Mander Organ Builders Forum

History

DaveHarries

Hi all,

Whilst in Central Bristol today I popped into the Lord Mayor's Chapel which is open to the public on some days during the week. I purchased, out of interest, a list of all the previous Lord Mayors of Bristol. Amid the entries was this:

1551: David Harries

Yes, someone with the same name as me was Lord Mayor of Bristol in 1551! :unsure:

Have you ever found mention of a person with the same name as you in a historical document? Perhaps not but it seems like a good idea for a topic.

Dave

Hi all,

Whilst in Central Bristol today I popped into the Lord Mayor's Chapel which is open to the public on some days during the week. I purchased, out of interest, a list of all the previous Lord Mayors of Bristol. Amid the entries was this:

Yes, someone with the same name as me was Lord Mayor of Bristol in 1551! :unsure:

Have you ever found mention of a person with the same name as you in a historical document? Perhaps not but it seems like a good idea for a topic.

Dave

==============================

Apparently, I was named after the Col.in Chief of the Southern & Argyll regiment; following which they were disbanded!

MM

If you type my name into Australian google, the two that interest me are the harmonica player and the convicted New Zealand sex offender. Other than that there is the guy who used to play Brownlow on "The Bill" who if memory serves could turn his hand to a mean Gilbert and Sullivan. Pretty paltry really.

If you type my name into Australian google, the two that interest me are the harmonica player and the convicted New Zealand sex offender. Other than that there is the guy who used to play Brownlow on "The Bill" who if memory serves could turn his hand to a mean Gilbert and Sullivan. Pretty paltry really.

Similar for me (without the Australian bit). A failed popstar managed by Epstein in the early 1960s and a psychiatrist convicted of sexually assaulting his patients over a period of many years in the North-East. Oh, and a professor of Classics at UCLA.

A jazz pianist. Same name, same age, roughly the same part of the world (Leicester - I grew up in Leicestershire/Rutland). When I worked at Keyboard Review, Roland (digital piano/keyboard manufacturers) once phoned up to ask if I was the person they'd given a free digital piano to. (Sadly not.)

But better was when my old school set up an alumnus website, and asked everyone to input what they'd been up to. On logging in, I found some kindly master had already populated my entry with a list of all the jazz prizes I'd won, concerts I'd given, and best of all, the fact I was now teaching jazz piano at said school.

I suspect the school is still under the delusion that they have appointed an old boy as their jazz piano teacher.

Same here. Type my name into Google and most of the references that come up are to some bloke on the south coast who's under the illusion that he's a musician in the field of less-than-classical music. He seems to have a bit of a following though. Personally I'm suspicious of the whole popularity thing; I reckon that if you're really any good the world isn't going to understand you until long after you're dead. This working hypthesis has been a never-failing comfort to me for many years now. <_<

Same here. Type my name into Google and most of the references that come up are to some bloke on the south coast who's under the illusion that he's a musician in the field of less-than-classical music. He seems to have a bit of a following though. Personally I'm suspicious of the whole popularity thing; I reckon that if you're really any good the world isn't going to understand you until long after you're dead. This working hypthesis has been a never-failing comfort to me for many years now. :blink:

==========================

I suupose tht in the field of "less than classical music" it works both ways.

When Michael Parkinson interviewed Sir Elton John, he asked about the time he dressed as Marie Antoinette.

The explosive reply was, "Marie Antoinette? I dress up as Mozart and everyone thinks I'm Marie Antoinette! Story of my life!"

<_<

MM

Hi all,

Yes, someone with the same name as me was Lord Mayor of Bristol in 1551! B)

Dave

As a teenager in Kent, I regularly played at a local church, where, in the early 1960's, the organ and in particular the update of its console, had been paid for by a family of the same name, with a large plate announcing the fact. My branch of the family was no relation, but it was a sure boost to the ego at 16! (The donor family had a herd of beef named after them too!!!)