Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organs On Screen (not The Screen!)

Guest Psalm 78 v.67

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=D04833

Appeared and was heard briefly in a BBC drama in about 1996 called "No Bananas", played by myself. The scene was supposedly a carol service (filmed on a very hot day in June!)

Dear Clifford Harker (rest his soul) did £30 better than I did !

Incidentally where can I get hold of/borrow a copy of his biography mentioned in a recent post? My local library have failed to trace it.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Canterbury Tale (Although supposed to be at Canterbury actually filmed in St. Albans, as Canterbury's organ had been dismantled) - 1944

I remember seeing this...I think they used the sound of St Albans organ, but the pics are of Canterbury...including those of the organ console when it was in its loft over the choir stalls pre 1948.

All the interior shots of Canterbury Cathedral were filmed at Denham Studios, in a recreation of the cathedral, not only was the organ dismantled for fear of bombing but all the stain glass windows were removed as well!

Jonathan

Actually, that has reminded me about that Trollope mini series, The Choir. I remember most of it was filmed at the cathedral that will sell itself for anything, and although there were quite a few choir practice shots, there were a couple of scenes in the cathedral itself with singing and organ.

That was, I believe, Gloucester. David Briggs was DOM at the time and, apparently, he shaved his hands/fingers for shots of the organ being played.

:(

That was, I believe, Gloucester. David Briggs was DOM at the time and, apparently, he shaved his hands/fingers for shots of the organ being played.

:(

It was, and he did. I also understood he lay under the piano in the song school playing it while Nicholas Farrell pretended to play it! Incidentally the director had a particulary interesting name, Ferdinand Fairfax, shame the surname wasn't spelt differently!! :(

J

A few more:

In the excellent film 'Sneakers' made in 1992, when Robert Redford meets up with the love interest, played by Mary McDonnell, in her teaching studio, there is a small two manual organ behind her, it isn't hear however.

Another excellent English film, 'Lease of Life' (1954), which was almost Robert Donat's last film, the local cathedral organist, played by Trevor Howard, is seen playing in the loft, and there are shots of the building. The 'cathedral' in question is actually Beverley Minster, my cousin was one of the schoolboys in the congregation, he attended Beverley Grammar.

And of course, although it is fantasy, the organ is used in the soundtrack to 'A Matter of Life and Death' (1946). It is used when you see the whole assembled crowd in heaven waiting to see the 'trial' of David Niven.

Jonathan

Why? Dare I ask?

Charles

Because Nicholas Farrell, who was playing the fictitious DOM (and who couldn’t play the organ), didn’t have hairy hands. David Briggs was his “playing” stunt double, has hairy hands.

Dear Clifford Harker (rest his soul) did £30 better than I did !

Incidentally where can I get hold of/borrow a copy of his biography mentioned in a recent post? My local library have failed to trace it.

Music Maker - An appreciation of the life and work of Clifford Harker - Margaret Hilton

Verona House Publications

382 Church Road, Frampton Cotterell, Bristol, BS36 2AB

or through Amazon - key in ISBN 0 952 5015 2 X in the book search facility

An affectionate account of this wonderful musician's work at Bristol Cathderal and three choral societies in Bristol and Bath, plus music making in the Middle East during WWII.

All the interior shots of Canterbury Cathedral were filmed at Denham Studios, in a recreation of the cathedral, not only was the organ dismantled for fear of bombing but all the stain glass windows were removed as well!

Jonathan

In the film they used the cathedral choir - I used to know one of the altos who was in the film, he did not mention anything about being at a studio...

:rolleyes:

I remember one scene where DB improvised at the organ for a short time, on the theme music played before and after each episode. And at the same time as pretending to be Nicholas Farrell............. :lol:

I think I mentioned this in another thread: in the film 84 Charing Cross Road isn't the Cathedral of St John the Divine in New York featured, the organist (uncredited I think*) accompanying For Unto Us a Child is Born? My DVD is on what now seems to be long-term loan to someone so I can't verify this, does anybody have it?

Peter

*It's not you is it Nigel? :rolleyes:

There was a tv drama tv (perhaps BBC1)in the 70's or 80's which featured an organist. I can't remember much other than it seemed to have some doomsday senario. The organist in question would not play the Bach T and F in D minor because it had some special qualities. When he did in a recital, the place started to collapse. I don't recall the entire plot, but remember a mobile console? possibly for the final scenes. I do hope someone else remembers it as I must have been about 10 at the time!

