Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recitals

Peter Clark

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Martin Cooke said:

Don't miss this recital by Anna Lapwood = part of the Ryedale Festival - https://ryedalefestival.com/event/anna-lapwood-organ/

Excellent playing all through but great performance of Bach Trio Sonata No 2 in C minor - super little Nigel Church Organ at Coxwood.

I lived a couple of miles from Coxwold, a few years ago, passed the church every day nearly, but never went in.... as Easingwold was our church at the time

Leeds Town Hall organ returns after lockdown (online only, but we cautiously expect that we can have a socially-distanced audience for the start of the main season in September).

It's next Saturday at 1pm - details here, and this is also where you will be able to listen to the concert:

Best wishes to all

Darius

7 hours ago, DariusB said:

Leeds Town Hall organ returns after lockdown (online only, but we cautiously expect that we can have a socially-distanced audience for the start of the main season in September).

It's next Saturday at 1pm - details here, and this is also where you will be able to listen to the concert:

Best wishes to all

Darius

Thank you.  Bookmarked!  An interesting programme.

Any further news about the proposed rebuild of the LTH organ?  Any definite specification?

For those of us who live at long distances from Leeds, will there be any chance of a YouTube, or similar, recording?  I have a friend in the US who would love this.  Also very good news that live concerts are to return to the Town Hall.  As a guess, would Percy Whitlock be the one composer without a direct link to Yorkshire? - or do we have to wait until Saturday for the answer? On reflection, Johann Strauss seems more likely.  Intriguing!

The concert will be streamed on the Leeds Town Hall website and possibly on YouTube as well, and it will definitely be available after the event as well.  As for the 'one composer without a link to Yorkshire' well - that was a mistake in the publicity department and there are two as you spotted! - unless someone here knows of a Yorkshire connection for Whitlock....(or even Strauss)?

Rebuild plans are continuing (and an initial contract signed) and yes there is a specification.. we hope to be definite and more public by the time of the opening recital of the season proper, in mid-September.

I'd like to thank Darius for an excellent recital yesterday.  I listened to it yesterday evening, on 'catch-up' (I think it's called), but haven't before today been able to write my congratulations on a fantastic display not only of interesting pieces skilfully played, but also the magnificent town hall organ.  It has been several years since I have had the opportunity to attend the lunchtime recitals, but hopefully these may begin again when these 'lock downs' are over.
If anyone here is interested, I believe it is still available on the web site Darius provided above.

• 8 months later...

In spite of the limitations of listening on an iPad, it was a delight in present circumstances to be able to feel as though in the building hearing that wonderful organ.  I think a revelation for me (and it has been said before by others) is how well César Franck sounds on the Schulze - and that was especially so in today’s performance by Graham Barber of ‘Pièce Héroique’.

• 1 month later...

Coventry Cathedral recitals 2021

Coventry Cathedral resumes its live weekly lunchtime recitals from Monday 17th May.  In present circumstances pre-booking is requested.

it looks a stupendous series of fine programmes on (dare I suggest) England’s finest post WW II cathedral organ, introduced here by Rachel Mahon:

https://www.coventrycathedral.org.uk/wpsite/blog/2021/05/01/monday-lunchtime-organ-recitals-from-may-to-october-at-12-30-pm/

Leeds Town Hall resuming concerts tomorrow - now with video streaming, new mics for the audio, and a live audience!  First of the new summer recital series tomorrow at 11am, with Christopher Stokes from Manchester Cathedral playing Mendelssohn, Bach, Widor etc.  These are to raise money for the organ reconstruction which we are planning to announce at an event on 26 June. Recital link:

https://www.leedstownhall.co.uk/whatson-event/summer-organ-series-christopher-stokes/?venue=

• 1 month later...

Organ Recital by Peter Dyke at Hereford Cathedral in memory of Angus Smart

Tuesday 3rd August at 1.15 pm

As announced last year, the recital in memory of Angus had to be postponed due to national lockdown.  Peter Dyke will play a specially chosen programme to include some of Angus’ favourite music on the Father Willis organ which he so much admired.

