Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments

Guest Barry Williams

Nigel McClintock perhaps? The organ there now is rather splendid - Kenneth Jones worked on it recently - West end, 4 Man., terraced console etc. The spec. doesn't seem to have made it on line yet though.

AJJ

That is correct, and who'd have thought that a protestant would have been running the job in a RC church in Belfast of all places. Progress!!

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know organists are a different breed than the divided factions in N.I. but I recall on a visit there in 1991 that the civic organist post at Londonderry city hall was jointly held by the organists at the two cathedrals in the city. Anyone know if this is still the case?

Guest Barry Williams
That is correct, and who'd have thought that a protestant would have been running the job in a RC church in Belfast of all places. Progress!!

I understand that Mr McClintock will take up his new post in January. It remains to be seen whether there will be an open competition for the apparent vacancy at Croydon Parish Church.

Barry Williams

Guest Barry Williams

I have just learned that a Mr David Hirst BA MA MBA ARCO has been appointed to a senior position in an organ building company in Durham. Can anyone confirm this information please?

Barry Williams

Guest Barry Williams

It seems to be confirmed that Mr David Poulter will commence duties as D of M at Liverpool Cathedral in January.

Barry Williams

Not so very different, though, from the common situation of an atheist running the music in very many religious edifices.

That's an interesting point that has been raised before and a very worthwhile observation. Perhaps some of our clergy members could explain their views on this. I've heard both extremes; the 'I'd rather have an enthusiastic Christian organist even if they are not the best person on the shortlist (assuming there is a shortlist), than a top drawer organist who sees it purely as a job rather than part of their Christian service.

What do clergy ask their prospective organists about their faith? Do they ask at all in cathedrals and big jobs where skill would always seem to overide any spiritual considerations?

It seems to be confirmed that Mr David Poulter will commence duties as D of M at Liverpool Cathedral in January.

Barry Williams

Indeed............................the Cathedral website carries the following announcement from the acting Dean

New Director of Music announced

15 October 2007

The Chapter of Liverpool Cathedral are pleased to announce that they have appointed Mr. David Poulter as their new Director of Music.

Mr. Poulter, a father of two children, has spent his entire life in Cathedral music. He began his career as a chorister at Rochester Cathedral, was educated at the King’s School Rochester, winning a prestigious Foundation scholarship to The Royal College of Music, and on completion of his study, the Walford-Davies prize, before post-graduate study at London University . His professional experience includes posts at Cranbrook School , Tunbridge Wells School , and Rochester, Coventry and Chester Cathedrals (where, for the past 10 years, he has been Director of Music).

He will have responsibility for recruitment and direction of the several vocal ensembles (Boys, Girls, Lay Clerks, Cathedral Singers & Orchestra) at the seven choral services each week, at special services and concerts, and will assume overall responsibility for direction of the Cathedral’s music programme.

On his appointment, Professor Ian Tracey assumes the newly created role of “Organist Titulaire”; retaining complementary responsibility for all matters relating to the cathedral’s organs and organ recitals, whilst having the freedom to devote more time to concerts, recitals, recording, lecturing, teaching and writing.

Mr. Poulter takes up his post on January 15th 2008.

Canon Anthony Hawley, Acting Dean.

Guest Barry Williams
Not so very different, though, from the common situation of an atheist running the music in very many religious edifices.

Brahms, Stanford and Parry were agnostics. Ralph Vaughan Williams FRCO had to leave his post as organist for religious reasons. The newly appointed (1899) incumbent at St Barnabas, South Lambeth, required RVW to take Holy Communion which the great man felt, in all conscience, he could not do. Yet a few years later he was editing the English Hymnal.

Barry Williams

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Barry Williams

I understand from a reliable source that Mr Christopher Moore has resigned from St Michael's Croydon.

Barry Williams

I understand from a reliable source that Mr Christopher Moore has resigned from St Michael's Croydon. This is, perhaps, understandable, as it is an unusual and possibly difficult situation*, notwithstanding the repertoire.

