Mander Organ Builders Forum

So Long Ago

Westgate Morris

Guest Patrick Coleman
Quick question. Does the actual sound of a 16' pedal reed come out the top of the resonator (full length)? If you were sitting next to the boot - what do you hear? It has been a long time since I was in a real organ when someone was playing.

WM

Our Trombone and Choir Trumpet are so loud it's hard to identify the source of the sound - and I'm afraid to negotiate the ladder and board to hear the Contrafagotto on the Swell :unsure:

Quick question. Does the actual sound of a 16' pedal reed come out the top of the resonator (full length)? If you were sitting next to the boot - what do you hear? It has been a long time since I was in a real organ when someone was playing.

WM

Near the boot I expect you would hear more rattle than proper tone.

The whole pipe produces tone, so placing you ear by the resonator would give you quite a bit, but the real power comes out at the top and from it.

Anyone who has tuned chorus reed pipes by standing over them rather than standing by the side will have experienced severe discomfort from so-doing.

It is unwise for anyone without ear-protection of some kind to tune genuine Tubas.

[in case others ask, one usually stands some distance below chamades with a long iron to tune these. Even my little home-made ones on 3" pressure used to be seriously loud when heard 'head on'!]

Guest Psalm 78 v.67

There are Chamades, and then there are pcnd's Chamades! From whence does one tune the latter? Christchurch? Bournemouth? Ringwood? Blandford Forum? Dorchester? A boat in the English Channel? :o:o:PB)

Pity. I had a vision of you standing there making periodic lunges at the chamades with a golf club in one hand and a wooden chair in the other.

Hmmm.... 'Extreme Tuning'. Well, it does sound more interesting than 'Extreme Ironing'. Although I doubt that it would become an Olympic event in the near future.

:o

There are Chamades, and then there are pcnd's Chamades! From whence does one tune the latter? Christchurch? Bournemouth? Ringwood? Blandford Forum? Dorchester? A boat in the English Channel? :o:o:PB)

Har! Har!

No - partly from below (for the basses), standing just in front of the Pedal Mixture and Nachthorn and (for the trebles), hanging down through a trapdoor in the roof over the instrument. For the record, I use a standard reed knife.

And, yes, it is still very loud there.

The worst part is trying to find the *%$£~# pipes. The rank was arranged to look visually (and possibly aurally....) arresting - not for convenience of maintenance. It also becomes harmonic early on, so that F18 is rather longer than C13, for example.

Near the boot I expect you would hear more rattle than proper tone.

The whole pipe produces tone, so placing you ear by the resonator would give you quite a bit, but the real power comes out at the top and from it.

Anyone who has tuned chorus reed pipes by standing over them rather than standing by the side will have experienced severe discomfort from so-doing.

It is unwise for anyone without ear-protection of some kind to tune genuine Tubas.

[in case others ask, one usually stands some distance below chamades with a long iron to tune these. Even my little home-made ones on 3" pressure used to be seriously loud when heard 'head on'!]

=========================

Oh aye!

I recall tuning a Wurlitzer Post Horn on 15" pressure and voiced fairly flat-out, with all those little exponentially flared-brass resonators poking up towards the ear-drums!

I recall thinking that in octaves, it was the sort of sound one would normally hear just before being destroyed by a very large, American truck!

Horrendous!

MM

Out of interest, have you heard them 'live'?

I was just wondering....

:P

God, I hate school computers - they are so slow....

This is the second day in a row in which I have managed to duplicate posts.

Grrr.......

Ha! - I've just been bought a new one and the 'techies' have just installed it. 'Fantastic machine - very fast and it gets the 'Mander channel' too - I had to get the NPOR unblocked though as the system thought it was unacceptable or rude or something.

AJJ

PS - Sorry - off topic but teaching types have to communicate sometimes

Ha! - I've just been bought a new one and the 'techies' have just installed it. 'Fantastic machine - very fast and it gets the 'Mander channel' too - I had to get the NPOR unblocked though as the system thought it was unacceptable or rude or something.

AJJ

PS - Sorry - off topic but teaching types have to communicate sometimes

Well, quite!

:o