Mander Organ Builders Forum

Nicholson's & Canterbury?

TaylorM

I have two current requests for information. The first is this:

Has Canterbury yet commissioned an organ builder for their new instument/rebuild job? If so who has got the contract.

Secondly Nicholson's recently has gained a very substantial (cathedral) commission, does anyone know where/what this is?

Might these two questions be in any way related?

FF

Has Canterbury yet commissioned an organ builder for their new instument/rebuild job? If so who has got the contract.

Secondly Nicholson's recently has gained a very substantial (cathedral) commission, does anyone know where/what this is?

FF

I believe Nicholson's are in the frame for the Worcester Nave organ once funds are available

Nicholson's were successful in getting the contract to build the new organ for Llandaff Cathedral - not a day too soon. I was chatting to one of the cathedral organists on Saturday, and they are delighted that an 'act of God' managed to finally put the old one out to pasture. There is a widely held belief in the cathedral music department that God is indeed most merciful!

Nicholson's were successful in getting the contract to build the new organ for Llandaff Cathedral - not a day too soon. I was chatting to one of the cathedral organists on Saturday, and they are delighted that an 'act of God' managed to finally put the old one out to pasture. There is a widely held belief in the cathedral music department that God is indeed most merciful!

Is anything about as to what they are going to do? - I have a vague recollection about something on here but can't remember where it cropped up.

AJJ

Is anything about as to what they are going to do? - I have a vague recollection about something on here but can't remember where it cropped up.

AJJ

It's all a bit sketchy really, but from what I gather from those "in the know" Richard Moorhouse wants a traditional English cathedral scheme, primarily specified for liturgical accompaniment rather than solo work. Quite how that will eventually manifest itself I don't know at the moment.

The cathedral are currently using a three manual Rodgers on loan from BBC Wales where it is normally (very occasionally) used by the National Orchestra of Wales.

FF

Dear Finziforever,

Welcome to the Forum but seeing since I joined I have been using my initials FF to sign my contributions would you care to thing of another `logo' - you might get blamed for some of my nonsense.

Best wishes,

Frank Fowler

Guest Lee Blick

26th October - Long-term plans for Canterbury Cathedral organs announced

Canterbury Cathedral has announced long-term plans to spend four million pounds on organ projects, as part of a £50m development plan. That money would provide both a new four manual Nave organ and a comprehensive rebuilding and enlargement of the existing Quire organ, both playable from a central console on the quire screen although the pipe organ part is slightly misleading. The figure of £4 million is also slightly misleading, as it allows for inflation (much of the work is unlikely to start this decade), two essentially new large pipe organs (albeit one including much pipework from the existing instrument), an additional East chorus of pipes, a central console, and all associated building and electrical work

From The Organ magazine, October 2006

Many apologies FF for "nicking" your nickname, albeit unknowingly.

Finz

Dear Finziforever,

Welcome to the Forum but seeing since I joined I have been using my initials FF to sign my contributions would you care to thing of another `logo' - you might get blamed for some of my nonsense.

Best wishes,

Frank Fowler