saturday, 24th October, featuring music by De Grigny, Alain and Duruflé.

(Evensong is at 6:15; Responses, Morley; Canticles, Leighton Second Service; Anthem, Leighton God's grandeur.)

Best wishes

J

I am duty bound to mention this as it is local to me:

This Sunday (25th), 2.45pm - John Scott on the Binns Organ in the Albert Hall, Nottingham.

This is their special anniversary recital.

Programme:

Mendelssohn: Overture to St Paul

Handel: Concerto in F Op. 4 No. 5

Bach: P&F in A minor, BWV 543

Franck: Choral No. 1 in E

Bossi: Scherzo

Durufle: P&F sur le nom d'Alain

Wammes: Miroir

Vierne: Finale from No. 6

Admission £8 by programme (£5 concessions)

And I would like to take this opportunity to make know that on Sat 31st, Dr Simon Lindley, is playing at Durham Cathedral. This is an annual event that my father organises, to raise funds for his Masonic "Mark" Charity, and as such a number of "non" musicians are attending, a popular town hall style programe has been arranged.

Peter

organ recitals.com

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Christopher

I will try and visit one day soon and perhaps we can have a friendly chat.

Best wishes

Colin Richell

Having read Christopher Allsop's helpful response, I wonder if the following would also help to reassure you:

Pompey (Portsmouth's football team) charge up to £350 for a half season ticket for an adult....

David Briggs, Worcester Cathedral

Saturday 3rd October, 6.30pm

Dedication of Organ 1st Anniversary Recital, £15 on the door

Programme:

JS Bach, trans. Briggs 2009: Orchestra Suite No 3 in D major

(i Overture. ii Air. iii Gavotte. iv Bouree. v Gigue)

Dukas, trans. Briggs 1996: The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Elgar, trans. Briggs 2009: Symphony No 1 in A flat, Opus 55

(i Andante, Nobilmente e semplice. ii Allegro molto. iii Adagio. iv Lento - Allegro.)

See you all there - large-screen projection (with pedal-cam) as usual!

An interesting program this is.

Funny, the orchestral Hope-Jones gets scrapped for a 'proper' organrepertoire instrument, and now we play this.

Funny, the orchestral Hope-Jones gets scrapped for a 'proper' organrepertoire instrument, and now we play this.

Indeed. Orchestral arrangements are very much back in fashion these days, at least with British and American organists. I don't understand why. Obviously they play them because they like the pieces, but there must be more to it than that. Is it a reflection that the organ has a dearth of great music that appeals to the general public (or a dearth of great music, full stop)? Or is it that arrangements allow the player to show off all sorts of wizardry that the standard organ repertoire doesn't?

Indeed. Orchestral arrangements are very much back in fashion these days, at least with British and American organists. I don't understand why. Obviously they play them because they like the pieces, but there must be more to it than that. Is it a reflection that the organ has a dearth of great music that appeals to the general public (or a dearth of great music, full stop)? Or is it that arrangements allow the player to show off all sorts of wizardry that the standard organ repertoire doesn't?

Why? Can I offer one or two suggestions.

Firstly, we have a number of organs in this country that were conceived with transcriptions in mind. Our big civic halls etc. with their orchestral stops and colours.

Secondly, I think that if you choose your repertoire carefully then yes, they might show off some wizardry (or more likely stops!), that might not get as much of an airing elsewhere.

I'll admit 'guilty' to the charges of playing transcriptions, however, I've never done a whole recital programme of them (despite recording a CD solely of transcriptions), but I will add that I think some people do go too far in their search for new transcriptions where I can't understand what they are adding to the repertoire. I noted similar criticisms in the current OR of selections from 'Carmina Burana' and the Gershwin 'Three Preludes'. I'm with the reviewer here in not understanding why those pieces in particular (apart from number 2 of the Gershwin) were chosen.

For me it has always trying to balance some familiar music in recitals where you know a large number of people know very little of the repertoire with attempts to educate them with what I will refrain from calling 'proper' repertoire, more 'original' repertoire. What we shouldn't be ashamed of is that for many years, transcriptions were an important part of the repertoire and any attempt to banish or erase them from our heritage will not be a welcome one.

Of the Briggs items in the advertised programme, I know that the Dukas works well, but I would be interested to hear from those who can attend how the Bach and Elgar come over. If anyone will convert you to transcriptions, David is one of the few true exponents and evangelists!

Why? Can I offer one or two suggestions.

Firstly, we have a number of organs in this country that were conceived with transcriptions in mind. Our big civic halls etc. with their orchestral stops and colours.

Secondly, I think that if you choose your repertoire carefully then yes, they might show off some wizardry (or more likely stops!), that might not get as much of an airing elsewhere.

