Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recitals

Peter Clark

For those of you who enjoy toast occasionally:

Friday 29 January, Sheffield Cathedral, 1.15 - 2.00 pm

Ian Ball (Worcester) on the 2006 Phoenix organ

Cochereau/Briggs: Marche des Rois Toccata (from the improvised Suite à la Française sur des themes populaires);

Hakim: Aalaiki’ssalaam (Variations on a Lebanese Theme);

Howells: Quasi lento, tranquillo (from Organ Sonata No 2); and

Duruflé: Prélude et fugue sur le nom d’Alain

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

De Montfort Hall, Leicester

Tuesday 2nd February, 7.30pm - Carlo Curley

Trad. Viennese Folk Melody The Old Refrain (arr Curley)

Franz Joseph Haydn St. Anthony Chorale (arr Curley)

Dietrich Buxtehude Fugue (Gigue) for keyboard in C major BuxWV 174

JS Bach Pastoral in F major (enhanced by an automaton of singing birds) BWV 590 C major movement

JS Bach Chorale Prelude: O Mensch bewein’ dein’ Sünde gross BWV 564 (O Man, Bewail Thy Grievous Sin)

JS Bach Fugue in E minor BWV 548 from Prelude and Fugue in E minor Wedge

Sir Walford Davies Interlude in C (arr Thalben-Ball)

John Philip Sousa The Liberty Bell (arr Curley)

Roy Perry Christos Patterakis

William Boyce Introduction and Trumpet Voluntary No. 1 in D (arr Thalben-Ball)

Joseph Bonnet Elves from Douze Pièces nouvelles pour Grand Orgue, Opus 7

Gaston M Dethier Christmas – Organ Piece for an Opening (freely arranged & transcribed by Carlo Curley)

Tuesday 13th April, 7.30pm - Gordon Stewart

George Frederick Handel Overture The Occasional Oratorio

François Couperin Soeur Monique (arr Guy Weitz)

Johann Sebastian Bach Prelude and Fugue in G major

Arthur Eaglefield-Hull Variations Poétiques

Alfred Hollins Grand Choeur in G Minor

William Thomas Strayhorn Lotus (arr Alex Wyton)

Percy Grainger Handel in the Strand (arr Wolfgang Stockmeier)

Harrison Oxley Clarinet Tune

Noel Rawsthorne Dance Suite

Tuesday 18th May, 7.30pm - Colin Walsh

Mozart Fantasia in F minor K 608

Mendelssohn War March of the Priests (arr Best)

Franck Andantino in G minor

Final in B flat

Bach Sinfonia Cantata 29 (arr Dupré)

Saint Saëns The Swan (arr Guilmant)

Coates March The Dambusters

Elgar Salut d’amour

Cocker Tuba Tune

Vierne Impromptu

Final (Symphony VI)

Unfortunately I can't really say that Carlo Curley's programme appeals to me. Colin Walsh's, on the other hand, looks well worth hearing.

New Organ Recitals - 7.05pm

27th February 2010

Lawrence Thain, the Organ Scholar in New College, will give the third in our new series of termly Saturday recitals, which will follow immediately after Evensong.

http://www.new.ox.ac.uk/The_Chapel_and_Cho...el_Calendar.php

News to me :rolleyes:

J

ps ... Evensong at 6:15 (on the 27th) is

Responses, Byrd

Psalms 126, 127, 128

Purcell in B flat

Finzi, Lo, the full, final sacrifice

Further to previous, I am advised ...

"The voluntary after the service is: Bach, Prelude and Fugue in g then...

Durufle, Prelude

Alain, Clement Janequin Variations

Clerambault, Movements from Suite du premier ton

Pierne, Cantilene

Dupre, Carillon"

Best wishes

J

We did the Southwark Monday lunch one last year. If you've not been before, sit as close to the front as you can, organ sounds best there!

Indeed; I was taught on that organ by Harry Bramma - possibly the least satisfactory place to sit to hear the organ is at the console!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Bradford Organists' Association are organising an 'Organ Extravaganza' featuring Carlo Curley at Bradford Cathedral on Saturday 20th February, 7.30 p.m. Tickets £10 (£8 concessions). This is part of the Association's Centenary Year celebrations. BOA is 100 years old and 100+ members strong (no founder members now, sadly!).

