Mander Organ Builders Forum

Stephen Cleobury

Guest Barry Oakley - voluntarily dereg

Guest Cynic
If the appointee does not meet the original job spec (and I have no idea whether he does or does not), then I would have thought those who do and have been passed over might have a case against the cathedral if they are so inclined - not that I suppose they are. My very rudimentary understanding of employment law is that one is legally obliged to appoint the person most suited to the job and I would have thought that changing the job requirements in mid-process would leave one potentially open to action. Ot is the church immune from this?

As you well know, VH, our CofE clergy are as unlikely to make a mistake as a judge or a policeman.

There can't therefore be much chance of them ever doing anything questionable.

The head-hunting company, being professionals are also incapable of error.

Shame on you for suggesting that anything more immaculately perfect or straight-forward could have been done!

Goodness, we are in Great Britain aren't we? Where no minister would ever think of accepting a bribe nor any company ever pay one!

Seriously, having discovered that one of the few people in the musical world not only has the ability to do this job but actually wants it, we should all breathe a sigh or relief and wish him well. Following Richard's comment, I assume that Huw Williams will become officially The Organist of St.Paul's, much as Christopher Dearnley was in the second half of his time at St.Paul's. Let's hope they don't appoint head-hunters again to fill a post which is already well-filled.

One thought: I wonder how this appointment will impact on The Cardinall's Musick. Will he still have time for both?

I heard, from one who should know, that he intends to keep the Cardinall's Musick going - which I am pleased about!

I too think this is a very imaginative appointment - looking forward to seeing/hearing the results!

JJK

If the appointee does not meet the original job spec (and I have no idea whether he does or does not), then I would have thought those who do and have been passed over might have a case against the cathedral if they are so inclined - not that I suppose they are. My very rudimentary understanding of employment law is that one is legally obliged to appoint the person most suited to the job and I would have thought that changing the job requirements in mid-process would leave one potentially open to action. Or is the church immune from this?

Rumour has it that one, possibly two, of the 'qualified' cathedral organists who applied subsequently withdrew their applications.

JS

Rumour has it that one, possibly two, of the 'qualified' cathedral organists who applied subsequently withdrew their applications.

JS

I suppose the downside of the Carwood and Patrington appointments is that there is no backfilling and opportunities have not been created for experienced assistants to obtain their first cathedral post.

. My very rudimentary understanding of employment law is that one is legally obliged to appoint the person most suited to the job

I think it is more a case of appointing s/he who most closely matches the published job description and if you find that the job you have advertised is rather differennt from the job you want to appoint to your choices are either stick with the advertisement or go back to the beginning and start all over again. You are not allowed to shift the goalposts in the course of the match. If you want them placed elsewhere you have to start a new one, except in the most unusual circumstances. If you screw up the advertisement, the safest course is almost always to start again to avoid complaints from (1) people who have applied but would not have done so if the criteria now to be applied had been those advertised and (2) people who have not applied but would have if the criteria now to be used had been the ones in the advertisement

and I would have thought that changing the job requirements in mid-process would leave one potentially open to action. Or is the church immune from this?

I rather think not.

• 1 month later...
Quite. I think this is a most wonderfully intelligent choice. St Paul's has always had a reputation for - how shall we put this? - not being entirely free of difficulty in ensuring a reliable and supportive back row. Carwood commands massive respect among singers, and for that matter all serious musicians I have encountered. His reputation in performing, organising and conducting highly successful events (both one-offs and over a sustained period) from early to contemporary music and everything in between is glowing. I don't know how well he plays, and frankly I couldn't care less - St Paul's is crawling with good players - I cannot imagine a better match of needs and skills.

Interesting - so Clare Stevens is a 'lurker', here.

(See Classical Music magazine, 26th May, page 9.)

Has anyone else also noticed the slightly oblique announcement to the effect that Stephen Farr is leaving Guildford Cathedral to become Director of Music at St. Paul's, Knightsbridge? (This appeared in another recent issue of the same publication.)

Interesting - so Clare Stevens is a 'lurker', here.

(See Classical Music magazine, 26th May, page 9.)

Has anyone else also noticed the slightly oblique announcement to the effect that Stephen Farr is leaving Guildford Cathedral to become Director of Music at St. Paul's, Knightsbridge? (This appeared in another recent issue of the same publication.)

Maybe something to do with his wife's singing career being London based?

Maybe something to do with his wife's singing career being London based?

Hello everyone. Long time etc. I have been tipped off by another 'lurker' that the subject of my move to London has come up. It's very simple - I want to do something different for a while, and after almost 20 years of turning out seven services a week the prospect of pursuing a wider range of activities really appeals to me; I had a sabbatical term earlier in the year which I spent doing more of the sort of thing I used to do, and I discovered just how much I missed my playing. Knightsbridge has a fine choir, excellent liturgy, and supportive clergy; I wasn't the only cathedral organist to apply....and there'll be no more scraping the ice off the car at 6.45am to drive across the rush hour to take chorister practices in the dark. Let me also say for the complete and utter avoidance of doubt that I am leaving Guildford on the best possible terms with all of my colleagues; I've been extremely happy here. Best wishes to all, S