Mander Organ Builders Forum

Profile Changes

pcnd5584

I have done this - no change.

Now, I have to log-in every time I disconnect from the internet. It is beginning to get a little tedious....

Did I read somewhere back that you were using Mozilla - I used their 'help line' email some time ago - they solved the problem and were quite prompt - perhaps try them? If not I usually find someone at school who knows - often one of the kids!

AJJ

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cynic
I now find myself lucky enough to have two three (!) friends on this forum - interesting though is the other box which tells who has been 'visiting'! <_< (If it is a non member does it say 'annonymous user' like on the main page? - I've always thought of his as sounding rather dodgy but could it also be classed as virtual stalking!!!!!)

AJJ

That's to put the blackest possible interpretation upon it.

Two good reason they might visit:

1. they like what you write, or at the very least find it sufficiently challenging to want to know more

2. you have the beginnings of a fan base!

I suppose there remains the possibility that they (like me) have too little important to do to fill their day.

I spend a large amount of time following links and using the internet as a lazy person's library. Comedy on the internet is just fabulous and (provided you corroborate information and don't just believe the first site) information is tantalisingly plentiful on almost everything (organs included).

That's to put the blackest possible interpretation upon it.

Two good reason they might visit:

1. they like what you write, or at the very least find it sufficiently challenging to want to know more

2. you have the beginnings of a fan base!

I suppose there remains the possibility that they (like me) have too little important to do to fill their day.

I spend a large amount of time following links and using the internet as a lazy person's library. Comedy on the internet is just fabulous and (provided you corroborate information and don't just believe the first site) information is tantalisingly plentiful on almost everything (organs included).

I confess that I have been 'visiting', although for the most innocent of reasons: I have been trying to work out why the little icon in front of members' names on posts is sometimes in colour and at other times grey. I still haven't worked it out. Perhaps some members are regarded as more colourful than others? I'm sure it's something quite simple and that I'm just being a bit thick.

John

I have been trying to work out why the little icon in front of members' names on posts is sometimes in colour and at other times grey.

In a word, sex.

The colour changes when you set your sex in your profile. Blue = male, pink = female, grey = options open. Haven't seen any pink ones yet...

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
I now find myself lucky enough to have two three (!) friends on this forum - interesting though is the other box which tells who has been 'visiting'! <_< (If it is a non member does it say 'annonymous user' like on the main page? - I've always thought of his as sounding rather dodgy but could it also be classed as virtual stalking!!!!!)

AJJ

Err - durrrr - how does one tell who has been visiting....?

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
In a word, sex.

The colour changes when you set your sex in your profile. Blue = male, pink = female, grey = options open. Haven't seen any pink ones yet...

err - what does red mean then? does it indicate that I fancy Charlotte Church?

Guest Patrick Coleman
In a word, sex.

Isn't it just to indicate who's currently logged in? Sorry this is a less interesting solution. <_<

Isn't it just to indicate who's currently logged in? Sorry this is a less interesting solution. :rolleyes:

Well, no. I am red because I am currently logged in (obviously!). However, Pierre is red and he is not logged in, according to the list at the bottom of the page. Pierre should be GREY! (Nothing personal, Pierre).

That has got me thinking. The idea of having different colours could indicate all sorts of things (determined by choice of buttons at log-in?): red = angry, green = happy, blue = sad, yellow = jaundiced, grey = tired (I think I would be grey most of the time), etc. Others would then know how best to respond to authors' comments. Hey, the more I think about it, the more this idea is growing on me.

John

If he was reading one of the other forums his name would not appear at the foot of this one.

Ah, I see.

I shall immediately change my icon to purple.

Purple = embarrassed!

John

So they say, but I can't get to grips with this new console here! :lol:

Well, I've worked out that you have to log in each time your IP address changes. As my router consumes 10 watts and radiates quite a lot of heat, I tend to turn it off overnight. That's why I need to log in each day. Otherwise, I haven't encountered any problems so far.

JC

Well, I've worked out that you have to log in each time your IP address changes. As my router consumes 10 watts and radiates quite a lot of heat, I tend to turn it off overnight. That's why I need to log in each day. Otherwise, I haven't encountered any problems so far.

JC

But there must be some way to configure the board's software so that this is not necessary. The previous two versions used to remember me for months at a time.

Do you use the main forum page to log on? If so, you could try going to the log-in screen and making sure the "remember me" box is checked before logging on. That might help. I assume you've still got cookies enabled.

Thank you for this, Vox - but this is what I do! The box is checked, the cookie jar is open for business and I have not made any substantive alterations to my anti-virus or firewall programmes.

Oh well....

Thank you for this, Vox - but this is what I do! The box is checked, the cookie jar is open for business and I have not made any substantive alterations to my anti-virus or firewall programmes.

Oh well....

I think this change is possibly intended to protect the board from attack. Having recently suffered a "spam storm", I'm happy to put up with the inconvenience if it makes our details more secure.

JC

I think this change is possibly intended to protect the board from attack. Having recently suffered a "spam storm", I'm happy to put up with the inconvenience if it makes our details more secure.

JC

In which case, this sounds fair enough - I am also happy to put up with this lesser inconvenience.

• 6 months later...
In which case, this sounds fair enough - I am also happy to put up with this lesser inconvenience.

Rather than start a new thread I'm posting my login query here.

For at least a year, possibly since the major spam trouble a few years ago, I've had to login every time I go to the Mander site. For the time that the normal link didn't work whilst the board was transferred to new servers recently I was amazed that by pasting the link provided I didn't have to login each time, but now everything is back to normal and I need to login anew every time I go to the site. Is there a link that I can bookmark that takes me straight to the Discussion Board that might save me login hassle?

As always, thanks to our hosts for having us!