I'll admit 'guilty' to the charges of playing transcriptions, however, I've never done a whole recital programme of them (despite recording a CD solely of transcriptions), but I will add that I think some people do go too far in their search for new transcriptions where I can't understand what they are adding to the repertoire. I noted similar criticisms in the current OR of selections from 'Carmina Burana' and the Gershwin 'Three Preludes'. I'm with the reviewer here in not understanding why those pieces in particular (apart from number 2 of the Gershwin) were chosen.

For me it has always trying to balance some familiar music in recitals where you know a large number of people know very little of the repertoire with attempts to educate them with what I will refrain from calling 'proper' repertoire, more 'original' repertoire. What we shouldn't be ashamed of is that for many years, transcriptions were an important part of the repertoire and any attempt to banish or erase them from our heritage will not be a welcome one.

Of the Briggs items in the advertised programme, I know that the Dukas works well, but I would be interested to hear from those who can attend how the Bach and Elgar come over. If anyone will convert you to transcriptions, David is one of the few true exponents and evangelists!

The recital was on 3rd October...

The Bach was stunning, orchestrally conceived, yet clear. As you say the Dukas works well...

The Elgar was simply breathtaking. It's not a work I know well in its orchestral form, so this was listening with fresh ears. In terms of wizardry, the colours, the build ups, the textures, etc... were something that one would have to search very far into the depths of the 'original' organ repertoire to match.

Contrabordun and I also commented that if the stepper piston has an expected life-span, this performance alone has put it well into middle age or beyond.

I was simply transfixed. Playig transcriptions of this magnitude is simply an art in itself.

David said it had taken over 10 hours to register.

Time well spent.

Incidentally, I think I've found where the best point to hear the Worcester organ is now...

P.

I agree with Paul Carr that the playing was stunning and breathtaking. For me the Bach came off better than the Elgar. I know Elagr Symphony 1 quite well and there were occasions when I found it difficult to follow what was going on but it could have been my ears and/or where I was sitting, and in saying that I would not wish to diminish the work involved in transcribing the symphony or the sheer virtuosity of the performer, or indeed the wide range of colour from the instrument. An event that was well worth £15.00 admission.

Royal Albert Hall - Friday 2nd July 2010 - Gillian Weir

See http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/pro...on.aspx?id=7644

An interesting programme certainly - a real mix.

Gosh, it certainly is. Something for everyone there, surely? I'm very tempted to go, even though it would be an epic hike.

Nice to see someone playing the Slonimsky Toccata. Not your usual type of Toccata, but the polytonality is great fun and I wouldn't mind betting it will gain a few fans.

St Paul's Shipley, West Yorkshire.

Saturday 28 November at 2.30 p.m., Organ Concert by Paul Fisher, see http://www.paulfishermusic.co.uk/index.php who will play this programme:-

`Mr Men & Little Misses` - arr. Fisher;

A Ground (from `Little Organ Suite`) - Nigel Allcoat;

Prelude & Fugue in C major BWV547 (`The Great`) - JS Bach;

Clair de Lune (from `Pieces de Fantaisie`) - Louis Vierne;

Fantaisie in A - Cesar Franck;

`Sheila`s Rock Cakes`(World Premiere) - Paul Fisher;

Love Song - Paul Fisher;

Penguins` Playtime - Nigel Ogden;

Toccata - Eugene Gigout.

It's £6 and there will be tea available too. Concert in aid of the church's 1892 3 manual Binns restoration appeal.

Ron

St Paul's Shipley, West Yorkshire.

Saturday 28 November at 2.30 p.m., Organ Concert by Paul Fisher, see http://www.paulfishermusic.co.uk/index.php who will play this programme:-

`Mr Men & Little Misses` - arr. Fisher;

A Ground (from `Little Organ Suite`) - Nigel Allcoat;

Prelude & Fugue in C major BWV547 (`The Great`) - JS Bach;

Clair de Lune (from `Pieces de Fantaisie`) - Louis Vierne;

Fantaisie in A - Cesar Franck;

`Sheila`s Rock Cakes`(World Premiere) - Paul Fisher;

Love Song - Paul Fisher;

Penguins` Playtime - Nigel Ogden;

Toccata - Eugene Gigout.

It's £6 and there will be tea available too. Concert in aid of the church's 1892 3 manual Binns restoration appeal.

Ron

I shall be there hopefully, and WILL bring you "that" recording I promised you a while back

Peter

This may be of interest to some too - unfortunately Lincoln Cathedral's website is overly flashy so instead of posting a link I'll paste the text here directly from their website...

