Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments

Guest Barry Williams

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashley Grote has been appointed as the new Master of Choristers at Norwich Cathedral, W/E 1st Sept

I've just returned from a few days in Norwich, can anyone tell me what the set-up here actually is?

The Cathedral website lists David Dunnett as 'Acting Organist and Master of Music' and Tom Primrose as 'Acting Assistant Organist'.

So, who is leaving (or already left), and what will Ashley Grote's role be.

By the way, both the girl choristers and boy choristers sounded very good.

I've just returned from a few days in Norwich, can anyone tell me what the set-up here actually is?

The Cathedral website lists David Dunnett as 'Acting Organist and Master of Music' and Tom Primrose as 'Acting Assistant Organist'.

So, who is leaving (or already left), and what will Ashley Grote's role be.

By the way, both the girl choristers and boy choristers sounded very good.

I don't know about the current set up - but David Dunnett (who I knew when he was a teenager - and I was a lot younger) has been there as Organist for many years - he kindly allowed me to play the organ back in the 1990's - the last time we met.

Obviously, something is going on, but what?

every Blessing

Tony

Thought for a moment 'DD' meant me.....

David Dunnett played for an Evensong when I was at Norwich with the Cathedral Singers of Ontario in 2007. I was very impressed. I thought he had the measure of the organ far more thoroughly than anyone I had heard previously (including incumbents). It's not the easiest beast to balance and can sound oppressive if not handled carefully.

Ashley Grote is a fellow Colcestrian. Us Essex Men are getting in everywhere....

That's right - David Dunnett decided he would rather do the organ playing, so they appointed a separate choir director. I think the same thing happened with Ian Tracey at Liverpool.

======================

Horse & cart, or is it cart & horse?

I think you' find that Ian Tracey was appointed as organist, to replace Noel Rawsthorne, in the days when Ronald Whoane (Sp?) was the Choral Director.

When Ronald retired, the position of Organist & Master of the choristers was created, which meant that Ian presided over the whole .

Since then, Ian has relinquished that responsibility in order to concentrate on other things, but still maintains the position of Organist Emeritus.

MM

Thought for a moment 'DD' meant me.....

You cannot be too careful with initials; elsewhere, in a place frequented by 'mums' it is the accepted shortened form of 'darling daughter'. You may imagine the others.

Sorry to barge in.....

A batch of new Assistans have been appointed

George Castle from Worcester to be Assistant DOM in Winchester

Oliver Hancock from Ely to be Sub Organist at Portsmouth

James Norrey from Llandaff to be Assistant DOM at Newcastle

There is also an appointment imminent from Gloucester

A batch of new Assistans have been appointed

George Castle from Worcester to be Assistant DOM in Winchester

Oliver Hancock from Ely to be Sub Organist at Portsmouth

James Norey from Llandaff to be Assistant DOM at Newcastle

There is also an appointment imminent from Gloucester

Interesting. Where has Christopher A. gone from Worcester?

Dave

======================

Horse & cart, or is it cart & horse?

I think you' find that Ian Tracey was appointed as organist, to replace Noel Rawsthorne, in the days when Ronald Woanwas the Choral Director.

When Ronald retired, the position of Organist & Master of the choristers was created, which meant that Ian presided over the whole .

Since then, Ian has relinquished that responsibility in order to concentrate on other things, but still maintains the position of Organist Emeritus.

MM

Please forgive a note of clarification on this one. Ian's present role at Liverpool is that of 'Organist Titulaire' (as in the case of the French models), NOT 'Organist Emeritus' as stated; which title is still occupied by Noel Rawsthorne, who is very much alive and kicking! The difference, of course, being that Ian still works there (at about 40% of the stat services and most of the non-stats and recitals) andis paid for such; whereas the latter is an honorific title, given (as in the case of the clergy) for excellent service over a long period, and which he may be given... eventually... ; this latter post is not remunerable, neither is the holder expected to be actively involved; quite a different role to Ian's and that of David at Norwich and Colin at Lincoln.....

Please forgive a note of clarification on this one. Ian's present role at Liverpool is that of 'Organist Titulaire' (as in the case of the French models), NOT 'Organist Emeritus' as stated; which title is still occupied by Noel Rawsthorne, who is very much alive and kicking! The difference, of course, being that Ian still works there (at about 40% of the stat services and most of the non-stats and recitals) andis paid for such; whereas the latter is an honorific title, given (as in the case of the clergy) for excellent service over a long period, and which he may be given... eventually... ; this latter post is not remunerable, neither is the holder expected to be actively involved; quite a different role to Ian's and that of David at Norwich and Colin at Lincoln.....

========================

Thanks for putting that matter right by correcting me. I didn't know that we had any titulaires in the UK, but we've had a few titled ones in the past; which of course the French never have because they're all peasants.

I recall Ian demonstrating the organ at Liverpool from the nave console, and as he reached a crescendo, two Scouser lads walked past me as one said to the other, "That's one 'ell of a mixin' desk."

I can imagine it now; the cathedral notice board announcing, "Organ bassline with DC Tracey." ;)

MM

Was not Léonce de Saint-Martin titled "Vicomte", his father being Count Henri Saint-Martin de Paylha? Fairly aristocratic :P

There's some decent music of his on YouTube, recorded in ND deP

Was not Léonce de Saint-Martin titled "Vicomte",

I seem to recall once playing an electronic device titled' Vicomte' - or something similar.......

A

========================

I didn't know that we had any titulaires in the UK, but we've had a few titled ones in the past;

MM

And when was the last time a British cathedral musician was knighted?

(Semi-rhetorical question; the answer is: far too long ago.)

Probably too "elitist" for the powers-that-be who decide on these things nowadays. Grrrrr!

I seem to recall once playing an electronic device titled' Vicomte' - or something similar.......

A

Amazingly versatile the French aristos, I flew in one a couple of times in my earlier days...

Leonce de St. Martin was indeed a count (not a viscount) - Monsieur le Comte. He was derided by some for being a 'salon' organist (and published a number of interesting transcriptions which would make good lollipops at recitals for those not scared witless by their technical demands), but his music probably deserves more exposure than it gets.

The last "Sir" to be organist at a cathedral was surely Sir Nicholas Jackson, who was at St. David's for a while, but his title is a hereditary baronetcy, created in 1913 for the architect Sir Thomas Jackson (who designed some good organ cases).

Thanks for putting that matter right by correcting me. I didn't know that we had any titulaires in the UK, but we've had a few titled ones in the past; which of course the French never have because they're all peasants.

I recall Ian demonstrating the organ at Liverpool from the nave console, and as he reached a crescendo, two Scouser lads walked past me as one said to the other, "That's one 'ell of a mixin' desk."

I can imagine it now; the cathedral notice board announcing, "Organ bassline with DC Tracey." ;)

MM

That made me laugh. Churchmouse should have that for her next book, if she does another one.

Dave

========================

MM

There was also the late Ronald Perrin (Ripon Cathedral), who became Organiste Titulaire (which they spelled correctly, unlike Liverpool....) at Ripon a few years prior to his death. He expressed a wish to devote more time to composition. In addition, apparently he had grown tired of dealing with the gentlemen of the choir (for whatever reason).