Mander Organ Builders Forum

Correct Pronunciation Of Stop Names

Guest Psalm 78 v.67

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, PCND! :rolleyes:

A Cornopean is a type of cornet-à-pistons, an instrument in its own right! Next, you'll be telling us that Clarinets are only organ stops..... :P:)

Yes, I know that but I would not have expected to list this, either.

B)

As for clarinets - of course they are only organ stops - whoever heard of Benny Goodman....

:P

So did you hear it this afternoon? (I used it during I was glad, at a wedding.)

B)

Oh, don't talk to me about I was glad!

I'm playing it four nights on the trot for a repeat concert next week. We had a rehearsal last week with the brass, who are joining in for a number of items in the concert. I'm hopping between the piano and the organ throughout the concert, and shall be hoping that I know where I should be (and have the necessary score there!) next.

However, unfortunately, there are two significant problems. The first is that, when I'm at the piano, all the brass players are tightly packed right next to my left side, and are constantly playing flat-out. Added to that, I have a drummer for various items right behind me, with cymbals and drums virtually digging into my back. After last week's rehearsal, I left for home with severely depleted hearing and with both ears hurting, and my left ear still doesn't feel normal yet. I'm going to take ear plugs with me next week for each of the concerts. Far from ideal, I know, but I couldn't stand it otherwise. The sound level physically hurts.

The second is problem is that, when I'm at the organ and they join me for I was glad and RVW's Old 100th, I am sitting at a detached console, quite a long way from the instrument. In between me at the console and the organ I have the brass players. Then there is staging for a 70 strong choir and, buried behind them, is the instrument itself at the opposite end of the church. I can't hear a single thing from the instrument, even if playing on full organ! It's rather disconcerting actually...

:rolleyes:

[rant mode on]

In another job, I have frequently to approve reports sent out in my name, or that of my functional area, but written by others. I am apparently known as a martinet for spelling*, punctuation, grammar, etc., to the extent of not allowing such things to be sent out unless they have been scrutinised first, and all infelicities corrected. (I especially abhor the results of so called "spell-checkers"!) [/rant mode off]

I had particular joy reading a report that talked of "Waisting resources" rather than "wasting resources" yesterday.

Oh, don't talk to me about I was glad!

... I'm hopping between the piano and the organ throughout the concert, and shall be hoping that I know where I should be (and have the necessary score there!) next.

I know what you mean. My brother in law booked me to play timpani in the orchestra for one of his choral society concerts a couple of years ago. About a couple of weeks before the concert he rang me and said "You don't mind playing principal horn, too, do you - I think it will work out!". Then, later he said "Oh, by the way, would you play organ continuo as well? When you're not occupied on timpani or horn for the major items?"

Great joy. I think I only found myself at the wrong instrument once during the performance.

Actually, it was good fun.