Mander Organ Builders Forum

William Lloyd Webber

Peter Clark

Has any of Lloyd Webber's orchestral music been transcxribed for organ? I am keen to get a copy, if available, of his Serenade for Strings (Barcarolle; Romance; Elegy). I had this on a CD called Invocations - now lost, alas. I think it would make a gentle recital suite.

Thanks

Peter

There is a quite pleasant suite by WLW called 'Chorale Cantiliene and Finale' which doesn't possess tremendous technical difficulties, and makes a nice recital piece, sharing the same thematic material throughout the three pieces (about 3/4 minutes per piece)

A Few years ago, Kevin Mayhew done 'box sets' of organ music (their inhouse stuff mainly, but when you're 11 and getting over £250 of music for £20 you don't complain) and these boxes contained two books of his. His is certainly pleasant, if not world beating music, and there is a gorgeous prelude on rockingham (When i survey the wonderous cross)

That doesn't answer your question at all does it? sorry

db

Has any of Lloyd Webber's orchestral music been transcxribed for organ? I am keen to get a copy, if available, of his Serenade for Strings (Barcarolle; Romance; Elegy). I had this on a CD called Invocations - now lost, alas. I think it would make a gentle recital suite.

Thanks

Peter

Whilst I cannot answer your question, Peter, you could always hire the string parts and practice your skill in reduction? ;-)

I have been trying to find a list of William Lloyd Webber's published works, and can only come up with a list of his works currently available in print? Is anyone able to point me in the direction of a source at all?

Lloyd Webber's choral output was very parish friendly, in that much of it is often liturgically appropriate, approachable by a parish choir and an average parish organist. I have recently used his Venite Exaltemus Domino (SATB + opt. organ double), and, this being the 25th anniversary of his death) his Mass, The Prince of Peace, both with organ accompaniment and with an orchestration authorised by the composer. For the organ his set of Christmas preludes is a delight, as is much of his organ music - I used the Cantilena during communion on Sunday. I also have a rather more robust Prelude and Fugue somewhere that I must dust off - it was trying to find mention of this on-line that prompted my question.

I must pick up copies of his Love Divine, excerpts from which were heard during the Radio 4 broadcast about his (absolutely fascinating) life heard sometime in late May this year, and also available on the Invocation CD - delightful music.

All the best,

Tony

I must pick up copies of his Love Divine, excerpts from which were heard during the Radio 4 broadcast about his (absolutely fascinating) life heard sometime in late May this year, and also available on the Invocation CD - delightful music.

All the best,

Tony

I agree Tony, Love Divine is a gem. I think you can get it in a Mayhew collection of WLW's anthems.

Best

Peter

Thanks

Peter

Why not investigate the music he wrote for the instrument as well? Jane Watts' CD from Salisbury Cathedral (Priory PRCD 616) should help. Incidentally, the Chandos recording Invocation which you mention is still available for purchase as a CD (for just over a fiver on Amazon), or you can pick and choose tracks for downloading as MP3 files (www.theclassicalshop.net)