Mander Organ Builders Forum

St George's, Windsor

Vox Humana

There may or may not be any substance in this, But I'm sure someone here will know what's what.

A non-musical friend of my wife's was in Windsor recently and told her that the organ is currently out of action as it is being renovated. Is this true and, if so, does anyone know what is being done? As you all know I feel rather sentimental about the old gal and I'd hate to think of her being mucked around too much (though I do remember one or two things that might profitably be improved).

There may or may not be any substance in this, But I'm sure someone here will know what's what.

A non-musical friend of my wife's was in Windsor recently and told her that the organ is currently out of action as it is being renovated. Is this true and, if so, does anyone know what is being done? As you all know I feel rather sentimental about the old gal and I'd hate to think of her being mucked around too much (though I do remember one or two things that might profitably be improved).

Try this, Vox:

http://www.stgeorges-windsor.org/today/tod_organ.asp

I wonder if your wife's friend had chanced upon a tuning visit? It seems unlikely that H&H (or anyone else) would have dismantled the instrument so soon after the work which they carried-out in 2002.

I wonder if your wife's friend had chanced upon a tuning visit? It seems unlikely that H&H (or anyone else) would have dismantled the instrument so soon after the work which they carried-out in 2002.

I wondered that too, since I was aware of the 2002 work. It is entirely possible since the person in question really has no musical sensibilities at all. In Campbell's days at least, Harrisons made a tuning visit every two weeks. But if (big "if") the organ really is out of action so soon, the most likely explanation would be that significant alterations are being made. But if that were the case you'd have thought the work would have been done before now.

I wondered that too, since I was aware of the 2002 work. It is entirely possible since the person in question really has no musical sensibilities at all. In Campbell's days at least, Harrisons made a tuning visit every two weeks. But if (big "if") the organ really is out of action so soon, the most likely explanation would be that significant alterations are being made. But if that were the case you'd have thought the work would have been done before now.

Not sure if this is significant, but the service lists available here show organ voluntaries after Sunday evensong up to and including Sunday 22 July, but nothing since then.

Guest Patrick Coleman

When I was there for a consultation in May the organ was covered in plastic sheeting due to structural work taking place underneath it - but it was still very much in action (if a little muffled).

I played for a visiting choir there just before Easter - the organ is definitely working and what an instrument!

The reason is because there was major work being undertaken on the Nave floor.

As you all know I feel rather sentimental about the old gal and I'd hate to think of her being mucked around too much (though I do remember one or two things that might profitably be improved).

Always nice to hear a man talk positive about his spouse :huh:

When I was there for a consultation in May the organ was covered in plastic sheeting due to structural work taking place underneath it - but it was still very much in action (if a little muffled).

The two organ cases were still covered in July when I heard the St Thomas Choir from New York there, and I imagine that the presence of the protective sheeting has led to uninformed speculation. As has been said by another poster, work is being done to the the nave floor; no work is taking place on the organ.