Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recitals

Peter Clark

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A series of 6 free lunchtime (12.45) concerts in Holy Trinity Church, Stratford-upon-Avon starts next Thursday, 5 June. A light lunch of sandwiches and coffee can be bought after the concert.

The organists are Peter Summers, Darren Oliver, Stephen Dodsworth, Alex Berry (shortly to become organ scholar at Guildford Cathedral), Andrew Jones (current DoM) and Stephen Davies.

If anyone's in the area I should imagine it will be well worth a visit. I'll be there if nothing else crops up...

This is the instrument...

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=D05055

P

Carlo Curley gave a very good account of himself on BBC radio 3, on Tuesday, and gave good publicity to his concert on the 30th MAY at Ally Pally theatre.

The interviewer asked him about his Birmingham Town hall concert, and he mentioned that Manders had worked on the organ, and that they had done a good job.

Did anyone make the concert ?

Colin Richell

Anyone in the Cheltenham area tomorrow might like to know that Ian Ball is performing a recital of music at All Saints' Church at 7.30pm. Music includes pieces by Franck, Elgar, Lind, Messiaen... The organ is an 1887 Hill subsequently enlarged by the Hill firm and Nicholsons now IV/53. The church is a glorious confection of the High Victorian, rather like walking into a jewelry box! so lots to entertain your eye as the music washes around you.

F-W

Guest Cynic
Malcolm Riley of the Whitlock Trust, is giving a recital at Bridlington Priory on sat. 31/05 to include the Plymouth Suite. I believe its at 7.00pm

Peter

Sorry to argue, Peter:

both www.organrecitals and Bridlington Priory's own website give kick-off as 6pm, so interested folks might be best to arrive at the earlier time to avoid disappointment!

A substantial party from The Organ Club were enjoying the organ in Bridlington Priory earlier today and it's just fabulous!!!

Sorry to argue, Peter:

both www.organrecitals and Bridlington Priory's own website give kick-off as 6pm, so interested folks might be best to arrive at the earlier time to avoid disappointment!

A substantial party from The Organ Club were enjoying the organ in Bridlington Priory earlier today and it's just fabulous!!!

oooop's

you are right Paul. Thats why David said to be ready early

Peter

Paul was, as usual, being modest in saying the Organ Club enjoyed the organ at Bridlington yesterday. Maybe so, but HE gave the demonstrating recital and it was fabulous. It is a magnificent instrument and well worth hearing if you've not been recently.

David Briggs is re-opening St Mary's Clitheroe this Thursday, 5th June after yet another rebuild. The recital is preceded by a talk by Roger Fisher (consultant) and Geoffrey Coffin (Principal Pipe Organs) at 7.00. No idea what David's playing, but it's sure to include at least 1 improvisation.

DT

Further to my previous message regarding Carlo Curley's organ spectacular at Alexandra Palace Theatre on Friday 30th May, I have arranged for Carlo to be interviewed on BBC Radio 3's "In Tune" on Tuesday 27th May at 5-15pm should anyone be interested. Additionally I have arranged for an interview on BBC Radio Essex on 23rd May at 3-35pm.

Colin Richell.

And how "Spectacular" was it then? Especially after all the honking and hooting that went on about it - nothing since?

I wonder if the days of more than 80 people turning up to ANY organ recital are dead? I do hope not, but if an event in London can only raise these numbers (especially after Radio puffing), even if it was only on a toaster, what hope to the rest of the Isles?

On a rather more positive note - Colin Walsh's recital at Christ Church Port Sunlight attracted over 350 I think, so maybe all isn't lost!

DW

David Briggs is re-opening St Mary's Clitheroe this Thursday, 5th June after yet another rebuild. The recital is preceded by a talk by Roger Fisher (consultant) and Geoffrey Coffin (Principal Pipe Organs) at 7.00. No idea what David's playing, but it's sure to include at least 1 improvisation.

DT

I'd be interested to hear how the 'Rebuilt' organ sounds - presumably as dire as the last incarnation and the one before that: it's nothing to do with the instrument, the building is DIRE!

Did you go David?

DW

The lunchtime recitals at Birmingham regularly see audiences of 300-400 - that number doesn't look many in Symphony Hall, but the Town Hall is often wedged. It's a tribute both to Thomas Trotter's superb playing and the magnificent instruments.

Today's lunchtime recital by Peter Summers at Holy Trinity, Stratford-upon-Avon was excellent, with an estimated audience of 70-80. Not bad for a small town recital with little publicity.

The lunchtime recitals at Birmingham regularly see audiences of 300-400 - that number doesn't look many in Symphony Hall, but the Town Hall is often wedged. It's a tribute both to Thomas Trotter's superb playing and the magnificent instruments.

