Mander Organ Builders Forum

Gloucester Cathedral

parsfan

Don't have his contact details I'm afraid, Quentin. I just hope that one of our most exciting young executants and improvisers of recent years is not to be lost to directing a choir.

Apparently he's going back into full-time study at the RNCM ....and it's not organ he's studying ...

Guest Barry Oakley
Apparently he's going back into full-time study at the RNCM ....and it's not organ he's studying ...

How true it is I know not, but I did hear a rumour to the effect that he intends going down the conducting route.

They seem to have had a good crop of assistants at Gloucester in recent years, besides Robert. I've always been impressed whenever I've heard David Bednall, and Ian Ball before him managed to emerge from Briggs' shadow.

David Bednall has joined Bristol Cathedral as sub-organist. It was in the cathedral's service sheet for Sunday 9th September.

Dave

David Bednall has joined Bristol Cathedral as sub-organist. It was in the cathedral's service sheet for Sunday 9th September.

Dave

How strange - I had understood that he left his post as assistant at Wells Cathedral to return to full-time study.

How strange - I had understood that he left his post as assistant at Wells Cathedral to return to full-time study.

Am I right in thinking that he has not in fact held the post of assistant organist at Gloucester - I believe he was organ scholar.

Guest Psalm 78 v.67
Am I right in thinking that he has not in fact held the post of assistant organist at Gloucester - I believe he was organ scholar.

I believe that he was acting assistant when Ian Ball was acting DOM, and even for a short time acting DOM after Ian's departure, but I may be wrong..

Quite right: this month Dave begins work towards a doctorate in composition at Bristol Uni. However, he has picked up plenty of freelance work in order to support his studies, including 3 days a week as '2nd assistant' at the Cathedral.

Ian Ball

Its a shame that Ian is no longer part of the cathedral world. I recall him as assistant at Bristol and he is an accomplished performer and no mean improviser. Some of his fanfares after the reading of the Gospel, at the Sung Eucharist, were astonishing.

Its a shame that Ian is no longer part of the cathedral world. I recall him as assistant at Bristol and he is an accomplished performer and no mean improviser. Some of his fanfares after the reading of the Gospel, at the Sung Eucharist, were astonishing.

That's very kind of you to say so - all undigested Hakim and Debussy at the time I suspect, but no less heartfelt!

As for being no longer 'part of the cathedral world', I miss the team spirit of my choirs and the daily bliss of conducting psalms (yes, I'm a bit of a nerd like that) but I can't say I miss the job itself; I feel I'm doing a wider/worthier/better paid service as an employment lawyer. Still keep my hand in music tho, having been DoM at Gloucester City for 5 years now, although am about to quit that because my 'dayjob' now requires so much driving. Couple of CD projects lined up too. Which is nice.

Come to think of it, very few of my friends and former colleagues have stayed in cathedral music, and the very best organist/conductors I was an undergraduate with point-blank refused even to go there...