Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Organists' Nightmare?

Peter Clark

It happened yesterday at a funeral - a wasp buzzing around the console light .... I hate the bloody things (though I don't think I would kill one ). The fact is that there is NOTHING one can do about this. The hymn was Abide with Me which I could get away with by playing right hand and pedals for a verse while I shoo the beast away with Karg-Elert's Cathedral Windows (which after all has to be useful for something) except that I have a slightly poorly left leg (accident a couple of weeks ago though much better now thank you very much). That's what hell will be like if I land on the wrong side of the fence. Non-stop organ playing with non-stop wasps.

Peter

Guest Patrick Coleman

How about playing for Evening Prayer with increasing amounts of tear gas enveloping the console?

Guest Lee Blick
How about playing for Evening Prayer with increasing amounts of tear gas enveloping the console?

Wouldn't a wave of the 'Holy Smoke' in your direction be a solution?

When I started in my previous church position, at St. Peter's Leckhampton, there was a bees nest inside the organ. Although it didn't cause too many problems I had to get used to the fact that from time to time bees would fly out of the opening around the swell pedal & buzz around my legs for a while. I remember ringing Nicholsons (who maintain the organ) on one occasion, and when I gave the name of the church the secretary said "Ah yes, the church with the bees". Eventually an expert was brought in to remove the nest.

When I started in my previous church position, at St. Peter's Leckhampton, there was a bees nest inside the organ. Although it didn't cause too many problems I had to get used to the fact that from time to time bees would fly out of the opening around the swell pedal & buzz around my legs for a while. I remember ringing Nicholsons (who maintain the organ) on one occasion, and when I gave the name of the church the secretary said "Ah yes, the church with the bees". Eventually an expert was brought in to remove the nest.

Reminds me of the birds popping out of the pipes in one of the episodes of Dad's Army!!

AJJ

Guest Barry Williams

Prior to the restoration of Beddington Church organ the console was within the casework. The blower was situated in a shed with a sewerage pipe conveying the 'wind' from the said shed to the organ.

One day at Evensong the organist failed to play the first hymn as annouced. It transpired that the motor mowers had been stored in the shed after use and the fumes were pumped into the organ, leaking in such a

way that the lady organist was nearly asphyxiated.

At the rebuild the blower was situated in the chamber and the problem thus overcome.

Barry Williams

When I started in my previous church position, at St. Peter's Leckhampton, there was a bees nest inside the organ.

It's when you're playing for BCP evensong on Easter Day that verse 12 of psalm 118 rings true...