Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments

Guest Barry Williams

In the case of ours, pretentiousness. In the nineteenth century it proclaimed itself a cathedral in all but name and it still thinks the same way. This in a place that hasn't any music worthy of the name, where there is no interest in providing any, where the DoM is a instrumentalist without any background in church music and where the current organist can barely play hymns (both appointments having been made from within the congregation). This is a different thread though.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the case of ours, pretentiousness. In the nineteenth century it proclaimed itself a cathedral in all but name and it still thinks the same way. This in a place that hasn't any music worthy of the name, where there is no interest in providing any, where the DoM is a instrumentalist without any background in church music and where the current organist can barely play hymns (both appointments having been made from within the congregation). This is a different thread though.

You've got me all nosey now. Roughly what part of the country are we talking about??

I was thinking more along the lines of North or South of a line drawn between the Severn and the Wash. I always felt this was a good dividing line between The North and The South and was rather pleased to discover that it's not far off marking the borders of the Danelaw in pre-Conquest times. (Roughly the same geographical division separates those who, shall we say, call a street thief a 'mooger' and those who call him a "mugger").

Actually, having lived in Orkney, I tend to think of anywhere below the Pentland Firth as "Sooth"....

• 1 month later...

Chris Barton is leaving St Woolos after an exceptionally long innings. He has always seemed very active and enthusiastic and I have enjoyed the times we have worked together.

"After 35 years as organist and master of the choristers, Christopher Barton has tendered his resignation with immediate effect. On behalf of the Cathedral Chapter and the whole Cathedral community, I place on record our thanks to Christopher for his long and committed service to the choir and wider musical life of the Cathedral. The training and musical opportunities he has brought to successive generations of choristers have made his name synonymous, for many, with St Woolos' Cathedral choir. We also wish to thank Christopher, Jo, Oliver and Francesca for the contribution they have made to the whole life of the Cathedral. We wish them every blessing for the future".

"...with immediate effect..."? Seems a bit drastic.

I tried typing the first sentence into Google and came up with the announcement quoted by Blackadder on a page entitled "Newport Cathedral Choir Homepage 01/14", so I wonder whether this news isn't six months old already. A link at the bottom of the page entitled "updated 26 July 2014" takes you, predictably, to some choir updates.

I tried typing the first sentence into Google and came up with the announcement quoted by Blackadder on a page entitled "Newport Cathedral Choir Homepage 01/14", so I wonder whether this news isn't six months old already. A link at the bottom of the page entitled "updated 26 July 2014" takes you, predictably, to some choir updates.

Indeed - I had also heard of his departure some months ago.

"...with immediate effect..."? Seems a bit drastic.

I can think of several reasons why someone might resign 'with immediate effect' and I'm not sure it is appropriate for us to be discussing it here.

Of course you did. It's a shame you didn't let the forum know this back then (and the cathedral congregation!).

Why should I? There is no automatic right for anyone outside that cathedral staff and congregation to know this. As it happens, I was told of this by my colleague, who was informed of the fact by a member of the cathedral staff. Since, in any case, this made it third-hand information, I had no intention of passing on what might have turned out to be nothing more than inaccurate gossip.

Since, in any case, this made it third-hand information, I had no intention of passing on what might have turned out to be nothing more than inaccurate gossip.

Very properly too. The inadvisability of posting unsubstantiated allegations and premature announcements on this forum before the appropriate protocols have been followed and the information confirmed has been raised here more than once. See posts 337-347 and 366-373, not to mention 204.

I can think of several reasons why someone might resign 'with immediate effect' and I'm not sure it is appropriate for us to be discussing it here.

Indeed. And I wasn't suggesting that we should.

I can think of several people who have been either temporarily or permanently banned from this forum by the administrator for comments less rude and offensive than some of those that Blackadder has been posting recently under this and another topic.

This is supposed to be a friendly forum for like minded people. Let's keep it that way, please.

Malcolm