Barry Williams

*Those of us well away from the South and inadequately au fait with the more critical points of certain posts 'down there' might appreciate a hint as to what exactly this comment means.

To facilitate your reply, Barry, perhaps you might just like to indicate whether problems are allegedly down to a local representative of the almighty.

Guest Barry Williams
*Those of us well away from the South and inadequately au fait with the more critical points of certain posts 'down there' might appreciate a hint as to what exactly this comment means.

To facilitate your reply, Barry, perhaps you might just like to indicate whether problems are allegedly down to a local representative of the almighty.

Please read my post. I did not refer to problems.

Barry Williams

Please read my post. I did not refer to problems, merely to 'an unusual and possibly difficult situation, notwithstanding the repertoire.'

Barry Williams

Yes, but what meaning is the phrase "notwithstanding the repertoire" supposed to convey? It means nothing to me. I take it it's some sort of "in joke" that only those in the know will appreciate.

Can a difficult situation not be a problem? And an unusual one even more so, as there is so little precedent as to how to extricate oneself. Examples might help to elucidate this interesting philosophical point.

Please read my post. I did not refer to problems, merely to 'an unusual and possibly difficult situation, notwithstanding the repertoire.'

Barry Williams

Barry, leaving comments like this are not really helpful are they? I'm sure that those of you 'in the know' might understand them, but for those of us in the 'provinces', they mean absolutely nothing at all.

Might I request that, unless you are going to expand and draw us all in to the discussion, you refrain from this 'elitest' style of posting, unless it is your intention to, like mushrooms, keep us in the dark and feed us shite. :P

• 2 months later...
Guest Barry Williams

I have just heard that Mr Andrew Cantrill of Brandean School has been appointed to Croydon Parish Church and will take up the post in a month or two.

Barry Williams

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Geoff McMahon

Please note, everyone, that the interviews for the York Minster post have not yet been held, so speculation here about anyone "walking into" anything there is inappropriate. I have deleted half a dozen speculative posts on this thread, beginning with the link to the BBC Lay Clerks board, and would ask you to be so kind as to avoid the subject of the succession at York Minster so as not to risk compromising the selection process. (The post on the BBC board has been deleted for the same reason.)

Rachel Mawhood, Webmaster, Mander Organs

Please note, everyone, that the interviews for the York Minster post have not yet been held, so speculation here about anyone "walking into" anything there is inappropriate. I have deleted half a dozen speculative posts on this thread, beginning with the link to the BBC Lay Clerks board, and would ask you to be so kind as to avoid the subject of the succession at York Minster so as not to risk compromising the selection process. (The post on the BBC board has been deleted for the same reason.)

Rachel Mawhood, Webmaster, Mander Organs

Rachel,

My apologies if I started something which I shouldn't have!

For clarification, the Lay Clerks' Mailbase (http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/lay-clerks/) is in no way connected to the BBC. I merely referred to a post from another member which included a link to a BBC message board.

Best wishes,

Douglas.

Guest Geoff McMahon
Rachel,

My apologies if I started something which I shouldn't have!

S'okay but we had to move quickly.

Kind regards

Rachel Mawhood

Webmaster, Mander Organs

• 6 months later...

Friends have emailed me from Bournemouth to say the new Director of Music at St Peter's Bournemouth is to be David Coram, assistant at Romsey and active member of this forum. I imagine David will miss the Walker at Romsey but will be looking forward to being in charge at this church where I seem to remember there is a good musical tradition. Congratulations to David and I am sure we all wish him well.

M

Friends have emailed me from Bournemouth to say the new Director of Music at St Peter's Bournemouth is to be David Coram, assistant at Romsey and active member of this forum. I imagine David will miss the Walker at Romsey but will be looking forward to being in charge at this church where I seem to remember there is a good musical tradition. Congratulations to David and I am sure we all wish him well.

M

Congratulations David!

A