Yes. I happened to be in Birmingham on Monday and was pleasantly surprised to find there was to be an organ concert that day. I agree that there would have been about 300+ in the Symphony Hall for the excellent recital by Henry Fairs, Birmingham University organist.

By the way, this is the first time I have heard the Symphony Hall organ and I was very impressed. It has to be said that this instrument leaves that in the Bridgewater Hall (Manchester) standing. The latter, in my opinion, is noticeably underpowered. Perhaps, should funds become available, it could be revoiced more strongly.

John

Yes John, Monday's recital was first rate, wasn't it? I hadn't previously heard Henry Fairs play live and was most impressed. Did you notice how scared the young chap turning the pages looked?!

If there was a single thing I could change about the Symphony Hall organ, it would be to make the 32' reed a bit "bigger" - it never seems to quite match the power of the tutti, especially when the chamades are drawn. All the same, I wish the lunchtime concerts were more evenly balanced between the Symphony Hall and Town Hall - it would give a few more opportunities to hear those sublime stops in the 2 echo divisions. I can feel the hairs on the back of neck standing up even thinking about the French Horn with the box closed, played against a very quiet string.....

I shouldn't complain - nowhere else in the country has a weekly recital for much of the year with such players and instruments, and all for a fiver.

While I'm on, Peter Summers played a short piece by Jose Lidon yesterday, "Sonata de Primo Tono". I once heard this played on the Trompeta Real at St John's, Cambridge and felt sure it was also on a vinyl disc recorded there. Can anyone remember which disc it was, please? I thought I had it, but can't find it and fear it may once have been lent out...

I'd be interested to hear how the 'Rebuilt' organ sounds - presumably as dire as the last incarnation and the one before that: it's nothing to do with the instrument, the building is DIRE!

Did you go David?

DW

I was brought up on recitals here from about 1967 during my teens, the last time I heard it was playing myself during my student days - a long time ago so memories are a bit hazy. Then, it was as Nicholsons left it, not Sixsmiths.

The acoustics are really dire, probably worse that I remember as it's carpeted now, the church was also pretty full last night which was nice to see. I felt sorry for Geoffrey and Roger considering what they were up against.

The wind pressures have been raised back to the Binns' originals, all previously solid pannelled parts of the case have been replaced with rather nice open fretwork panels, much organ material at lower levels has gone and the space above the Swell box utilised better. So, more sound gets out and I thought it sounded less brittle and more integrated than I remembered.

However, IMO David's 'House Style' of registration did not suit a small church with dry acoustics - too much use of manual doubles/sub-octave couplers/acoustic 32s/thick and loud combinations. I've heard him do this to good effect at Blackburn and Liverpool but would have prefered less dense texture in this acoustic. Also, we didn't hear all the quite solo-type registers by anymeans.

It looks like a proper job and I'm sure the church has got good VFM.

Go and hear it for yourself.

DT

I just want to say that those who live in or near Leeds, missed what I thought was the best played Dupre recital I have heard for quite a number of years. It was a young lady by the name of ELLI GLAROU who has been one of the organists at St. Bartholomews, Armley. She was born and raised in Greece, and has been doing her MMus, and was awarded a scholarship to further her studies and do her PhD in organ performance practice. As it was a sunday afternoon (4.00pm start)

I am sure most people were relaxing before another service.

Only a handful of people were there to hear amongst other things, the choral & fugue Op 57, miserere Mei, berceuse,

cortege et litanie and the final. She goes back to Corfu later this month, which is good for them, but it means we will loose a very talented female organist.

well thats my bit of promotion over with :)

Peter

Must mention tonights excelent recital at Holy Trinity, Hull, it was given by Matthew Martin, Ass at Westminster Cathedral, It was brilliant, and how he made the old girl sing, thats the organ, not Cynics wife, who I think was page turner for the evening. Mrs Cynic has done a marvelous job with the recitals at HT, and they are very well recieved by those who go. It was also nice to meet a fellow board member there who remembers the organ in it hay day, not long after it was built

Peter

There are four recitals in St Phillips Cathedral, Birmingham over the next month, all on Mondays at 1pm at the very modest cost of £4.00 or £2.50.

23 June "From Earth to Heaven": Choral Recital by Schola Philippi (Director Marcus Huxley, organ Stuart Nicholson). Tallis, Taverner, Rachmaninov and Stanford.

30 June Organ Recital by Henry Fairs: Duruflé, Bach, Howells & Reger

7 July Music for Guitar & Organ: Victoria Green (Guitar) with Stuart Nicholson (Organ). No details of music available

14 July Recital of French Music for Bastille Day :):P . Organ played by Marcus Huxley.

Thomas Trotter is also playing 2 recitals in Lichfield Cathedral in July and one in Walsall Town Hall. NPOR lists the organ

there and it looks a right beast on paper - well worth a trip methinks. There's also a recital at Walsall by the Borough Organist, Peter Morris, next Wednesday at 1pm - tickets £2.00 available up to 30 minutes before it starts.

