Mander Organ Builders Forum

Appointments

Guest Barry Williams

I believe Jamie McVinnie is hitting the freelance circuit. There does seem to be a lot of movement going on at the moment! I fear the Yorkshire Diocese boundary changes will mean Bradford struggle to appoint an appropriate successor for Andrew Teague.

=============================

I can't really see why it should make any difference from a practical and structural point of view; assuming that anyone would want to live or work in Bradford in the first instance.

I may be wrong, but the proposed boundary changes are probably linked to a classic consolidation and rationlisation re-structuring; possibly to reduce overheads and costs across three exisitng diocese. Although in a recovering phase, Bradford was managed disastrously in the recent past, and even the choir split away to form "The Bradford Choristers."

I can certainly see the case for consolidating the diocesan management and finances, because Bradford has taken quite a battering over the years.

I've never met Andrew Teague, but he is clearly held in high regard and has done some good work, as well as healed the schism he inherited.

Of course, combining three diocese would create a monster diocese, with several cathedrals to its credit.

The other thing which intrigues me is the "job description" for the Bradford Cathedral vacancy, which is nothing of the sort. It is little more than a potted history of Bradford and the Cathedral Choir; carefully avoiding the chequered history and grave injustices meeted out to certain past DOM's.

MM

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

=============================

Although in a recovering phase, Bradford was managed disastrously in the recent past, and even the choir split away to form "The Bradford Choristers."

Depends how you define "recent". The events referred to were in the mid-1970s (I was on an RSCM course in 1979 with the then former Organist).

Depends how you define "recent". The events referred to were in the mid-1970s (I was on an RSCM course in 1979 with the then former Organist).

================================

I can't quite reconcile your dates. ... [deleted by moderator] Things may be better now....I don't know and don't care much.

MM

Guest Geoff McMahon

MM, please engage brain for one second before posting and making unsubstantiated allegations and defaming organists.

Moderator, Mander Organs

================================

I can't quite reconcile your dates. ...

MM

Apologies - I think I need to stand corrected. On reflection I think said person was probably still in post at the time I mentioned (though not for much longer).

Daniel Cook from Salisbury Cathedral - to be Organist and Master of the Choristers at St. David's Cathedral. (Church Times 23-9-11)

Mr. Cook's post at Salisbury becomes vacant 01-Nov-2011. There is an advert on Salisbury Cathedral's website already for his replacement there.

http://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/recru...t.vacancies.php

Dave

MM, please engage brain for one second before posting and making unsubstantiated allegations and defaming organists.

Moderator, Mander Organs

===============================

By all means remove my comments, that is your privilege, but you are wrong to suggest that they were either defamatory or unsubstantiated.

I, and many others, were signatories to a petition in support of the late Keith Rhodes, and subesquent events were no less ugly.

The facts are all on public record, and contained in the archives of the Bradford "Telegraph & Argus."

I'm certain things are now better at Bradford, if only on the basis that they couldn't have got any worse than they once were.

MM

• 2 weeks later...
I believe Jamie McVinnie is hitting the freelance circuit. There does seem to be a lot of movement going on at the moment! I fear the Yorkshire Diocese boundary changes will mean Bradford struggle to appoint an appropriate successor for Andrew Teague.

You may like to know that Alex Woodrow, Asst.Org. Hexham Abbey, has been appointed DOM at Bradford Cathedral w.e.f. January 2012.

A

Laurence Lyndon Jones, currently organ scholar at Chester is appointed assistant D of M at Coventry in the new year. An excellent organist and choir man, well deserved. Puts Chester in a spot though as they were working on the assumption he was here till next summer.

You may like to know that Alex Woodrow, Asst.Org. Hexham Abbey, has been appointed DOM at Bradford Cathedral w.e.f. January 2012.

A

....and Marcus Wibberley from Portsmouth Cathedral is the new DOM at Hexham from November.

A

• 4 weeks later...
anyone know what is happening with appointing a sub organist at Salisbury? surely they have one by now? or, as i suspect, has daniel cook postponed his move to wales until they find someone?

The Recruitment page of the Cathedral website gives the interview dates for the Assistant Director of Music as 14-16 November.

In the Job Description, which can be downloaded from the Recruitment page, it says "It is hoped that the successful candidate will take up the appointment as early in 2012 as possible."

RAC

Very best wishes to David Stevens as he prepares to take up his new post at Belfast Cathedral. He has a daunting task head of him, but I'm sure it can be done!

I'm sorry to act or to appear dim on this subject. What is wrong at Belfast ? What has happened ? In the states, we're often the last to learn of particular problems or challenges.

Please inform.

• 2 weeks later...