Mander Organ Builders Forum

Royal Albert Hall

alan taylor

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just re discovered a CD of the RAH organ played by Francis Grier and Timothy Bond (BBC Radio Classics 15656 91602 - from the Sound Archives) recorded at proms during the early 80s but issued in the mid 90s. Messaien's Nativite and L'Ascension - incredible sounds but somewhat starved of wind in the 'big' bits!! Anyone else heard this?

AJJ

I'm in the process of trying to find second-hand copies of SPs 1960s Decca LPs from Westminster Abbey, Colston Hall, Hull City Hall, King's and then getting them transferred to CD. Waiting for some enterprising record label to licence them ......

I actually have all those plus the original Handel Organ Concertos with Menuhin and the Messe de la Pentecote from St Albans' and the Hindemith Sonatas. I would be happy to consider lending them to you if we can find a way of transporting them that does not put them too much at the mercy of Royal Mail. I would hate them to end up in a landfill somewhere !!

BAC

I have just re discovered a CD of the RAH organ played by Francis Grier and Timothy Bond (BBC Radio Classics 15656 91602 - from the Sound Archives) recorded at proms during the early 80s but issued in the mid 90s. Messaien's Nativite and L'Ascension - incredible sounds but somewhat starved of wind in the 'big' bits!! Anyone else heard this?

AJJ

I thought I was the only person in the world who had bought this... :) The playing is great, and it's very atmospheric. The tuning/winding are very dodgy (a great illustration of the organ pre-Mander); I particularly love the moment Timothy Bond adds a handful of tubas in the final bars of Transports de Joie... Not sure my stereo/the neighbours appreciated it much tho'.

Matthew

PS: To those interested in Messiaen, the Latry/ND de Paris complete works are currently going for a song on Amazon (£21.97). I'm glad I waited...

Not that, but I've got Francis Grier's LPs from ASV of Messiaen and Franck at Christ Church Oxford in 1982/4 (Franck Chorales I, I, II, Messiaen L'Ascension and Messe de la Pentecote) and still enjoy them.

Paul

I've just received the latest RCO News, which contained a leaflet publicising Simon Preston's forthcoming RAH recital. It may be my eyes playing tricks, but the photo seems to show damage to the 32' pipes on either side of the central arch. Has anyone else spotted this, and does anyone know the full story?

Graham

Not that, but I've got Francis Grier's LPs from ASV of Messiaen and Franck at Christ Church Oxford in 1982/4 (Franck Chorales I, I, II, Messiaen L'Ascension and Messe de la Pentecote) and still enjoy them.

Paul

Off point - sorry - but the best Messaien I have ever heard on this side of the 'Manche' was Jennifer Bate playing Nativite at Lincoln Cathedral - she really made the Willis sound like a CC - and did a fab. job with 'us down stairs' in the Durufle Requiem after.

AJJ

• 1 month later...
The programme for Simon Preston's 30 June recital at the RAH is:

Felix Mendelssohn: Overture to the Oratorio "St Paul" (Op. 36)

Robert Schumann: Six Fugues on the name BACH (Op. 60)

Franz Schmidt: Toccata (1924)

Sigfrid Karg-Elert: Valse Mignonne (Op.142, No.2)

Joseph Jongen: Sonata Eroïca (Op. 94)

William Bolcom: Free Fantasia on ‘O Zion, Haste’ and ‘How Firm a Foundation’

.... and with the exception of the Schmidt work, you can hear Simon Preston play his 30 June programme on the RAH organ right now on a new CD from Signum Records called "Royal Albert Hall Organ Restored". On the record label's own website it says the CD is being released in July, but you can get hold of a copy now by going to http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_July_06/SIGCD084.htm where, although it too says the CD is released on 10 July, my copy was delivered on Monday and I was able to listen to it last night.

And it's a superb recording. Preston's playing still has that rhythmic snap about it and Mike Hatch's recording of the organ is very good indeed, better than DGWs on Priory. I still found the 6 Schumann BACH fugues too much (I'd had enough after 3) but otherwise it's a great CD, with a really bravura performance of the Jongen that made this listener, at least, want to stand up and cheer at the end.