Mander Organ Builders Forum

Liverpool Cathedral / Ian Tracey

tribunegallery

Guest Barry Oakley
Is anyone able to confirm that the new Director of Music comes from Chester Cathedral?

Barry Williams

I'm not aware of any official news breaking from either Chester or Liverpool, but if I think it's the Chester person who is in the frame then no better choice could be made. As well as being a fine organist and an excellent choir trainer, he's also a very likeable young man who has stood in the wings for too long.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell us more! I was in Chester Cathedral yesterday and not a hint of any such thing, although maybe everyone's just keeping mum. I have to admit though it wouldn't surprise me, Chester's music staff are of the highest quality at present and one, although a fine organist, is also an excellent choir man.

they are all good infront of the choir! :blink:

Sorry, Richard, of course you're right and I wouldn't exclude you during your time.

Nah, they hardly ever put me infront of the choir, sometimes on a Friday. David, Philip and Ian all have very different styles infront of the choir, but they are all individually brilliant. I agree with you when you say they have an excellent team; I doubt Chester has ever had such a good bunch.

Well, go on then.....!

Ah well.....

last time I gave a carefully considered opinion of a prominent ex-organ builder I was shot down in flames.

Guest Barry Oakley
The Rushworth web site is still live

http://www.musiclink.co.uk/rushworths/

Alan

I'm surprised it was not shredded (an R&D penchant) when R&D unsurprisingly died about five years ago. IMHO they committed a thoughtless act when they consigned the remaining Compton records to the tip (or was it the shredder?) quite some time before they went down the tubes.

Guest Barry Williams

Is there any part of the Rushworth & Dreaper musical set up left? At one time they had several music shops and one of those shops purveyed a well-known make of synthetic musical instrument with two manuals and pedals.

Barry Williams

Cynic,

Never worry about what you might say about organ builders, dead or alive, providing you can back it up with evidence, which most of us are able to do.

We are waiting with baited breath ! We all mourn the passing of Rushworth and Dreaper, but I suppose more work for those who are left !

Colin Richell.

Cynic,

Never worry about what you might say about organ builders, dead or alive, providing you can back it up with evidence, which most of us are able to do.

We are waiting with baited breath ! We all mourn the passing of Rushworth and Dreaper, but I suppose more work for those who are left !

Colin Richell.

Not exactly. Were you being sarcastic, perhaps?

They were a successful firm in their time, and undoubtedly employed a number of dedicated and able workmen right to the end. However, their hayday was well, well past by the time that they ceased trading. I struggle to think of even a handful of good new organs which they built in the last twenty years. As to rebuilds and restorations, I know of cases where corners were very definitely cut. Whether this was because insufficient funds were made available is of course a moot point.

One particular comment repeated to me strikes as particularly memorable and (I have to assume) characteristic. In official response to a vicar who had seen his PCC pay what to them was a very substantial sum for complete dismantling and complete overhaul followed by reinstallation, when he tried to pass on critical observations from two inaugural recitalists (of whom I was the second and far less well known)

'I don't know what you're worried about, it's only a little country church!'

Guest Barry Williams
Do you mean a digital organ?

I think they sold electronic organs, though at that time they were analogue, not digital. The digital models came later.

Barry Williams