Mander Organ Builders Forum

Colin Goulden - Obit

Guest Barry Oakley - voluntarily dereg

Guest Barry Oakley

I was sorry to learn this afternoon of the death of Colin Goulden. He was not a prolific topic poster to this site, but I knew him to be a good and respected friend of Peter Goodman, the former City Organist of Hull.

I was sorry to learn this afternoon of the death of Colin Goulden. He was not a prolific topic poster to this site, but I knew him to be a good and respected friend of Peter Goodman, the former City Organist of Hull.

He was both modest and extremely experienced in the ways of organs, organists and organ music. I know him to have been an extremely valued member of the All Souls' Langham Place music team, and his demonstrations of strange organs for The Organ Club were also very highly valued and greatly enjoyed by everyone present. He really came into his own on Organ Club afternoons when willing victims were in short supply, and he could be relied upon to give a musicianly and highly respectable improvisation upon absolutely any occasion - sometimes he made the nastiest little organs sing. Many of us will miss him.

Early and completely unexpected deaths are always profoundly upsetting. Colin was on very good form at both of the recent Organ Club jaunts that I was able to attend, and there was not the slightest hint that he had not got years and years more fun left in him. One thing is certain, he was 'a force for good' and made friends wherever he went. We should all be so lucky to have that as an epitaph!

R.I.P. Colin!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for your kind words. He will certainly be missed. There will be memorial service for him at All Souls Church on the 17th Novemeber at 11.30am to celebrate his life. If anyone is intending on coming can you please let me know so I can keep track of numbers. If you are a member of the organ club then please indicate this as they will be asked the same question regarding numbers so I don't double count.

Thanks,

Graham