Mander Organ Builders Forum

St. Paul's Cathedral

Dave Mills

Last May I attended a demonstration, which I thoroughly enjoyed, of the organs in St. Pauls Cathedral.

The only disappointment was that I had hoped they would use the Royal Trumpets and John Scott told us that normally they would have done, but, unfortunately, they had been removed temporarily to enable cleaning of the stonework in the nave.

Does anyone know whether the trumpets are back in place yet, or when they are likely to be reinstated?

Thanks,

Dave Mills

Guest Geoff McMahon

The Royal Trumpets should be back in place in a month or two when the cleaning of that area is complete. We don't have a fixed date for that yet.

John Pike Mander

• 1 year later...
The Royal Trumpets should be back in place in a month or two when the cleaning of that area is complete. We don't have a fixed date for that yet.

John Pike Mander

It is said that when Sir William McKie, at that time organist of Westminster Abbey, visited the Cathedral of St John the Divine in New York he was not over happy.

Firstly they were calling him “Sir Bill” and secondly they took great delight in pointing out that everything was larger (but not older) than Westminster Abbey.

Eventually they finished up beneath the great circular West window, with its battery of en chamade reed pipes. “Say Sir Bill”, they said, “That’s our State Trumpet, I bet you haven’t got anything like that back at the Abbey”.

Sir William looked at them rather coldly and replied, “When we want the State Trumpets, we send for them!”

Frank Fowler