Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments

Guest Barry Williams

Philip Scriven has been appointed Organist in Residence at Cranleigh School, Surrey and will leave Lichfield Cathedral at the end of term. The appointment will enable him to extend his freelance work.

The cathedral Chapter will announce plans concerning the Directorship of Music "in the fullness of time".

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philip Scriven has been appointed Organist in Residence at Cranleigh School, Surrey

....and what a nice new instrument is arriving at about the same time!!

A

• 2 months later...

Thomas Moore - currently Assistant/Acting DOM - is to be the DOM at Wakefield - they are advertising for a new Assistant in the Church Times.

A

• 4 weeks later...

I have noted from the St Paul's Cathedral website that Tim Harper, (Organ Scholar) has been appointed Assistant to the Director of Music at St Philip's Cathedral, Birmingham. There is a young chap - ex-Organ Scholar of St John's, Cambridge - also due to take up the Assistant post at Chichester next month to take over from Simon Lawford who has been holding the fort.

Good news Quentin! Congratulations. But being RC I don't really know what an area dean does - please tell me!!

P

We do have Area Deans in the Roman Catholic church - look in your Diocesan Directory! - though quite what they do in either the Church of England or the Roman Church is beyond me!

My comment, wondering what an Area Dean does, was made as someone who has spent a considerable time as a member of the Church of England - and also of the Roman Catholic Church - and, to most laity as well as clergy and the hierarchry the role of an Area dean is, as the lady said 'what you make it'.

Some do very little - others do too much - others do very little and too much - some even do too much and very little!!!

You work it out!!!!

Guest Patrick Coleman
Nobody's told me either.... :o

Q

I expect the Diocese of Saint Asaph will arrange for the latest research-informed residential training for you...

I have noted from the St Paul's Cathedral website that Tim Harper, (Organ Scholar) has been appointed Assistant to the Director of Music at St Philip's Cathedral, Birmingham.

Incidentally...his parents are both FRCOs - Father (Norman) is at St George's Cathedral and a superb player, Southwark and Mother (Marilyn) a well known organist/teacher in South London.

A

I expect the Diocese of Saint Asaph will arrange for the latest research-informed residential training for you...

Speaking as someone who spent 40 yars in the Civil Service, I doubt whether the Church of Wales can come up with anything that is any worse than some of the time and money wasting training that I have experienced! Nearly all imported from the .....

Malcolm

Speaking as someone who spent 40 yars in the Civil Service, I doubt whether the Church of Wales can come up with anything that is any worse than some of the time and money wasting training that I have experienced! Nearly all imported from the .....

Malcolm

Similar sentiments from one who spent 21 years in state eduaction...