I must mention the last Birmingham Town Recital of the season which took place yesterday to a crowd of almost 500. This was the annual request spot which featured Handel, (movements i), iv) & vi) from Concerto No 16), J.C. Kerll (Capriccio Sopra Il Cucu), JSB (Adagio & Fugue in C, from BWV 564), Boellmann (Priere a Notre Dame & Toccata from Suite Gothique), Thalben-Ball (Elegy), Messiaen (Dieu Parmi Nous), and Elgar (Chanson de Matin & Pomp & Circumstance No 4). I was reduced to more of a gibbering wreck than usual more than once. The encore, after a short speech, including well-deserved thanks to Rachael, the organ scholar who turns pages at the recitals, was Morandi's Bell Rondo using, of course, the fine bell chorus on the organ. Terrific! I have never known such an atmosphere at a recital as was evident yesterday - TT certainly, and well-deservedly, draws in the crowds week after week after week.

One for the diaries - Nigel Ogden is playing in the BTH on Friday 31 October 2008 at 19.30 - improvising to a screening of that fabulous 1922 film Nosferatu. That's not to be missed...

Finally, the 3rd of the 6 recitals from Holy Trinity, Stratford-upon-Avon is on Thursday at 1pm this week, played by Stephen Dodsworth.

Peter

Must mention tonights excelent recital at Holy Trinity, Hull, it was given by Matthew Martin, Ass at Westminster Cathedral, It was brilliant, and how he made the old girl sing, thats the organ, not Cynics wife, who I think was page turner for the evening. Mrs Cynic has done a marvelous job with the recitals at HT, and they are very well recieved by those who go. It was also nice to meet a fellow board member there who remembers the organ in it hay day, not long after it was built

Peter

I wholeheartedly endorse Peter Allison’s comments about Matthew Martin’s excellent recital at Holy Trinity, Hull, last Saturday. I thought all his registrations were first-class and he played with all the distinct clarity and flair that are certainly a hallmarks of one of his former teachers.

Hull, (IMHO) is such a Sodom and Gomorah when it comes to culture that it was hardly surprising there was such a small audience. But those of us who experienced Matthew’s recital went away more than satisfied and further sustained by the free refreshments.

If there is anyone out there reading this posting and who lives within striking distance of Hull, I can tell you that, given it’s sometimes audible snake pit, the organ at Holy Trinity is one of the nation’s gems. It needs all the support it can muster to enable its eventual and undeniable costly restoration.

Here is a list of recitals that are taking place from now until mid October:

Wednesday 18 June – Fay Adamson, St Mary’s, Mold

Saturday 12 July – Scott Farrell, Newcastle Cathedral (Newly appointed to Rochester Cathedral)

Wednesday 16 July – Simon Walker, St Mary’s, Edinburgh

Saturday 9 August – Richard Moore, Southwell Minster

Wednesday 20 August – Alex Berry, Holy Trinity, Stratford on Avon

Saturday 13 September – Mark Keith, Holy Trinity, Hull

Wednesday 17 September – Julian Savory, St Mary’s, Cottingham

Saturday 11 October – Thomas Leech, Ripon Cathedral

Wednesday 15 October – Simon Earl, Newcastle Cathedral

Wednesday recitals commence at 1.00pm and Saturday recitals commence at 7.30pm.

Another one from me:

did a 120 mile round trip to hear the Whitlock C minor Sonata (if I could play it, I would have had an early night, but I can't, so did't :rolleyes: ) played by Philip Rushforth at Southwell Minster, along with a piece by Parry, Bach, Messiaen and Lindberg. All pieces played with masterly, and with conviction. The Whitlock is one of my favourite pieces, especialy the final movement. Altogether a wonderful recital ,,,,and a pint in the Saracens after :)

regards

Peter

That must be the co-operation of the century (but which century?)!

Sorry, I'm getting my coat already... :rolleyes:

I will let you off Vox, actually I cannot stand Messian, do'n know why, well yes I do,

but the

Bach partita "ach, was soll ich sunder machen bwv770

and the

Lindberg Sonata in G minor

were quite good and suited the organ. And As Philip said, " he was always on the lookout for new and "different" repertoire

but a piece of Swedish, French and German played on an English Organ, came over very well to the good sized audience, who appreciated it

regards

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

A note about two recitals I have attended this week.

