Mander Organ Builders Forum

What's Your Toaster?

biggestelk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Toaster is a customised Wyvern Toccata III organ with external amps and speakers. I also have charge of a Custom built Wyvern Phonenix and Wyvern Sonata at the two chapels in our local crematorium. You would go a long way to beat a Wyvern Sonata for a general purpose practice organ, in my humble opinion.

My toaster is also a customised Wyvern Toccata III complete with extra midi voices (which waste far too much time!)

For some reason best known to themselves Wyvern's standard spec includes an 8 foot Clarinet on the Great but no 4 foot Clarion with which to make a 16-8-4 reed chorus. I requested the said clarion and shifted the clarinet to the positive manual in place of a 1' stop which I could happily do without. The staff at Wyvern organs are wonderfully accommodating and essentially if a spec change was requested early enough (and organs are made to order in the Content factory in Holland) then it could be done without significant extra charge.

I have had so much pleasure with the Toccata III and it does all that I want of it, (except make the tea). It looks quite impressive in my study as well. :lol:

Guest Lee Blick

It's a WYVERN CLUB!

It seems that Wyvern is the choice for discerning readers of the Mander Organs Forum.

How about letting us hear what they sound/look by putting them on You Tube?

My digital organ is a Viscount from the early 90's.

Guest Lee Blick

Very impressed with Viscount Prestige. Current models are very good. I just love the light-up drawstop. You can play these organs in the dark. Perfect for those romantic evenings in on the organ.

No targets here! So hold your head high! Just curious about other peoples instruments. This was never meant to be the Wyvern Owners Club!

Whilst browsing the Compton website, I see they offer a Salicet which looks terribly like the Sonata! Methinks Content offer their organs to various brand names....

Any Allen or Johannus/Makin or Eminent people out there?

I used to sell Rodgers back in the early 1990s and their original machines were nice, but I find they're now obviously showing their Italian birth sound wise. (On the less expensive instruments anyway).

Oliver.

Guest Lee Blick
Wyvern Sonata including the reversible toe pistons and departmental pistons

£5k sounds like a very reasonable price and full registrational aids is a good feature. You have to go for the more expensive models if you want that from some of the other manufacturers.

I gather Wyvern get their consoles made by Renatus in Devon. Keeping it British is always a good idea.

Very impressed with Viscount Prestige. Current models are very good. I just love the light-up drawstop. You can play these organs in the dark. Perfect for those romantic evenings in on the organ.

So what sort of romantic evenings do you have in with your organ then? :lol:

Guest Lee Blick
So what sort of romanic evenings do you have in with your organ then? :D

Unfortunately I don't have a partner so at night if I turn all the lights off and just rely on the glow from my Viscount machine, I feel a bit like the Phantom of the Opera.... :lol:

Unfortunately I don't have a partner so at night if I turn all the lights off and just rely on the glow from my Viscount machine, I feel a bit like the Phantom of the Opera.... :lol:

I think he died a few weeks after releasing Christine and Raoul, so doubt he's available.

Whilst most people thus far seem to have Wyverns, I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and confess to owning a Viscount Prestige, with which I'm very pleased by the way! :lol:

Any chance a viscount prestigue owner can post an audio clip/video on youtube or similar?

I used to sell Rodgers back in the early 1990s and their original machines were nice, but I find they're now obviously showing their Italian birth sound wise. (On the less expensive instruments anyway).

Oliver.

My Rodgers has had quite a few problems in the 11 years that the church has had it, e.g. failing completely because of lightning storm, or uneveness of regulation of flues. There are some nice stops like the flutes, but the reeds sound horrible to my ears.

I would prefer the church to get a Wyvern or something else. Does anyone know if Wyvern organs are sold in the southern hemisphere?

JA

You fellows aren't talking about real toasters! :lol:

Around 1975 I bought an unwanted electronic organ from St Marks Middleton Square London.

This had an oscillator for every note and covered a range of seven octaves - it had over 90 valves! A peep in the inside looked like a furnace! When it was on in my kitchen (!) it beat any toaster and heated the room up to a tropical temperature.

PS I only used one of the two speakers which were the size of wheely bins

I'd thought I'd throw the question to the floor; What's your Toaster?

At the church where I was O/C for 17 years we installed a large 3-manual drawstop Makin in 1979 (one of the last of their analogue instruments before the tone-wheel generator cabinet in the vestry was replaced by circuit-boards in the back of the console). I had 10 more very happy years presiding on that. It was recently rebuilt using "Bradford System" synthesis technology by Hugh Banton (who did the original installation when he worked for Makins). I have to say that I prefer his 32ft reeds to most of those I have heard in pipes!

At home I have a Viscount "Grand Opera" (predecessor of Prestige 1), vintage circa 1990-1991. The flues are OK, reeds + strings are not good (ancient sampling technology). It lacks a decent solo reed. One of the best things on it is the 32ft Contra Bourdon. It's a good instrument for practice, but doesn't give much aural pleasure - for that I use Hauptwerk.