Artemis 81.

There was a lot of footage of Liverpool Cathedral. I remember a lot of close up shots of an organ console being played, but I don't remember it being a 5 decker.

The well known "popular" musician Gordon Sumner was in the film.

The show is available on DVD

A quick google came up with this http://www.davidrudkin.com/html/tv/artemis.html apparently it was Southwell - but no mention of the organist

Guest Hector5
Artemis 81.

There was a lot of footage of Liverpool Cathedral. I remember a lot of close up shots of an organ console being played, but I don't remember it being a 5 decker.

The well known "popular" musician Gordon Sumner was in the film.

The show is available on DVD

A quick google came up with this http://www.davidrudkin.com/html/tv/artemis.html apparently it was Southwell - but no mention of the organist

I remember this one!!!!! I think you'll find that there were two organs in the programme - one, which was a 5m - looking suspiciously like an old Willis console (possibly Father Willis). The programme seemed to be based around the Brahms Fugue in Ab minor. I think the organist playing Southwell may have been Patrick Gowers - or at least the composer for much of the music.

I remember this one!!!!! I think you'll find that there were two organs in the programme - one, which was a 5m - looking suspiciously like an old Willis console (possibly Father Willis). The programme seemed to be based around the Brahms Fugue in Ab minor. I think the organist playing Southwell may have been Patrick Gowers - or at least the composer for much of the music.

IMDb says the original music for this was written by Dave Greenslade. :rolleyes:

Jonathan

I can't quite remember if an organ featured in the choir scenes in the excellent BBC dramatisation of the Barchester novels about 15 years ago - starring Higel Hawthorne and Alan Rickman I think. I've also often wondered who wrote the theme tune for the series - a setting of the Benedictus if memory serves. Anybody know?

Peter

I can't quite remember if an organ featured in the choir scenes in the excellent BBC dramatisation of the Barchester novels about 15 years ago - starring Higel Hawthorne and Alan Rickman I think. I've also often wondered who wrote the theme tune for the series - a setting of the Benedictus if memory serves. Anybody know?

Peter

Derek Bourgeois is credited as Conductor on IMDb, but there is no reference to a composer. His own website indicates he wrote a piece called 'A Barchester Choral Suite' which was published two years after the programme was first broadcast. The first broadcast was 1982.

Jonathan

Guest Barry Williams
Derek Bourgeois is credited as Conductor on IMDb, but there is no reference to a composer. His own website indicates he wrote a piece called 'A Barchester Choral Suite' which was published two years after the programme was first broadcast. The first broadcast was 1982.

Jonathan

The DVD credit for Barchester Chronicles is: 'Incidental music by Derek Burgeois'.

Does anyone remember Roger Fisher's splendid LP of film scores? It is still one of my favourites.

Barry Williams

The DVD credit for Barchester Chronicles is: 'Incidental music by Derek Burgeois'.

Does anyone remember Roger Fisher's splendid LP of film scores? It is still one of my favourites.

Barry Williams

Barry,

I looked on his website but could't see a film music CD. Do you suppose it has been deleted?

Peter

Barry,

I looked on his website but could't see a film music CD. Do you suppose it has been deleted?

Peter

Methinks it might only be available in the old fashioned but excellent format of vinyl! If available at all, it is probably only possible to get it secondhand, I would watch eBay.

Jonathan :)

Guest Barry Williams
Barry,

Peter

Dear Peter,

I suspect that it was deleted along time ago.

it may be that permission could be obtained for a CD from the LP. Please send me an email if you wish me to follow this up.

Yours sincerely,

Barry

Guest Psalm 78 v.67

Not exactly an organ, but one of the "pieces" that accompany the programme listings on Sky TV sounds to me to have a (?)synthesized vocal ostinato that sounds like the word "Kyrie" repeated five times going up a minor scale from the tonic. Am I right? Was this specially composed or is it part of a pop "Mass" ?

In the TV film Goodnight Mr. Tom, John Thaw played the Organ in the village church. The film was set in wartime, but the Organ in question looked very 20th century to me! Anybody know which church it was?

Regards to all

John