First was the final weekly event at Walsall Town Hall on Wednesday lunchtime, given by the Borough Organist, Peter Morris with assistance from his very young daughter as an excellent page turner for the Pierné and Mulet. I had never seen the venue before; a bit unprepossessing from the outside but a revelation when inside. It's a large barrel-vaulted hall with typically early 1900s decoration, the organ being placed at the "east end" above the stage. A very large screen TV was placed to one side at the front with one camera trained on the keyboards and a web-cam on the pedals, fading between the two being accomplished by an assistant.

The instrument is a 1980 Nicholson & Lord, rebuilt in 1937 by Compton with today's version being a further 1988 rebuild by Mander. Helpfully, the specification was reproduced on the back on the programme (linked in my earlier post about the concert). I found it a very pleasant organ to listen to which coped well with the music on offer - Bach, Mathias, Elgar (arranged by Peter Morris), Pierné, Dvorak (arranged Noel Rawsthorne) and Mulet. There were a couple of tuning issues with the one of the great reeds but for the French pieces it added some authenticity! There is a splendid tuba on the Solo, very round and smooth but loud enough to fulfil its purpose and the 32' Contra Trombone is a delight, blending perfectly with full organ. I was slightly disappointed not to have heard the Tibia chorus 16', 8', 4', 2 2/3' and 2' (with its dedicated tremulant!) but the music played didn't really demand its use. I can heartily recommend a visit to hear the organ in its much livelier than expected acoustic. Thomas Trotter is playing at the 100th anniversary of the instrument on 1 October and the weekly series starts again in the Autumn.

The second recital was yesterday lunchtime at Holy Trinity, Stratford-upon-Avon given by Alex Berry from King Edward VI school in the town. He is shortly to take up residence as Organ Scholar at Guildford Cathedral. Alex played a very eclectic programme; Bach, Bohuslav Martinu, Langlais, Caleb Simper and Robert Jones and played it extremely well - he is a name to look out for in the future. In his chat about the final two pieces he was a bit disparaging about the March in F by Caleb Simper ("Enjoy it if you can...") whom he described as a dreadful organist from Devonshire who composed about 5 million pieces! I actually liked the March in F; a thoroughly predictable foot-tapper but with shades of Léfébure-Wely and played superbly to bring out the humour of the piece (which probably wasn't intended by the composer to be there). The final offering was Ménagerie Musicale by Robert Jones - huge fun and with an unpredictable ending.

It was good to meet (or actually re-meet as we worked for the same local company albeit in very different disciplines) fellow forum member Martin Stanley at the recital. Again, I can thoroughly recommend the remaining 2 concerts in the series - Thursdays 12.45.

Peter

Some shameless plugging:

Tuesday 1st July at Bristol Cathedral, 1:15 pm

Organ recital by myself

Langlais Suite Brève / Messiæn Prèlude / Vierne Reverie / Mulet Tu es petra

Saturday 5th July at Bristol Cathedral, 7:30 pm

The Black Dyke Band

Music to include Elgar Severn Suite (which Atkins arranged as Organ Sonata No.2) and the last movement of the Saint-Saëns Organ Symphony (arr. Philip Wilby) with Mark Lee at the organ.

Paul Walton

I wonder if I might draw attention to the following, for information and in case anyone should be near to either venue:

Wednesday 2nd July 2008 at 8:00pm at The Collegiate Church of S. Peter in Ruthin, Denbighshire.

Roger Fisher

Console viewable on Large Screen

Wednesday 9th July 2008 at 8:00pm at The Collegiate Church of S. Peter in Ruthin, Denbighshire.

Timothy Linsley (Organ Scholar, Chester Cathedral and Award Winner, Oundle for Organists)

Saturday 12th July 2008 at 7:30pm at Christ Church U.R.C., Port Sunlight.

David Houlder (Leeds Parish Church)

Wednesday 16th July 2008 at 8:00pm The Collegiate Church of S. Peter in Ruthin, Denbighshire.

David Houlder (Leeds Parish Church)

Wednesday 23rd July 2008 at 8:00pm at The Collegiate Church of S. Peter in Ruthin, Denbighshire.

Paul Carr (St. Paul's, Birmingham)

Friday 5th September 2008 at 8:00pm at The Collegiate Church of S. Peter in Ruthin, Denbighshire.

Olivier Latry (Notre-Dame, Paris)

to celebrate the 5th Anniversary of the opening of this organ

Saturday 27th September 2008 at 7:30pm at Christ Church U.R.C., Port Sunlight.

Dr. Francis Jackson, C.B.E. (Organist Emeritus, York Minster)

as part of the Founder's Day Celebrations

As the weather is destined to be excellent tomorrow, a drive to Ruthin through the North Wales countryside seems a nice idea to me. :rolleyes:

More details at

http://www.willis-organs.com/concert.htm

and at www.organrecitals.com