Mander Organ Builders Forum

Amazing Discovery

Denis O'Connor

Readers of a certain rather glossy mid-Atlantic journal devoted to organ and associated matters may have picked up in an advertisement for a new recording that one of our prominent Anglican cathedrals is housing a 5 manual organ by Father Willis. Considering the old boy shuffled off tnis mortal coil over a century ago,the cathedral authorities must be congratulated on concealing the existence of this large instrument with conspicuous success for such a long time. Are there any other 5-manual organs by this builder still waiting to be discovered?

Guest Cynic
Readers of a certain rather glossy mid-Atlantic journal devoted to organ and associated matters may have picked up in an advertisement for a new recording that one of our prominent Anglican cathedrals is housing a 5 manual organ by Father Willis. Considering the old boy shuffled off tnis mortal coil over a century ago,the cathedral authorities must be congratulated on concealing the existence of this large instrument with conspicuous success for such a long time. Are there any other 5-manual organs by this builder still waiting to be discovered?

You refer to the 'Grand Father Willis Organ' DVD (Prof. Tracey at Liverpool Cathedral) being issued by Priory?

Assuming that what we see in the advert is straight photograph of a stock copy, it would appear to be a tad late for them to correct this - oh what fun! [i should'nt show amusement, I know.]

Priory's proof-reading has always left a certain amount to be desired, but this is a classic new league of mistake! On the other hand, I have no doubt that it will be an issue well worth having.

You refer to the 'Grand Father Willis Organ' DVD (Prof. Tracey at Liverpool Cathedral) being issued by Priory?

Assuming that what we see in the advert is straight photograph of a stock copy, it would appear to be a tad late for them to correct this - oh what fun! [i should'nt show amusement, I know.]

Priory's proof-reading has always left a certain amount to be desired, but this is a classic new league of mistake! On the other hand, I have no doubt that it will be an issue well worth having.

So is Goss-Custard seen playing on it as well?

:rolleyes:

I'm afraid they've dropped even bigger blunders in the past! Priory once released a disc called something like "The Music of Durham Cathedral", complete with a lovely, full page picture inside of the organ....... of Hereford Cathedral!

Having said that, the vast majority of their discs that I own are exceedingly enjoyable, better good discs and comedy errors in the printing that the more Blairitepossibility of crumby recordings with superb artwork and marketing.

I'm afraid they've dropped even bigger blunders in the past! Priory once released a disc called something like "The Music of Durham Cathedral", complete with a lovely, full page picture inside of the organ....... of Hereford Cathedral!

My wife is trying to get me a copy of the Liverpool DVD as a 'surprise' birthday present. Unfortunately, word has reached my ears that, although she e-mailed the order when the DVD was first advertised in OR, she has not yet received any acknowledgement. That must be a couple of weeks or more.

How do I tell her to ring Priory and nag them into dealing with it without revealing that I know about it?

John

Guest Cynic
My wife is trying to get me a copy of the Liverpool DVD as a 'surprise' birthday present. Unfortunately, word has reached my ears that, although she e-mailed the order when the DVD was first advertised in OR, she has not yet received any acknowledgement. That must be a couple of weeks or more.

How do I tell her to ring Priory and nag them into dealing with it without revealing that I know about it?

John

Studying the seriously small print in Priory's recent Choir and Organ advertisement, the proof-reading there doesn't seem to have been terribly well done either. Anyway, it appears that what was sent to the magazine was at the time only a draft copy of the cover. The DVD may not actually be ready! I think this is something that happens occasionally in the wider publishing world - public notice is drawn to something even before it is in stock and ready to sell.

John, you are stuck, mate! What a nice gift idea, anyway. [Pity my wife doesn't read this forum.] I'm sure your copy will arrive eventually....though there is a chance that, if the covers are being reprinted because someone with brains has spotted the mistake and insisted upon this, you may have to wait a while!

Priory's proof-reading has always left a certain amount to be desired.

It's not just their proofreading either. Some time ago I wrote to tell them that the numerical code in one of their CD booklets, indicating for each track the registration being used by the organist, was useless because the booklet didn't include the organ's specification (and therefore the stops couldn't be matched to the code). They replied that the specification was readily available elsewhere (well, yes, but not necessarily with the same numbering system!), but in any case they had now got the spec off the internet (!) and would print it in the booklet accompanying their next release from that venue! I think they missed the point entirely. Still, it was a nice CD.

There is possibly another discovery in the Looking Ahead section (Sep/Oct issue)of the same publication. "The long awaited refurbishment of Birmingham Town hall is complete: before its doors open to the public, we pay a visit to its five-manual William Hill organ, under the care of Harrison and Harrison". strange, I thought that the recent work had been carried out by our hosts. Its mighty quick to have lost the tuning contract?

PJW

Guest Barry Oakley

I cannot remember who the producer was, but many years ago a vinyl was made of a recital given by Simon Preston on the organ of Hull City Hall. The sleeve picture, however, showed him posed at the console of Westminster Abbey.

I cannot remember who the producer was, but many years ago a vinyl was made of a recital given by Simon Preston on the organ of Hull City Hall. The sleeve picture, however, showed him posed at the console of Westminster Abbey.

A stock PR photograph, perhaps?

I have a copy - I will have a look tonight when I return from work.

Lee - to the best of my knowledge, the avatar function has never worked. I have requested it a couple of times, but it has to be said that it is only a desirability, as opposed to a necessity.

Out of interest, does anyone happen to know how copyright law affects images procured from the internet. For example, is it the case that simply copying an image from one site and pasting it on this site constitutes an infringement of copyright law?

Guest Lee Blick

I must have been dream or hallucinating. I am sure someone haad a signature containing a picture of a rabbit getting close to a portative organ...

Guest Geoff McMahon

Out of interest, does anyone happen to know how copyright law affects images procured from the internet. For example, is it the case that simply copying an image from one site and pasting it on this site constitutes an infringement of copyright law?

Moderator: yes.

Guest Geoff McMahon
I must have been dream or hallucinating. I am sure someone haad a signature containing a picture of a rabbit getting close to a portative organ...

Just in case that was a serious question, it comes from the Macclesfield Psalter in the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge. The rabbit is playing and a dog is blowing it.

Actually only last Saturday week I played a modest IIP Hele that was superbly musical.

Mind you, it had been worked over by Bill Drake.

Edit: This apparent non sequitur was a reply to some posts that have been deleted by the moderator.

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
Actually only last Saturday week I played a modest IIP Hele that was superbly musical.

Mind you, it had been worked over by Bill Drake.

I presume therefore that Simper would sound ok on it? <_<

Just in case that was a serious question, it comes from the Macclesfield Psalter in the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge. The rabbit is playing and a dog is blowing it.

======================

:rolleyes:

So that's why dogs chase rabbits.

MM

I have two coffee mugs with this design on them that are sold (or were maybe) in the Fitzwilliam Museum.

FF

• 3 weeks later...
Studying the seriously small print in Priory's recent Choir and Organ advertisement, the proof-reading there doesn't seem to have been terribly well done either. Anyway, it appears that what was sent to the magazine was at the time only a draft copy of the cover. The DVD may not actually be ready!

Now being advertised on their website as well - still with the error.