Mander Organ Builders Forum

Publicity Gaffes

Guest Cynic

Having received the following via e-mail, I just can't resist sharing it with you all.

Victoria Hall, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

Dr Jennifer Bate FRCO

Saturday September 8th 2007

12 noon Organ Prom ( £4 -concessions £3.50) and

2.45pm Illustrated Lecture - 'Mendelssohn & the Organ (£6)

Organ Prom programme

Imperial March - Sir Edward Elgar

Fantasia in G - Johann Sebastian Bach

Canon in B minor - Robert Schumann

Suite Boutique - Leon Boellmann

Two movements from Sonata V - Alexandre Guilmant

Variations on a theme of Paganini - Sir George Thalban Ball

Toccata on a theme of Martin Shaw - Jennifer Bate

Tickets available on walk-up or box office 0870 060 6649

Other enquiries-

Michael Rhodes 01782 410961

Now, where can I find a copy of the newly discovered Boellmann work? It sounds irresistible.

P.S. I wonder whether (quoting the Trade Descriptions Act) one could turn up and demand to hear this exact work rather than any of the works by Boellmann we already know?

Having received the following via e-mail, I just can't resist sharing it with you all.

Victoria Hall, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent

Dr Jennifer Bate FRCO

Saturday September 8th 2007

12 noon Organ Prom ( £4 -concessions £3.50) and

2.45pm Illustrated Lecture - 'Mendelssohn & the Organ (£6)

Organ Prom programme

Imperial March - Sir Edward Elgar

Fantasia in G - Johann Sebastian Bach

Canon in B minor - Robert Schumann

Suite Boutique - Leon Boellmann

Two movements from Sonata V - Alexandre Guilmant

Variations on a theme of Paganini - Sir George Thalban Ball

Toccata on a theme of Martin Shaw - Jennifer Bate

Tickets available on walk-up or box office 0870 060 6649

Other enquiries-

Michael Rhodes 01782 410961

Now, where can I find a copy of the newly discovered Boellmann work? It sounds irresistible.

P.S. I wonder whether (quoting the Trade Descriptions Act) one could turn up and demand to hear this exact work rather than any of the works by Boellmann we already know?

Perhaps it could be progammed together with March Of The Mannikins (by David Onivas) :huh:

Peter

Well we are talking about the fashionable and 'girl about town' Jennifer Bate, are we not?

Y..e..s. :huh:

Of course it will be someone's automatic spell-checker that is responsible for this burst of creativity... even so, I still find it funny.

BTW an excellent programme, don't you think? Just the stuff to give the troops.

I recall with delight a wonderful gaff in "The Halifax Courier" some years ago, which used to carry the service-settings and voluntaries at the Parish Church. (It may still do so).

Anyway, Philip Tordoff, a cellist and myself decided to do our bit for the RSPCA service, by choosing appropriately whacky animal music for the voluntaries.

Thus, we had "The Swan" with Cello and Piano, the "Cuckoo" with Philip at the piano and the organ Claribel Flute (performed to perfection with clockwork precision by myself), followed by possibly the first (and almost certainly the last) public performance of "L'Elephant" using piano and the 16ft pedal Ophicleide (no sparing on the pedal virtuosity you understand!).

A look at the newspaper revealed the following:-

6.30pm Evensong (RSPCA Annual Service)

Organ voluntaries: A selection from "Carnival" by Ste. Camille sans Animals

:huh:

MM

(What a good job we didn't have the real animals there!)

Organ voluntaries: A selection from "Carnival" by Ste. Camille sans Animals

:P

MM

(What a good job we didn't have the real animals there!)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just love it. Even better than one we saw which reported that Miss A. Brevis was going to take part in a concert...

Can I use it in my ubiquitous book, MM??? :huh:

chirps

Jenny

Enjoyed the pictures, but I ask why with the calibre of Companies such as Manders, Harrisons, David Wells etc, the Church could not have avoided employing a foreign organ building firm, to build the instrument, or is it all about money ?

Colin Richell.

At the end of the day, the church will have to award the contract to the company who offers the best value for money.

Guest Barry Williams
At the end of the day, the church will have to award the contract to the company who offers the best value for money.

Why please? The church should but many do not, often with disastrous results. Moreover those making the mistakes never seem to pay for them, the congregation do instead, often with their pockets or by listening to something quite dreadful.

Barry Williams

often with disastrous results. Moreover those making the mistakes never seem to pay for them, the congregation do instead, often with their pockets or by listening to something quite dreadful.

Barry Williams

Can you give specific examples?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just love it. Even better than one we saw which reported that Miss A. Brevis was going to take part in a concert...

Can I use it in my ubiquitous book, MM??? :rolleyes:

chirps

Jenny

===============================

No problem!

MM