Ron

well,twas a good concert, and love him or hate him, carlo can certainly put "bums" on seats, the place was packed, and hope some interest was given to the BOA. The only. i found a bit much, was the fact there was a 25 min intermission in the middle, ok, so CD and DVD's had to be sold sometime.

Was it me, or has CC mellowed a bit over the intervening years :D

peter

well,twas a good concert, and love him or hate him, carlo can certainly put "bums" on seats, the place was packed, and hope some interest was given to the BOA. The only. i found a bit much, was the fact there was a 25 min intermission in the middle, ok, so CD and DVD's had to be sold sometime.

peter

Absolutely, I love him and he does put bums on seats, and he does not suffer fools gladly.

How many concerts can be described as "packed" these days ?

Colin Richell

Absolutely, I love him and he does put bums on seats, and he does not suffer fools gladly.

How many concerts can be described as "packed" these days ?

Colin Richell

Yes it was quite the highest attendance I've seen there at a recital for some time, and an excellent start to the Bradford Association's centenary year. And then this morning up here in the frozen north we woke up to some 3" of snow to negotiate - the 15 minute journey to Shipley took twice as long...

R

Yes it was quite the highest attendance I've seen there at a recital for some time, and an excellent start to the Bradford Association's centenary year. And then this morning up here in the frozen north we woke up to some 3" of snow to negotiate - the 15 minute journey to Shipley took twice as long...

R

I too was "stuck" in bradford , missed out on a lunch buffet, , but what was worse,,,,, it was paid for 2 weeks ago.

It was my first Bradford recital, and loved the bit where he said it was in sore need of a " 32' pedal reed"

I too was "stuck" in bradford , missed out on a lunch buffet, , but what was worse,,,,, it was paid for 2 weeks ago.

It was my first Bradford recital, and loved the bit where he said it was in sore need of a " 32' pedal reed"

Yes Peter I liked the bit about the 32' reed too - we'd all like one of those! But without knowing the internals of the cathedral organ, they do take up rather a lot of space! Some would say that organ needs a great 16' double first, the only manual double is a 16' quintaton on the choir.

Shame about your lunch though...

R

peter

Hi

The 25 minute interval was needed to give time for people to get a cup of tea - the queue had hardly finished when I gave a "2 minute warning" of the restart. We had planned for 20 minutes (at Carlo's request). The Cathedral Administrator reckoned that over 200 people were there - I would have thought possibly a good few more.

It was interesting to hear Carlo preparing in the afternoon - and pretty quickly getting to grips with a somewhat idiosyncratic organ. In reply to another post, I hear that a digital 32ft pedal reed is in the pipeline.

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

The 25 minute interval was needed to give time for people to get a cup of tea - the queue had hardly finished when I gave a "2 minute warning" of the restart. We had planned for 20 minutes (at Carlo's request). The Cathedral Administrator reckoned that over 200 people were there - I would have thought possibly a good few more.

It was interesting to hear Carlo preparing in the afternoon - and pretty quickly getting to grips with a somewhat idiosyncratic organ. In reply to another post, I hear that a digital 32ft pedal reed is in the pipeline.

Every Blessing

Tony

it was prob just me then, so used to not having a "tea break" in the middle of an organ recital. I did a very rough head count, and got 240, so was a good turn out, especially on a cold night

Stephen Hicks, from Roros Norway (past pupil of Dupre, Marchal, and Boulanger) gives a recital at Bloomsbury Central Baptist Church 4pm Saturday 27th February followed by a buffet tea. Free entry.

Stephen has a stunning technique coupled with mature musicianship, and will include Variations on a Noel and Deux Esquisses by Dupre in his programme. Organ is the recently upgraded instrument featuring Binns pipework.

Stephen will also give a recital at St Alphage Burnt Oak on March 2nd at 7.30pm

Stephen rarely plays in the UK and so please come if you can.

Organ Recital by Christopher Allsop (Assistant Organist, Worcester Cathedral) at Worcester Cathedral, Saturday March 13th, 6.30pm. Admission £10 on the door.