Sunday 22 November 2009 at 5.30 p.m. COLIN WALSH (Lincoln Cathedral). Admission free.

Colin Walsh will play an organ recital on Sunday 22 November 2009 at 5.30 pm. This will mark the launch of a new DVD on Lincoln Cathedral and the organ and it includes many shots of the console and the Cathedral. This is the fourth in the series and is produced by Priory Records. The programme will include a selection of the following items which are on the DVD:

J.S. Bach: Prelude and Fugue in G Major BWV 541

J.S. Bach: Chorale Prelude from the Orgelbüchlein:

In dulci jubilo BWV 608

J.S. Bach: Magnificat BWV 733

William Byrd: Miserere

Johannes Brahms: Choral Prelude

O welt muss ich dich lassen Op 122 No 11

George J. Bennett: Elegiac Prelude

Sir Edward Elgar: Nimrod (No 9 of “Variations on an original theme”

arr. Harris Op 36)

Eric Coates: March: The Dambusters

arr. C.W.

Camille Saint-Saëns: The Swan (from The Carnival of the Animals)

arr. Guilmant

Herbert Howells: Rhapsody No 1 in D flat Op 17

Francis Jackson: Fanfare Op 18

Jean Langlais: I Incantation pour un jour saint

Olivier Messiaen: Apparition de l’Eglise Eternelle

Gaston Litaize: Prélude et Danse Fuguée

Louis Vierne: Carillon de Longpont

(No 21 of 24 pièces en style libre Op 31)

After the concert there will be an opportunity to purchase the new DVD at a reduced price. Admission to the concert is free.

This may be of interest to some too - unfortunately Lincoln Cathedral's website is overly flashy so instead of posting a link I'll paste the text here directly from their website...

Sunday 22 November 2009 at 5.30 p.m. COLIN WALSH (Lincoln Cathedral). Admission free.

Colin Walsh will play an organ recital on Sunday 22 November 2009 at 5.30 pm. This will mark the launch of a new DVD on Lincoln Cathedral and the organ and it includes many shots of the console and the Cathedral. This is the fourth in the series and is produced by Priory Records. The programme will include a selection of the following items which are on the DVD:

J.S. Bach: Prelude and Fugue in G Major BWV 541

J.S. Bach: Chorale Prelude from the Orgelbüchlein:

In dulci jubilo BWV 608

J.S. Bach: Magnificat BWV 733

William Byrd: Miserere

Johannes Brahms: Choral Prelude

O welt muss ich dich lassen Op 122 No 11

George J. Bennett: Elegiac Prelude

Sir Edward Elgar: Nimrod (No 9 of “Variations on an original theme”

arr. Harris Op 36)

Eric Coates: March: The Dambusters

arr. C.W.

Camille Saint-Saëns: The Swan (from The Carnival of the Animals)

arr. Guilmant

Herbert Howells: Rhapsody No 1 in D flat Op 17

Francis Jackson: Fanfare Op 18

Jean Langlais: I Incantation pour un jour saint

Olivier Messiaen: Apparition de l’Eglise Eternelle

Gaston Litaize: Prélude et Danse Fuguée

Louis Vierne: Carillon de Longpont

(No 21 of 24 pièces en style libre Op 31)

After the concert there will be an opportunity to purchase the new DVD at a reduced price. Admission to the concert is free.

Now this I can make time for

I am thinking of heading for Evensong at 3.45 and then sticking around for the recital.

Evensong music is Byrd responses, Blow in F, Handel Worthy is the Lamb and Palestrina Exultate Deo, for anyone who might be interested.

That should make for a splendid Sunday afternoon.

• 2 months later...

Last Sunday afternoon at St Paul's , Simon Johnson played a programme entirely

made up of transcriptions, beginning with the Clarke Trumpet Voluntary - using the West

Trumpets. Through Maurice Greene, Handel, the Barber Adagio, finishing with Maurice Besly's

arrangement of the Stravinsky Berceuse & Finale from The Firebird.

It was a treat to have the Dome Console in use, generally not the case for Sunday recitals.

The programme noted that Simon has just recorded a DVD (for Priory I think) using this console.

Next week (24th January) the Organ Scholar Tim Harper is joined by Michael Broadway

who will be playing the Pianola. I had once thought that the Pianola simply played itself, but having heard Michael

play at the musical Museum in Brentford , I know this is not the case. This is one not to be missed.

Alan

Bradford Organists' Association are organising an 'Organ Extravaganza' featuring Carlo Curley at Bradford Cathedral on Saturday 20th February, 7.30 p.m. Tickets £10 (£8 concessions). This is part of the Association's Centenary Year celebrations. BOA is 100 years old and 100+ members strong (no founder members now, sadly!).

Ron