Mander Organ Builders Forum

Honory Degree For Well-known Organist

DaveHarries

Hi all,

Whilst sitting in the University of Bristol's great hall this morning for the 11:15am ceremony at which my cousin graduated I noticed that, among the list of honorary degrees for this week - which was printed in the running order - is that of Jenifer Bate, familliar to many in the organ world. She is to be given an honorary DMus (Doctor of Music) degree by the university.

The degree is to be conferred on Friday 20th July at the afternoon congregation and is a well deserved piece of recognition for her and I am sure we all wish her well done.

I shall be able to get to the ceremony and into the hall (my father works for the university) and cameras are allowed. Therefore a photo will follow here on Friday evening.

HTIOI,

Dave

'Well deserved! - I think her 1st degree was Bristol too. She once played for a choir I used to sing with - Durufle Requiem in Lincoln Cathedral - 'made the organ sound just as if it were in the centre of Paris!

AJJ

as in, she made the organ sound as if it was 400 miles away? :P

No - as in very French - we'd not heard it sound like that before and Colin Walsh was yet to arrive as DOM!

AJJ

We don't seem to have seen much of Ms Bate on the recital scene in recent years. At one time she was quite prominent. Her recordings of Messiaen at Beauvais are excellent.

I did see her in the audience at a recent Sunday afternoon recital at Westminster Cathedral. I wonder if she has other priorities these days?

Guest Barry Williams

Jennifer Bate gave a stunning recital at Godalming Parish Church last year. Just six items were impeccably played, showing the instrument and music to best advantage. Liszt's 'Ad nos' was spectacular as was the Thalben Ball Variations for Pedal solo (with a camera to see the amazing foot work.)

The playing throughtout was warm, sensitive and attractive, the phrasing suave and most musical. It was truly an event to remember.

After the recital Miss Bate stayed to speak to all, spending a lot of time with some young organ students, offering encouraging and helpful comments.

This was an extremely fine event indeed.

Barry Williams

The degree for Jennifer Bate was, as scheduled, conferred on July 20th:

batedegree.jpg

On the far left, wearing red, is Professor Stephen Bamfield, who delivered the oration. Jennifer Bate is the person on the right wearing the bright red gown and the hat. The hall's organ is behind. In the middle of the group of 5 on the front row is Professor David Clarke, a vice chancellor of the university, who was presiding over the ceremony and who conferred the degree.

Mention was, of course, made during the oration of Jennifer's father's friendship with Olivier Messiaen and it was therefore somewhat fitting that the organ music after the ceremony was Dieu Parmi Nous (from Messiaen's "La Nativite du Seigneur") which was superbly played by Mr. Nigel Nash (deputy organist, Bristol Cathedral) who made good use of the 32' reeds on the pedal.

Dave