Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments

Guest Barry Williams

Someone told me recently that new teaching contracts at the RNCM are for life but include the option of zero hours and zero pay.

Could still make the prospectus look attractive though. Great for conning students into going there. (Oh, dear me, what a scandalous suggestion!)

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I read somewhere that Widor was "Acting" for the whole of his time at St Sulpice. Does anyone know if that's true?

Ian

I've read it, I think on a CD insert, and that it was much to Widor's amusement after several decades of service.

Hello,

I think I read somewhere that Widor was "Acting" for the whole of his time at St Sulpice. Does anyone know if that's true?

from 1870 to 1934 Widor (1844-1937) was organist at St. Sulpice. In 1934 he retired. 64 years ...

Cheers

tiratutti

Hello,

from 1870 to 1934 Widor (1844-1937) was organist at St. Sulpice. In 1934 he retired. 64 years ...

Cheers

tiratutti

Well, yes - but my understanding too, is that he was never officially appointed titulaire. I have also read this, although not on a CD insert.

Ian

Widor's application wasn't universally popular as he had studied abroad rather than at the Paris Conservatoire. According to Near's PhD thesis of 1985 (pp48-49) (quoting Dupre "Souvenirs" p39 - Dupre/Kneeream"Recollections" p 46) the then parish priest, in a not unfamiliar clerical manoevre, appointed Widor as organist as of Jan 1st 1870 "pour un an ,...et vous ferai savoir le 1er janvier prochain si je puis vous titulariser...", conveniently 'forgot' about this 'temporary' arrangement and Widor happily retired on Dec 31st 1933 as "organiste provisoire depuis soixante-quarante ans"

• 1 month later...
Quote from the Lay Clerks' List, posted on Wednesday 26th:

"Dr Alan Thurlow announced his intention to retire with effect from Easter 2008 to the congregation at Chichester on Sunday morning."

Earlier this year I purchased a book about the history of the organs at Chichester Cathedral. It doesn't mention Sarah Baldock so someone needs to do an update of that publication.

Dave

Further to the departure of Adrian Lucas from Worcester, this message comes from the website of Worcester Cathedral:

-------------------------------------

APPOINTMENT OF ORGANIST AND DIRECTOR OF MUSIC

The Chapter has initiated the appointment process for a new Organist and Director of Music, in succession to Adrian Lucas, who will leave his post at Christmas this year. The Chapter has appointed a selection panel with an external professional adviser. The Chapter has invited comments on the appointment from the Cathedral Community and other interested bodies, and is grateful for all the comments made. The post will be advertised on 9 September 2011, when a pack, comprising background information, personal specification, job description and terms and conditions of employment will be available. The closing date for applications will be 29 September. Invitations to interview will be sent out on 10 October, and the interviews will be held on 21, 22 and 23 November. The new Organist and Director of Music will take up the appointment no later than Monday 23 April 2012.

-------------------------------------

HTIOI,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Having slid off on a tangent on YouTube, I see that Kent Tritle has been appointed Director of Music and Organist of the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, New York City, following Bruce Neswick's move to the Jacobs School of Music, University of Indiana. Kent was previously at St. Ignatius Loyola, NYC, in charge of our hosts' fabulous organ there, so he's going from one of the best organs in New York to the other.

I see in Church Times that Westminster Abbey is advertisinig for an assistant organist from January 2012. Does anyone know where Jamie McVinnie is going?

Malcolm

Also the post at Worcester is advertised today and an exciting job going at Kendal Parish church!

Also the post at Worcester is advertised today and an exciting job going at Kendal Parish church!

And per the new issue of Choir and Organ Daniel Cook is going to be in charge of the music at St David's Cathedral. I thought he would be a likely cadidate for promotion before long because he has so much ability and enthusiasm and has probably reached a stage where he needs to be in charge.

Malcolm

...and also congrats. to one of our number who has recently left Kendal and is now Assistant DOM at St Mary's Warwick.

A

...and also congrats. to one of our number who has recently left Kendal and is now Assistant DOM at St Mary's Warwick.

A

Well, almost - he's leaving Kendal on 26th September and starting at Warwick on 1st October...!

Could this answer your question?

David Harrison

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-20...r-Facebook.html

Sorry to disappoint, but the chap in the article, who was named if you read it, is Edward Tambling- the previous organ scholar- not Jamie who was the Assistant Organist. Edward has been replaced by Andrej Kousnetsov, previously organ scholar of Salisbury.

No idea where Jamie is going however.

Sorry to disappoint, but the chap in the article, who was named if you read it, is Edward Tambling- the previous organ scholar- not Jamie who was the Assistant Organist. Edward has been replaced by Andrej Kousnetsov, previously organ scholar of Salisbury.

No idea where Jamie is going however.

Yes, I did read it, but it occurred to me that the correspondent whose post I quoted might not have had the correct name offered him. Obviously you have read the article which refers to the Abbey sacking a composer. There might well have been a touch of misunderstanding all round here. Anyway, we await the news of Mr Vinnie’s replacement and his destination.

David Harrison

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Jamie McVinnie is hitting the freelance circuit. There does seem to be a lot of movement going on at the moment! I fear the Yorkshire Diocese boundary changes will mean Bradford struggle to appoint an appropriate successor for Andrew Teague.