Mander Organ Builders Forum

St Pauls Cathedral Organ

Guest Roffensis

Guest Roffensis

Can anyone shed any light on St Pauls Cathedral organ and a recent news article stating that the organ was next following the recent cleaning of the building, mentioning a new organ!!??? A book concerning its history also goes into some depth even to the question of a screen organ being put back. There's food for thought! Of course the fact that so much organ exists elsewhere in the building rather makes a tracker action impossible, and electric action the logical way forward one would suppose. Therefore, wind pressures would not be an issue. To also lose the Willis would be a national travesty. But the idea of the Willis chancel organ on the screen with the two cases married again could be one marvellous leap forward, both aurally and architecturally. Space theoretically would be the same as now, as the cases both abutt blank walls if I am correct. My guess is that the architects would be against it, as at Canterbury in the past. There would seemingly be no reason to compromise the current organ though, even on a screen with the original little roller shutters fitted to it, and the removed carvings could even be replaced. The organ remains one of our glories in England. Any news gratefully to be read!!

Guest Geoff McMahon

This subject has been raised in "General Discussion" although here in "The Organ and its Music" might have been a better home. Please go to General Discussion, although I may move it all to The Organ and its music in the end.

John Pike Mander