Mander Organs
Guest Lee Blick

Royal Festival Hall Organ

Guest Lee Blick

Thanks Oliver. I think there should be a concerted campaign to get assurances from the authority at the South Bank that there will be funding for the complete restoration of the organ.

To be quite honest, (and this no reflection on Harrison & Harrison) I cannot believe an instrument with such an iconic status is not being wholly restored. They found the funding to restore the organ at the RAH, and they should do the samea t the RFH.

My worry is that the funds will never materialise to finish the job. One of my relatives used to be on the board there, I shall see if I can find out more.

Not enough funding to complete the job?

I had thought that Ken Livingstone had managed to extract a lot of money from the Olympic Fund, some of which was being used to restore the RFH and the organ. (Presumably there will be a table tennis tournament in the foyer, in order to justify the appropriation of these funds.)

I had further understood that the cost of restoring (and acoustically altering) the hall stood at around ninety-one million pounds. Could they not have spared a little more from this and re-instated the entire instrument this year?

Guest Roffensis

It's not before time that this organ was reinstated. It's been in store way too long, and is too important to be left like that. I understand the acoustic is a lot more favourable than it was. I sincerely hope that we don't go down the road of "revoicing", or of making it more "polite". It's essentially French character and very forward thinking in 1951 frankly left a lot of others in the shadows. The acoustic never flattered it, and I often thought how much more magnificent it would be bathed in even a couple of seconds more reverb.

I'm personally delighted to think it will all hopefully be going back, and I hope the restoration of major concert organs does not stop there.

THERE IS ANOTHER

And that other has the potential to be as magnificent as it ever was, and following the RAH, and RFH it is owed to us all.

I honestly believe jealousy and even fear sometimes play more than a small part in what gets done and what doesn't.

I mention no organs, there is only one that has had such a unbelievably sad "life". We truly are a nation of Philistines. I am ashamed to be English sometimes. Where is common sense?

R

It's not before time that this organ was reinstated. It's been in store way too long, and is too important to be left like that. I understand the acoustic is a lot more favourable than it was. I sincerely hope that we don't go down the road of "revoicing", or of making it more "polite". It's essentially French character and very forward thinking in 1951 frankly left a lot of others in the shadows. The acoustic never flattered it, and I often thought how much more magnificent it would be bathed in even a couple of seconds more reverb.

R

Didn't the RFH at one time have an electronic 'reverberation' system?

How well did it work with the organ?

I understand the acoustic is a lot more favourable than it was. I sincerely hope that we don't go down the road of "revoicing", or of making it more "polite". It's essentially French character and very forward thinking in 1951 frankly left a lot of others in the shadows. The acoustic never flattered it, and I often thought how much more magnificent it would be bathed in even a couple of seconds more reverb.

A valid point, discussed earlier in the thread here. I am sure that David Hirst (Mark Venning's successor) will be no less fastidious.

Tonight's Evening Standard reports that the organ will be fully restored with the aid of a grant from The Heritage Lottery Fund, so they seem to be very confident.

Personally I can think of more worthy instruments, which will probably get nothing. It was more important to have completed the RAH organ.

Colin Richell.

Didn't the RFH at one time have an electronic 'reverberation' system?

How well did it work with the organ?

The London County Council designed a system to extend the reverberation period of the Hall by using several hundred Helmholz resonators in the ceiling. The length of the reverberation was controllable.

I think it was used as much for the organ as for orchestras.

However I did not notice any particular resonance - but I'm sure you could have heard a differnece if it was turned off.

There was a more noticable difference between a half full and a full auditorium; eventhough the seats were intended to have the same sound absorbtion when empty as when occupied.

Last Sunday I heard Baremboim playing the Emperor concerto at the RFH, my first visit since it reopened, and thought the acoustics were remarkably clear and supportive for the piano and orchestra. But there was no sort of reverberation that an organ would really like!