Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recitals

Peter Clark

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is one of the fairly rare chances to hear the Colston Hall organ on Tuesday 23 September. The details are here:

http://www.colstonhall.org/boxoffice/whatson/Event790

Do get to this if you can - my local OA are involved and they do masses of work to keep this organ high profile. These concerts are usually good!

AJJ

If anyone's in the Gloucestershire area on Saturday 27th September, it would be good to see you.

Coffee & Cake Concert on the superb 3-manual Hill organ of Dursley Parish Church, 10.30 - 11.30 am

Ian Ball (Worcester)

PROGRAMME

Bach: Prelude & Fugue in D major BWV 532

Elgar: Andante espressivo (from Sonata No 1 in G)

Mozart: Fantasia in F minor K608

Briggs: Trio Sonata

Hakim (transcribed Ball): Mihtar Youssef

Walton: Orb & Sceptre

Church website: http://www.dursleyparishchurch.org.uk/

Organ info: http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...51#PhotoSection

• 2 weeks later...

FJ's next recital is at Port Sunlight this Saturday (27th) - only 5 days before his 91st Birthday!

Programme is as follows:

Fantasia & Fugue in g minor (BWV542) - JSB

Sonata in E Flat - Sir Edward Bairstow

Marche Nuptiale (op. 25) - Guilmant

Toccata, Chorale & Fugue (op.16) - F.J.

Praeludium (Leipzig 1985) - F.J.

Carillon de Westminster - Vierne.

7.30pm - Admission £5

More details on www.organrecitals.com

DW

Just a reminder that the Dedication Weekend for the new Worcester Cathedral organ takes place next weekend - October 4th and 5th.

Choral Evensong at 5.30 includes all sorts of demonstration of the organ in all its variety and the 8pm recital by Thomas Trotter should be an absolute wow! Tickets for the recital can be ordered from the Worcester Live Box Office on 01905 611427 and cost £15.

On the Sunday, the Sung Eucharist at 10.30 features a new double organ mass by Adrian Lucas and the 4pm Evensong will include the installation of the new Archdeacon of Worcester.

Come and join us.

Incidentally, the first CD of the organ will be available at the recital. I've recorded the Reubke Sonata and the whole of Vierne I to show off all the colours of the instrument. Availability through Worcester Cathedral Shop only, though I may make some available through e-bay if you're interested.

With best wishes,

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Just to mention a recital in Durham Cathedral that my very good friend, David J Rogers (of Doncaster and past provincial grand organist of yorkshire) is giving. Its on the Sat 18th October at 19.00. His programme is yet to be finalized as yet, (in other words I cannot remember what he is playing B) ).

My father has organized it, to raise money for the Mark Masonic Charity, last years raised £500. It will be a good night, so if any of you are free, you will be made most welcome.

Peter

Further to my item above, I have been given the programme:

Rogers. improvisation

Haydn. March in D

Miller. Voluntary in A

P & F in D minor. Buxtehude

Fugue in C minor. Bach

Allegretto in E. Wolstenholme

2 pieces. Whitlock

Paen. Howells

and a piece to be announced

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

Inaugural Organ Recital of the main Aubertin organ in the Chapel of St John's College, St Giles, Oxford

The inaugural recital for the new Aubertin organ will be at 5.00 p.m. on Saturday 25 October. John Scott will play a programme of Guilain, Pachelbel, Handel, Bach, Calviere, Mendelssohn, Wammes, Bovet and Dupré.

John Scott, formerly organist of St. Paul's Cathedral, London, is currently Organist and Director of Music of St. Thomas Church, Fifth Avenue, New York. His distinguished career as a concert organist spans five continents.

Admission will be by programme, available from Tuesday 14 October from the Porters' Lodge.

Best wishes,

Nigel

There is a sort of organ open day at Walsall Town on Saturday from 10.30 to 13.00. There is a recital with, apparently, the opportunity to have a close look at the instrument, a lovely 4 manual Nicholson and Lord, then HNB, then Compton, rebuilt in 1988 by Hawkins & Mander...

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=D00428

The Borough Council isn't good at publicity so it won't be well attended, which is a great pity given the quality of the organ. I'm told that a video screen will be in use giving views of the internal pipework. The hall itself is well worth a visit; the outside is pretty unprepossessing but the interior is a revelation. I shall go along all being well and I hope one or two others fairly local will too.

There is a Messiaen series at Bristol University Great Hall on the next three Thursdays from 1 - 2:

October 16: Paul Walton (extracts from Livre du Saint Sacrement, Messe, and Combat de la mort)

October 23: David Bednall (La Nativite)

October 30: Jennifer Bate (L'Ascension, extracts from Livre d'Orgue, Corps Glorieux and Meditations)

Admission free (I think!)

Paul Walton

Sorry to lower the tone with the 'F' word, but now that October half term is almost upon us, we must surely all be admiring Festive lights being strung aloft from Shire to Shire... Perhaps this might ease the pain:

Sunday 14 December, 5.00 pm, La Nativité du Seigneur by Olivier Messiaen, performed by Ian Ball with Ruth Piolle (narrator) at St James the Great, Dursley, Gloucestershire.

For those of you with degrees in work avoidance:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=535...9641&ref=mf

I have promised to help draw attention to a major recital this coming Wednesday (22nd) at St.George's Doncaster (a.k.a. Doncaster Minster) where Professor Ian Tracey will be giving a recital at 7.30pm on the magnificent five-manual Schulze which I was playing earlier today. The church heating is on and the state of organ tuning is as good as I've ever heard it.

I gather that the programme will have Paris connections.

• 2 months later...

Paul Hale is giving a lunchtime recital in Walsall Town Hall on Wednesday 21 January at 13.00.

This is a lovely hall (inside at least) with a nice 4 manual instrument last rebuilt by our hosts. If past performance is a guide to the future there will be about 16 in the audience so if if any local members can make it, I'm sure that their presence would be appreciated.

http://npor.rcm.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?...ec_index=D00428

• 3 weeks later...

Not forgetting the organ world way downunder, Martin Setchell will be playing in Brisbane City Hall on Wednesday, Feb 4th at 12.30pm (Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" is included) ; he will also play at Hobart Town Hall on Sunday 8th at 4.30pm; and on Thursday Feb 12th at 1pm at Collins St Baptist church, Melbourne. I'll be tottering behind carrying bags, cameras, iced water and listening out for anecdotes :lol:

Churchmouse