Admission is free, but advance booking is recommended.  Contact details as below:

office@herefordcathedral.org
Tel:  01432 374200
Events Officer:  01432 374251

Organ recitals have begun again at St Stephen Walbrook in the City of London. Every Friday at 12.30pm.

I believe the organ is being looked after by Gary Owens now, and is sounding better than it has for some time.

Details of recitalists can be found on their Facebook page.

• 1 month later...

Friday lunchtime recital

St Michael and All Angels, Bedford Park W4

12.30 pm, 3rd September 2021

Jack Spencer

L Vierne (1870-1937): from Pieces de Fantasie Suite No 2

3) Hymne au Soleil

5) Claire de Lune

C Franck (1822-1890): Pièce hèroïque from 3 Pieces

R Goss-Custard (1877-1956): Chelsea Fayre

E Coates (1886-1957) arr. JS: Westminster from London Suite

P Grainger (1882-1961) arr. Stockmeier: Handel in the Strand

E Elgar (1857-1934) arr. Lemare: Pomp and Circumstance March No 1 in D

BBC Proms Organ Recital by Peter Holder Saturday 4th September Royal Albert Hall at 11.45 am.

Programme:
Meyerbeer, transcr. W. T. Best:  Le prophète – Coronation March
J S Bach:  Fantasia and Fugue in C minor, BWV 537
Widor:  Symphony No. 5 – Allegro vivace (1st movt)
Saint-Saens:  Fantaisie No. 1 in E flat major
Liszt:  Fantasy and Fugue on ‘Ad nos, ad salutarem undam’ 

Proms aficionados will doubtless know about this already, but the RAH only announced it on organrecitals.com yesterday.  Further details there.

Rather late, we've now announced the full series for Leeds Town Hall for 21-22.  The first seven in the hall, then in the Cathedral while the work and organ rebuild takes place. You can see all the recitalists here; we start on September 13, live and online - 

https://www.leedstownhall.co.uk/concert-season/whats-on/?whatson-event-keyword-search=organ

Tim Byram-Wigfield is coming to St John the Evangelist, Whitchurch (Buckinghamshire) on Friday, 1 October starting at 7.45pm.  Tickets £10 on the door or from Parrott's farm shop in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

The next in our First Friday lunchtime recitals at Bedford Park today at 12.30

Callum Anderson

Dieterich Buxtehude (1637-1707)- Praeludium in G minor (BuxWV 148) 

Jan Pieterszoon Sweelink- ‘Sol es sein’

Johann C.F. Fischer (1656-1746)- Chaconne in F Major (Musikalischer Parnassus) 

Georg Muffat (1653-1703)-Toccata duodecima et ultima (Appartus Musico-Organisticus) 

William Walond (1719-1768)- Volunatry V in G Major 

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)- Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor (BWV 582) 

From the York & District Organists' Association:

SATURDAY 02 OCTOBER (19:30)
“Francis Jackson at 104”
Birthday Celebration Concert
The York & District Organists’ Association is going to broadcast a concert on YouTube in honour of Dr Francis Jackson CBE (Master of the Music at York Minster, 1946-1982) at 19:30 on Saturday 02 October 2021. Just click on this direct link to watch the concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka89o7lEwFg
Programme:
The Goss-Radley Fanfare Performed by Benjamin Morris at York Minster
Praeludium in E Performed by Ben Horden at the Sir Jack Lyons Concert Hall, University of York
Scherzetto Pastorale Performed by Keith Wright at St Olave’s Church, York
Pavane from Seven Pieces Performed by Benjamin Morris at York Minster
Exultet Performed by Christopher Strange at Peterborough Cathedral
Cavatina for bassoon and organ Performed by Isabel Dowell and Geoffrey Coffin at St Chad’s Church, York
Improvisation on a chant of John Goss Performed by John Scott Whiteley at the Coffee House, Everingham
Scherzetto from Fifth Sonata Performed by Tim Harper at Ripon Cathedral
The Owl Performed by James Sanderson and Josephine Peach at St Chad’s Church, York
Prelude on an American Folk Hymn: Lonesome Valley Performed by Maximillian Elliott at St Olave’s Church, York
Magnificat in G Performed by the choir of York Minster directed by Robert Sharpe Organ: Benjamin Morris