Mander Organ Builders Forum

Where Are They Now?

Guest Psalm 78 v.67

Guest Psalm 78 v.67

One finds on NPOR such comments as "organ no longer present; believed to be in ****shire"

Rather than start a topic for one specific question, I am leaving this open-ended. Hopefully, some missing info might become available to Tony and his colleagues!

My specific question is - I don't suppose anyone can shed any light as to where this instrument might now be? http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=D04993

I played it many times in its original home, and, despite an (on paper) unpromising spec, it was surprizingly versatile.

(Incidentally, how do you turn a word (like this) into a hyperlink rather than inserting the URL? I know that Vox Humana knows how to.. (He may even know the answer to my organ query! :D As also may Denis O Connor! :) )

I'm an idiot. I meant to start this thread in the "Organ and its music" forum. Er, Rachel/John - can you move it please? Sorry :rolleyes:

(Incidentally, how do you turn a word (like this) into a hyperlink rather than inserting the URL?

1. When replying, you want the menu options you get when you click the reply button to a post or the "more options" button to the "fast reply" option.

2. Copy the URL you want to link to.

3. Type the words you want to appear in the link, such as "pcnd's chamade"

4. Highlight those words by clicking and dragging

5. Click the icon in the menu bar that looks like a globe + paper clip

6. In the script bar that appears (you may need to turn off your pop-up blocker) paste the URL, click the OK button and you should get:

pcnd's chamade

Sorry, but I never knew the Lewin's Mead organ, or what happened to it.

:)

Hmmm.... Vox and Pierre. I shall remember these comments.

:angry:

For a long time....

.... a very long time.

Be afraid

....be very afraid.

Pierre, I think you shall suffer the fate of a thousand Cymbales (33-36-40-43)

....and Vox - mmmm ..... oh yes! I have it - you shall be condemned to play Bach from an edition which magically forces you to make clavier changes every two bars - and on this organ:

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=D01544

Your favourite builder, I believe.

That should do it.

One finds on NPOR such comments as "organ no longer present; believed to be in ****shire"

Rather than start a topic for one specific question, I am leaving this open-ended. Hopefully, some missing info might become available to Tony and his colleagues!

Hi

Any confirmed information is more than welcome. We are trying to get everything up to date - and we've even managed to slightly reduce the backlog.

Every Blessing

Tony

(NPOR Editor)

....and Vox - mmmm ..... oh yes! I have it - you shall be condemned to play Bach from an edition which magically forces you to make clavier changes every two bars - and on this organ:

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=D01544

Your favourite builder, I believe.

That should do it.[/font]

A friend is PP in an Exeter church (Blessed Sacrament) where a Hele is installed. I know very little about this builder. The organ needs work, lacking anything above a 4' (though it has a Swell super octave) and needing a mixture of some kind for body. Ther church is comparatively small but quite resonant, so a large instrument is not needed. The congregation, unusually for a Catholic setup, sings quite enthusiastically.

Peter

A trawl through NPOR suggests that it is quite difficult to find an organ in Exeter that isn't a Hele. It looks like near blanket coverage - more so than in Plymouth - though of course the data may be incomplete.

There are Heles and Heles. This one, for example, is really quite nice, but the spec suggests that it must be an early opus. I am only surmising, but perhaps it is the work of George Hele?

Later Hele organs are very much in the octopodian tradition of the early 20th century. Again I am guessing, but I imagine John Calvert Hele's tastes were rather different to George's.

A brief history of the firm is here.

A pity their website doesn't seem to work - at least on my pc anyway.

AJJ

Nor here!

A most pointless exercise, I must say. When will companies realise that a website works for them 24/7. It is their 'shop window'. In my experience, lack of care and attention to a website is uaually lack of care and attention in their daily business generally!