Programme

Darkness and Light - Music for Lent and Easter

1. Wenn wir in höchsten Nöten sein (BWV 641) J. S. Bach 1685-1750

2. Incantation pour un jour Saint J. Langlais 1907-1991

3. An Wasserflüssen Babylon (BWV 653) J. S. Bach

4. Aus tiefer Noth schrei' ich zu dir (BWV 686) J. S. Bach

5. Prelude (Suite, op. 5) M. Duruflé 1902-1986

6. Variations on Mein junges leben hat ein End J. P. Sweelinck 1562-1621

7. Deux Fantaisies J. Alain 1911-1940

8. O Lamm Gottes, unschuldig (BWV 618) J. S. Bach

9. Joie et clarté des Corps Glorieux O. Messiaen 1908-1992

10. Christe, du Lamm Gottes (BWV 619) J. S. Bach

11. Rosace (Esquisses Byzantines) H. Mulet 1878-1967

12. Prelude and Fugue in B major, op. 7 no. 1 M. Dupré 1886-1971

A complete listing of Saturday Evening and Tuesday Lunchtime recitals at the cathedral will shortly be available from the cathedral website at www.worcestercathedral.co.uk

Recitals at St Peter's Petersham

Thomas Trotter - opening recital for new organ - 8pm Sat 24 April 2010

Simon Preston - Handel Organ Concertos and solo items (TBA) - 7.30pm Sat 26 June 2010

Christopher Herrick - 6pm Sat 25 Sept 2010

Full details and booking for these - and other events - at www.petershamfestival.org

JJK

• 4 weeks later...

Monday 5th April (Easter Monday)

Thomas Trotter at Southwell Minster, 3.30pm

Admission Free, Retiring Collection

Hollins - Concert Overture in C minor

Schumann - Three Studies in Canonic Form

JS Bach - P&F in G (BWV 541)

Anderson - Three Pieces

Festing - Largo, Allegretto, Aria & Variations

Thalben-Ball - Variations on a Theme of Paganini

Wagner - Evening Star & Ride of the Valkyries

• 3 weeks later...

Recitals on Tuesdays at 7.30 pm in Lichfield Cathedral:

April 27th by Cathy Lamb (Assistant Organist) "Personal Favourites" including works by Bach, Handel and Liszt.

May 11th, by Martin Baker (Westminster Cathedral) " The Improviser's Art" including Beethoven and Liszt.

June 8th by Philip Scriven (Organist and DoM) "..and all that jazz.." Including Bernstein, Gershwin, a Planyavasky

(Sorry no fuller details)

With CCTV (yes I know how some "love" it but you can close your eyes or look away) and a glass of wine. Tickets £10.

As part of Lichfield Festival on July 13th at 10pm Philip Scriven will play Messiaen's La Nativite du Seigneur. This will complement an exhibition "Icons of the Incarnation" by Sophie Hacker.

Thomas Trotter is caught up in the general travel chaos, so the opening recital at Petersham on Saturday will be given by Jane Parker-Smith

Recitals at St Peter's Petersham

Thomas Trotter - opening recital for new organ - 8pm Sat 24 April 2010

Simon Preston - Handel Organ Concertos and solo items (TBA) - 7.30pm Sat 26 June 2010

Christopher Herrick - 6pm Sat 25 Sept 2010

Full details and booking for these - and other events - at www.petershamfestival.org

JJK

Southwell Minster - Bank Holiday Monday 3rd May

3.30pm - Free Admission, Retiring Collection

Paul Hale (Southwell)

Schumann - Sketches in C and D flat

Boyce - Trumpet Voluntary in D

Rathbone - A Southwell Suite (World-Premiere of Variations on the hymn tune 'Southwell)

S.S. Wesley - Larghetto in F# minor

Willan - Introduction, Passacaglia and Fugue

Full list for the summer series http://www.southwellminster.org/mediapool/...ecital_2010.pdf

Also....

Sunday 9th May is the first in the summer series of Sunday afternoon recitals on the Binns Organ in the Albert Hall, Nottingham. This is an excellent series (on an excellent instrument) of which all but the last recital are free to get into (programme £1, retiring collection).

Full list here http://www.binns.info/events.html

9th May - Jonathan Bunney

2.45pm (Pre-concert talk 2.15pm)

J S Bach - Prelude and Fugue in G BWV 550

Petr Eben - Ist movement from Two Invocations for trombone and organ

Klaas Bolt - Variations on “My God, whence shall I go”

Charles Ives - Variations on “America”

Louis Vierne - Symphonie 6