Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments

Guest Barry Williams

There was also the late Ronald Perrin...(apparently he had grown tired of dealing with the gentlemen of the choir (for whatever reason).

Given the well-publicised troubles at that establishment a few years ago, might the problems also (really?) been with a (now deceased) senior member of the chapter?

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was not Léonce de Saint-Martin titled "Vicomte", his father being Count Henri Saint-Martin de Paylha? Fairly aristocratic :P

There's some decent music of his on YouTube, recorded in ND deP

==========================

What exactly was the point of the guillotine if it didn't get rid of the aristos?

I can see that the French need a new cutting-edge solution to this problem.

MM

Don't quote me on it, but I always understood that France was teeming with titled citizens, but that they are in no way a class apart from ordinary folk. I suspect the guillotine is responsible somehow for "shaping" society in this way. I spent part of my first year at the RCM in digs with a family who had engaged the services of a young French countess as an au pair for their two children. How are the mighty fallen!

And when was the last time a British cathedral musician was knighted?

(Semi-rhetorical question; the answer is: far too long ago.)

Probably too "elitist" for the powers-that-be who decide on these things nowadays. Grrrrr!

Sir John Dykes Bower in the 1960's - and later sir David Willcocks - anyone since?

This has been discussed before on the 'old' forum. David Willcocks', David Lumsden's and Philip Ledger's knighthoods arose from their services to music in their positions as conservatoire Principals, rather than their services as cathedral musicians - which they undoubtedly were. The last knighthood was surely to George Thalben-Ball, while the last organist to achieve a comparable honour (for services to music as an organist) was Dame Gillian Weir. Dame is the female equivalent of a knighthood in the British honours system.

................ last organist to achieve a comparable honour (for services to music as an organist) was Dame Gillian Weir. Dame is the female equivalent of a knighthood in the British honours system.

If my memory serves me right, she told me that this was bestowed upon her from New Zealand.

N

Given the well-publicised troubles at that establishment a few years ago, might the problems also (really?) been with a (now deceased) senior member of the chapter?

No. No point in dregding all that up again, but RP was before his time.

JS

Also - interesting - Iain Simcock now installed at St Mungo's Cathedral Glasgow [.....]

Apologies for taking this thread partly off-topic but it sounds like another appointment will already have to be made at St. Mungo's Cahtedral, Glasgow: Ian Simcock's appointment there seems to have come to an abrupt end according to a report in today's edition of the Daily Telegraph. I was unaware of this until my Mum, who reads the paper, pointed it out:

http://www.telegraph...he-singers.html

Dave

From Gloucester website:

Gloucester Cathedral today announced that Anthony Gowing is to be the new Assistant Director of Music at Gloucester Cathedral. The current post holder, Ashley Grote, will take up the position of Director of Music at Norwich Cathedral in August.

Anthony Gowing is currently Assistant Director of Music at Sheffield Cathedral, and Director of the Cathedral’s Schola Cantorum. After a spell at The Royal Academy of Music in London, Anthony has worked extensively as an organist, pianist and singer. His organ teachers were Colin Walsh, John Keys and Nicholas Danby. He was a semi-finalist in the 2007 St. Albans International Organ Competition, and has recently studied with Thierry Escaich in Paris.

In addition to his Cathedral duties, Anthony is an active pianist and accompanist. He is also an avid jazz pianist and a keen composer and arranger.

Anthony said: “I am delighted to take up this exciting position and to be working alongside some world class musicians. I am also very much looking forward to playing on the wonderful Gloucester Cathedral organ which I have completely fallen in love with – it’s unlike any other Cathedral organ.”

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The RSCM has announced this afternoon the appointment of Andrew Reid (Peterborough Cathedral) as its Director in succession to Lindsay Gray.

A good choice and complete with Mrs Reid FRCO also.

A

The following is an extract (written by the vicar) from this week's on-line notice sheet of All Saints' Margaret Street:

After nearly 10 years at All Saints, Paul Brough now wishes to have the freedom to explore new opportunities in his increasingly busy professional career. Paul has contributed a major amount in improving the music tradition at All Saints and we are deeply grateful for all he has achieved. We give thanks for all that he has given and look forward to the coming months. We will announce at a later date details of opportunities to pay a fuller tribute to Paul's work here. We are grateful that Paul has given us such a long period of notice, leaving at the end of April 2013. The search for a replacement will begin after the summer holidays, and our intention is that the new Director of Music will be in post as soon as Paul leaves.

• 2 weeks later...

Copied from The Bell - The Magazine of the Cathedral and Parish of Llandaff

NEW ASSISTANT ORGANIST

Sachin Gunga, M.A., M.Mus., A.R.C.O., presently Senior Organ Scholar of Wells Cathedral, has been appointed as Assistant Organist (from 1st September) to succeed James Norrey, who is moving to a post at Newcastle Cathedral.

Prior to his current appointment Sachin had been Head Chorister and later bass at Derby Cathedral, bass Choral Scholar and later Organist at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, and Organ Scholar at Truro Cathedral.