Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Buxtehude Year

heva

Did anyone already here the Buxtehude organ recordings by Ton Koopman?

Not sure to buy them, the samples stun me; is TK having a joke on Buxtehude or what???

===========================

I didn't catch the whole programme a couple of nights ago, but I think that these recordings may well have been some of those heard on Radio 3, in which Ton Koopman talked about Buxtehude.

I too was stunned, but unfortunately, what I didn't hear were familar organ-works which allowed me to compare them to other recordings or live performances.

Did anyone hear the whole programme?

MM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/cotw/pip/eh7oo/

There are five hour long programs, the last of which airs tonight. I haven't been listening, but i think i might record them all over the course of the weekend, then listen at leisure.

=========================

It is now 21.25, and I am stunned again.

Aren't the Amsterdam Baroque Choir and Orchestra just the best?

Beautiful!

:blink:

MM

Great sounds, beautifully recorded, but, in my very humble opinion, played far too fast to enjoy. I have a double cd of 'standard' organ works played by Ton Koopman, and although I really can appreciate the skill and technique required for this, I just don't enjoy performances at these sort of speeds (Waynespeed anyone?).

Great sounds, beautifully recorded, but, in my very humble opinion, played far too fast to enjoy. I have a double cd of 'standard' organ works played by Ton Koopman, and although I really can appreciate the skill and technique required for this, I just don't enjoy performances at these sort of speeds (Waynespeed anyone?).

Mind you, I once heard that Peter Hurford complained about the speed of some Buxtehude on his own recording!

Peter

==========================

I think this is what I had in mind when I suggested that Ton Koopman was exciting and frustrating in equal measure. In terms of scholarship and ability, he is beyond reproach.

The interesting thing is, as a conductor, he doesn't rush his choir or instrumentalists, so why he takes the brakes off for the organ works, I just do not understand.

MM