Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ Bench

mwl1

The bench of the main organ I play is far too high. I can barely reach the pedals, and other people have commented on its excessive height. Thus, I feel I need another one.

Does anyone by any chance have an organ bench that is surplus to requirements, that they are giving away or selling? Is there anywhere I could get a bench for a reasonable price? I would be very grateful if you could PM me or add here any help you may be able to offer!!

Thanks

Matthew

The bench of the main organ I play is far too high. I can barely reach the pedals, and other people have commented on its excessive height. Thus, I feel I need another one.

Does anyone by any chance have an organ bench that is surplus to requirements, that they are giving away or selling? Is there anywhere I could get a bench for a reasonable price? I would be very grateful if you could PM me or add here any help you may be able to offer!!

Thanks

Matthew

===========================

The organ bench on the organ I play is lower than normal, due to the fact that one of the organists back in the 1970's was Irish and probably related to a Lepracorn.

The bench now sits in two small but perfectly formed (a bit like the Irish lepracorn) wooden "lifters" which are quite a tight-fit and very secure.

The Lepracornian height was achieved by means of.............a saw.

Have you not thought of this?

:rolleyes:

MM

Guest Barry Oakley

Thanks

Matthew

Peter Goodman had this problem when he arrived to take up the post of Organist & Master of Choristers at Holy Trinity, Hull in the early 1950's. But as MM has said in his latest posting, the problem was solved by careful use of a tenon saw on each of the bench's four feet. After being carefully sawn off, the feet were then re-attached by brass? hinges so that an organist of average stature was not sitting too near the floor. Hope this helps.

Well, it had occurred to me to shorten the existing bench, but it's a very old thing that belonged to the family that built the church in the 1850s, so I don't really want to start chopping it up!! It might actually be worth something...